U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,790,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Still a night owl!!! I despise mornings and alarm clocks!

+++1. Gurrrrrl, I hear you! It better be something really special for early a.m. these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:54 AM

16,428 posts, read 5,366,318 times
Sign me up for Team Night Owl. For 30 years I worked swing shift hours, and it suited me fine. I'd started on the early morning shift, 5 am to 1 pm, but that schedule was completely wrong for me. I was sleep-deprived and miserable the whole time. After just five months of this torture, I gratefully switched shifts with another employee who wanted to work mornings.

After retirement I assumed I would turn into a "normal" person and start waking up early. Wrong! Almost nine years later, I'm still prone to insomnia, still find it hard to get to sleep before 3 am and still rarely get up before noon unless I have to. My husband was on the same schedule as me, and he hasn't changed, either.

I'd really like to keep more conventional hours, but it just isn't happening. Even as a kid I loved staying up late and sleeping in. Maybe, as someone else mentioned, people like us have brains that are just wired that way. I also agree with the poster upthread who said that morning people look down on us and consider us somehow inferior. That's so annoying. We night owls don't get no respect!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 09-22-2017 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: to add a phrase and delete a phrase.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 AM

297 posts, read 150,350 times
Early bird.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 AM

552 posts, read 641,211 times
Iíve always been a morning person and this hasnít changed after 13 years of retirement. I worked several years of my 25 years in the bakery having to start my shift anytime in the PM and hated it. I would prefer the time be changed to always have it light by 5 am and always dark by 7 pm.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,974,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Before street lights became common, people apparently slept in two "shifts":

Roger Ekirch | Department of History
I also sleep in two shifts.

As an extreme Lark, my body wakes me at 3 AM. Although I've always been an early riser, it has gotten worse with age. I think it's a sleep disorder, Advanced Sleep Phase disorder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...phase_disorder

All my brothers have this; we inherited it from our mother. Thankfully, none of my kids carried it on.

I awake by 3AM, go to a part time job from 6 to 11, and take a nap from about 2-3 PM. I'm back in the sack by 6PM and the cycle repeats. The good news is that I do get plenty of sleep.

I can force myself to stay up until about 9 but I pay a sleep deprivation price because my body still wakes up at 3. I've tried to change it but my circadian clock refuses to budge.

So I just adapt. The good news is that the early hours are great for reading, learning, and listening to music through headphones. I can get a whole lot done because nobody else is up to distract me.

Have you also noticed a change in your sleep cycles as you age?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,193,986 times
I'm both as long as I get my afternoon nap

Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 AM

363 posts, read 244,089 times
Always been a morning person. Not that I click my heals or I'm overly happy, but I'm most productive/energetic in the mornings. Get up at 5:00 for work, but on weekends, without alarm always awake by 7. Even in my heavy drinking college/younger days, I'd still get up at 8ish and be really mad about how my friends could sleep all morning. My flame always burns out by 9, in bed by 9:30, been doing that since I was in my 30's.

There is some psychology/biology to this. Genetics dictates much of your internal clock, some people are just morning or evening people. Also, a lot of it is habit.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:12 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,461,420 times
A complete and total non-morning person. Do not like mornings at all. Reminds me too much of having had to get up very early for work for decades.

I like afternoons, evenings, and very late nights.

So many morning persons - and very early morning persons - puzzle me. haha

Last edited by matisse12; 12-22-2017 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement