U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:59 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,097,795 times

Advertisements

I am a morning person. I wake naturally anywhere between 4 and 6. No alarm.
I do this naturally and I find the morning is my favorite part of the day. I get a lot accomplished before work and really enjoy leisurely drinking my coffee, watching tv, surfing the net, laundry, cleaning etc.
I also enjoy the quiet.
When my kids were babies, I did stay up late (for me lol probably around midnight) partly to have some quiet time I guess. But never been a late riser. Even if I go to sleep late, I will be up pretty early.
DH is a night owl.
Curious to see in retirement if it changes but I don't think so. The only thing that might change a little is maybe a mid afternoon short nap and then I might be up later. but I think I will always be an early riser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
I used to sleep a lot when I was younger.

I remember on weekends when I was in high school, we would sleep until 1 or 2 in the afternoon!!

They do say you need more sleep when you are growing.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,696,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why do you set an alarm for the days you have nothing planned? Will you continue that in retirement?
I plan on having structured days in retirement because I've seen relatives retire with no schedule or structure in their days and that's not a lifestyle I particularly like. I also want to make sure I don't oversleep (more than 8 hours) because if I do I feel like crap.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:29 AM

154 posts, read 99,796 times
Ever since I had that 3rd shift job (40 years ago, lasted less than 2 years), I've been an early morning person. Never needed an alarm clock. Even retired, in bed by 9, usually up around 3.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 AM

8,948 posts, read 7,725,979 times
It is near impossible for me to wake up when it is still dark outside. I force myself to do it 2-3 times a week to play golf in the summer so we start early and beat the heat. If left up to me I would get up about 9am. Usually in bed by 11pm.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:58 AM

14,364 posts, read 7,913,715 times
I haven't changed a bit. I've been a night owl since I was a little girl and I'm a night owl now. I was out on my bike from midnight after walking the dogs until 2am. I went to bed at 5am. My cardiologist put me on 40 mg's of Lipitor that made me do nothing but sleep for about 3 weeks, but I'm back to not sleeping and staying up half of the night again. Fridays are hard days for me because I have to be up at 9am for roller skating at 10am. Those days are killer. Other then that. I don't do mornings. Wow I just realized that I roller skated for two hours, worked in the yard, walked the dogs after the news for over an hour and rode my bike for two hours yesterday. So much for the Lipitor. I'm back to normal.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I plan on having structured days in retirement because I've seen relatives retire with no schedule or structure in their days and that's not a lifestyle I particularly like. I also want to make sure I don't oversleep (more than 8 hours) because if I do I feel like crap.
I know people will say that you don't need structured days in retirement, but I'm like you.

I hate having people call me up at 8 or so in the morning to go do something. Just like I didn't like to talk that early - I don't like to be bothered that early.

And yes, I am up, but I am lounging with my coffee! Now if we had plans to meet for breakfast at 9 - I will get up and go, since I have it on my "schedule".

And another thing they might want to go shop at crappy trinket stores or yard sales - hell to the NO. They have finally left me alone about that.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:05 PM

6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
4/5 am awake, usually read, go back to sleep. Today, arose at 5 am or so, have been getting a few chores completed as well as Post here, be on the computer. My internal clock wants to retire 9:30 p.m. or thereabouts.

Changed have you, now as a retiree from a night owl to a rooster (morning person) or vice versa ?
Not really. I like the mornings, and I like the nights. I don't like mid-day. That is the same as I was when working.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,202,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Both, it seems. I love the quiet of the early morning to be outside with the dogs or read with my coffee. The most I sleep in, if I do, is 8:30. I stay up most nights til 1 or 2. Afternoon naps make this pattern possible, when it happens. Mostly I just go with the flow of when my body says to sleep. I like this new, natural sleep pattern. A lot.
That's what I do too. I love the mornings because it's quiet but then I'm up late watching tv. But in between I need my nap time. If I miss it.. I get a little cranky.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:22 PM

1,566 posts, read 578,242 times
My rising time varies, now that I am retired. But as a person with health issues, sometimes I need to get up at odd hours, so that can interrupt my sleep.

Hubby and I stay up later than we did in working days, and I enjoy reading late at night. We usually get up around 8:00 am. And we never rule out an afternoon, early evening nap -- if we feel like one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement