U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:16 PM

19,889 posts, read 18,900,996 times

Advertisements

Always a night owl. When I was young, I used to stay up really late reading or doing art projects. I tend to get wound about 11pm and start to feel creative and productive. Trouble is, needing to sleep until at least 10 in the morning to make up for it.

Like others, I do not like commotion before 10am and when I was working I would tell people not to speak to me before 10. People know better than to call me on the phone before 10. Appointments are always made for the afternoon.

Actually, in a northern winter, I see no need to get out early. Wait a while and chances are the sun will have melted some of the ice and snow! Often the sun will have cleaned the snow off your car.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I am very thrilled that the people who do NOT get up at 4am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am etc are coming out of the woodwork on this thread!!

finally!!

In the past, it's always been mostly the extremely early risers who post in a thread like this.:^)
There is a post about the way the hospital could do tests. I almost questioned that option.

I am a very hard core night person. Prime writing time is between midnight and dawn. And if I'm doing something requiring silence, especially when I had the apartment and there was a lot of noise, I slept through morning and woke up after lunch, and would be nice and awake when the outside world quieted down.

Back when I had a relationship, the one thing which did work was neither of us liked mornings and did stay up way into the wee hours.

I can't explain why I love the night, but I do. I started calling myself nightbird a LONG time ago. When I was a teen, I'd go to bed and a wait until Mom went to bed and then sneek down into the tv room and watch tv with the sound low until I got sleepy.

And yes, this is nice, except the one post where hospital tests are a 'good' option. I think a lot of people who got up early, rushed through the day, and were so tired they crashed after dinner might find that once the constraints are gone, there is a nightowl hiding inside, but they might feel guilty about it.

I've read where our 'schedules' are not just environmental. They are within. Night people were likely night babies and night kids too. They were the kids who zoned out through the first few classes at school. We can change the behavior, but not the ways we take in the world. I liked taking the classes that I loved in the afternoon, since I was wide awake and enjoyed them. Math I hated, and first class in the morning was fine.

What I do now, is I go to bed when I'm sleepy. It's usually sometime just before sunup. Did I mention how much I hate mornings, with all that rushing about your supposed to do? I get up mid afternoon. If I have to get up early, I'll manage, but online ordering and home delivery is a wonderful thing.

If you remember back when you were in school, and over the summer slept in and woke up in time for lunch, and it just came naturally, then that's probably what nature meant you be. When nobody is dictating your bedtime, the *BEST* sleep you'll get is doing it the way your body scheduled it by itself. I remember this other study I read about which looked at how long you sleep. It seems to be genetic. If you deny the extra sleep, the last few hours awake are just allowed to float by. I would bet that if you are a night owl or a morning person is also programmed in.

Just never start a thread of amazon music picks where your really enjoying it and somehow three hours went by and the sun is seeping in under the blinds. Also avoid looking at your old stories posted years ago or you may miss lunch too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM

6,997 posts, read 3,884,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I plan on having structured days in retirement because I've seen relatives retire with no schedule or structure in their days and that's not a lifestyle I particularly like. I also want to make sure I don't oversleep (more than 8 hours) because if I do I feel like crap.
And many people look forward to not having structure in their retirement, that being a large reward of that retirement. Have you always strictly structured your life? I will never worry about sleeping too much and trust my body to tell me what is the right amount. Interesting how two people can approach the same situation with polar opposite outlooks.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And many people look forward to not having structure in their retirement, that being a large reward of that retirement. Have you always strictly structured your life? I will never worry about sleeping too much and trust my body to tell me what is the right amount. Interesting how two people can approach the same situation with polar opposite outlooks.
Are you trying to convince me of something, or critique the choices I've made, or present your preferences as superior? I'm having a hard time understanding your point.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 PM

6,997 posts, read 3,884,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Are you trying to convince me of something, or critique the choices I've made, or present your preferences as superior? I'm having a hard time understanding your point.
Just read my last sentence again. Some people abide with necessary structure their whole working career and can't wait to break out, others are more comfortable continuing what they've always done. I'm sure there must be some who after having a career with a lot of freedom and change would also be presented with challenges in retirement - do those people opt for more freedom or more structure?

Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 PM

9 posts, read 2,597 times
Night Owl...

Always have been. Sometimes not convenient in life, but that's just how it is. Lol

Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Just read my last sentence again. Some people abide with necessary structure their whole working career and can't wait to break out, others are more comfortable continuing what they've always done. I'm sure there must be some who after having a career with a lot of freedom and change would also be presented with challenges in retirement - do those people opt for more freedom or more structure?
Ah - OK then. My natural tendency is to be something of a disorganized slob. I make my bed first thing in the morning and put laundry in the hamper because if I don't do those things I'll be living in a mess. Same with my schedule: if I don't organize I'll end up doing nothing and regretting it. I'm a P rather than a J in Myers-Briggs terms, meaning I prefer to take things as they come. But if I do, I usually tend toward excess.

Being organized and structuring my days is a skill I have to work at. This has been true in my pre-retirement life, and I want to continue working at it in my retirement. I watched my father's father retire as a machinist and sit smoking cigarettes in front of the TV until he died. I watched my mother do the same thing. That's what I'm afraid of -- and why I have lists of the projects, hobbies, and other activities I want to pursue in retirement.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Early Mornings and Late nights for me...

But I am not worth a darn in between those times!

Certainly SLEEP is not in the schedule (nor has it every been)

As a farmer type... I really hate burning daylight. I have never figured out why Schools. Libraries, and offices and factories with LIGHTS expect people to show up during daylight

I REALLY miss the 24 hr Home Depot hours! Why on earth would a 'contractor supplier', only be open during the hours that contractors are out on the job working? 10 PM - 5AM is a great time to work for HIGH wages, go to school, buy supplies and groceries. No WAITING in line, no interruptions, no traffic!

I hear every hour of sleep you lose... comes off the 'tail-end' of your life... PERFECT!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 AM

1,212 posts, read 711,151 times
I stayed up all night and saw an early mourning once.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:20 AM

11,280 posts, read 8,452,432 times
I'm a morning person (okay I could do without the 3am wake-up). I enjoy waking up when the birds start chirping and the sun comes up.

Evening comes and I'd like to be in my jammies by 8 (not always possible) reading my current book and dozing off peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement