U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:37 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times

Advertisements

My dad always used to say, "If you hoot with the owls all night long you can't soar with the eagles in the morning." Many was the morning I was awakened to that tune. Guess I was born with a reversed diurnal system.

I don't shift into second gear until sometime in the afternoon which is when I get my work done. By the evening the later it gets the more things I can think of that I want to stay up and do. And I've been that way all my life.

The only difference now is that I don't care to leave the house after dark anymore. It's more difficult to drive and in the winter it's just too grim after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And many people look forward to not having structure in their retirement, that being a large reward of that retirement. Have you always strictly structured your life? I will never worry about sleeping too much and trust my body to tell me what is the right amount. Interesting how two people can approach the same situation with polar opposite outlooks.
Us nightowls don't tend to respected by 'official' sorts though. I got pretty tired of all the advise to go to bed early and get up when you had the whole day. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. It's so quiet at night. Nobody is going to call you. You can make up some munchies and watch a movie without anything else to bother you. But it just feels comfortable in a way the day leaves me on edge.

Maybe because its quiet and most of the local world is winding down or sleeping, but will be up bright and early, it gives the night a specialness where its okay to be creative and try the different.

I think it matters how much each of us as individuals care about what the 'normal' people think. Nightowls tend to have a different view of the world around us and are more likely to be loners. The company I worked for as a programmer had a policy that you could stay late if the project head agreed, so when the new system I and one other person was creating wasn't working, I spent a few evenings just going over the test data. Something was throwing it off that wasn't tested for. I had to have full concentration, but during the day it wasn't going to happen.

Later, the company was bought out and they had an idiot who did rah rah cheers when bank/new owner had done well. Then they complained that the conversion of the system was taking forever. Then most of the old staff was either let go or left on their own. Then with their new staff clueless about the old stuff, had to rehire a couple of people, but they'd only come back as contractors with contractor money, very good money. My exboss was one of them. Sometimes when your head is programmed too deeply about how it should be, be it a person or a business, it shuts a lot of doors which might be far better an option.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 PM

1,439 posts, read 721,064 times
Another dyed in the wool night owl here.......always have been and will be. In fact, when I was working and had to work early shifts I was always tired all day long no matter how much sleep I could muster....HATED IT!.....but when on nights I could sleep 5 or 6 hrs and be fine working all night long.

Now, even though retired I still don't turn in until 2:30 or 3 am and usually sleep until 10:00 or 11. I've had some good arguments with friends who claim I'm "sleeping my life away".....that is until I point out to some of them (who go to bed at 10pm and wake at 7am) that I am actually sleeping LESS than them and it's they who are apparently "wasting" more of their lives sleeping.....LOL....perspective is everything.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Nightbird47, your posts could have been written by me. I already posted that I am a night person and always have been. I love being snug in bed while the rest of the world is frantically rushing around, chaotically trying to get ready for the day. I used to love hearing their car doors slam and the noise of their cars as they raced out of the parking lot to get to work. Then there would be lovely silence. I could go back to sleep for a while and get up and have a leisurely late breakfast or early lunch.

But that wasn't too often because I had to be at work by some silly early hour, half awake. Drank coffee to get through the morning but after lunch I was energized and felt better by the hour. By dinnertime I had plenty of energy to cook and clean up and then more energy the later it got. Unfortunately, I had to waste that energy by forcing myself to sleep so I could wake up at the silly early hour again.

Left to my own devices, I love the quiet peace of the night. Love to sit up talking to a friend or reading or writing. Sometimes there are videos that keep me up until the sun starts lighting the sky. That means bed time for sure.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,547 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Us nightowls don't tend to respected by 'official' sorts though. ... My exboss was one of them. Sometimes when your head is programmed too deeply about how it should be, be it a person or a business, it shuts a lot of doors which might be far better an option.
Yeah, my boss was always very demeaning of us who chose to work nightshift (without supervision!!!)

"Only Axe-murderers and alcoholics work nights" was his common sarcasm (daily...)

Fine, just get out the door and let us be!!!

When in Fast food line, the gal in front of me said to her hubby... "Don't all these night shift workers look like Axe Murderers?" I so wanted to greet her outside the door with my bloody axe

That was fine..
  • Pay bonus (helped me retire 15 yrs early)
  • FREE lunch (free food + hourly pay!!)
  • no bosses
  • no interruptions
  • GREAT assignments (opportunity to make unique solutions and contributions)
  • HUGE benefit to reducing time to market!!! (Cut by 1/2)
  • Better for business (millions of Dollars of capital assets worked through the night! instead of sitting idle.)
  • Every 'day(light)' was free! for school, farming, volunteering, family (Homeschooling), and Travel!!! (worked revolving 4 day weekends)

the problem... Dairy Farm Boarding School taught me to 'rise and shine' before dawn. (kinda rough when you don't get off work until 2AM. )

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,697,792 times
Before street lights became common, people apparently slept in two "shifts":

Roger Ekirch | Department of History

Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,241 times
I am a morning person
However, in my younger years I would stay up all night
Guess I have changed

Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I stayed up all night and saw an early mourning once.
Truth be told, I'm sure I've seen more mornings that way over the customary. I like really early morning, when its still cool and its still quiet and before the day noises start. Good thing is once I'm asleep, I don't notice it at all.

Mornings are great if you didn't have the people running around like little busy worker bees.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Before street lights became common, people apparently slept in two "shifts":

Roger Ekirch | Department of History
I love it. Now its got a name. I am indeed a medieval sleeper.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,774,970 times
I am not, or ever will be, a farmer. That is the only reason to get up before sunrise.

I remember staggering around at 5:00 a.m., having to wake the kid up before the sun was up for daycare, school...do that voluntarily?

Oh, HELL, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement