Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:01 PM

271 posts, read 190,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Uh, you're on the retirement forum. Many of us do trust "the government" with our healthcare.

Admittedly, I've interacted with a few clueless Social Security employees over the past 20+ years. I've also interacted with clueless state employees and clueless nongovernmental employees as well. So?

Most seniors will tell you that their Social Security benefit is deposited the same day every month and that Medicare pays their health care bills as expected. Bonus point: The insurance companies that sell Medigap policies toe the line because they are also required to follow Medicare rules.

Private health insurance companies? Boo!
GREAT TIP!! Thank you. I am trying to plan my retirement so this is helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Is it possible the "callback" feature only works on SSA's 1-800# ?

I called SSA some years ago, and used the callback feature. Think it was the 800#, but not sure. It did work as advertised. Got called back 45 minutes later on the dot.

Give it try. 1-800-772-1213
This was my recent experience. Very pleased with the professionalism of the person I dealt with.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:09 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
My recent experience in August is that I called the Social Security 800 number because I wanted some questions answered. I was told that because my credit account is frozen that I could not be verified and my records could not be accessed over the telephone. I was told I would need to make an in-person appointment. I tried to make an appointment for September, but I was told that September was closed but October's calendar was not yet open(?!) and I would have to call back closer to October.

So at the end of September I called the 800# to schedule an appointment with my local Social Security office. It was an hour wait on the phone but Social Security scheduled a call back. At the appointed time they called me and said that they would send me a letter with my appointment day and time. I asked if I could be told what that day and time was, but the agent said she didn't know and if I don't receive the letter to call the local office directly, and she gave me a different phone number.

I waited about 2 weeks but didn't receive a letter with a date and time. So I tried calling the direct number. I was told that they had no record of an appointment for me but that they would schedule one in November when that calendar opens and send me a letter.

I still haven't received the letter. I've decided to just go and wait at their office one morning. Does anyone have any idea how long it could take to just sit and wait until an agent has a moment for me?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:51 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I have had horrible experiences trying to reach the SS offices. The national line kept me on hold for 40 minutes, then the guy that finally answered asked me a question or two before he sent me to another line where I was on hold again for 30 minutes. While I'm talking to the woman that was trying to help me, she put me on hold and 10 minutes later I found that we were disconnected.

At the local office I have been on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up. 3 times I broke down and went directly to the office in the next town where the wait was one hour each time.

I did try to schedule an appointment about a month ago, and after a 40 minute wait on hold I was told that they were booked up until October!

Baby Boomers are NOT done retiring! There is a whole lot more of us coming to apply for benefits, and this institution is not prepared for it!
I have learned that if I'm on hold that long, it's not going to end well. It's best for me to call back at another time or try doing a chat on the website or something.

I've waited a long time to reach insurance companies, Sam's Club, and other businesses, and never gotten through. It's irritating, but it happens. There is usually a better time of the day to call. It's inconvenient, but that's why it's better. Other people find it inconvenient to call then, too.

I haven't applied for Social Security benefits yet. Do you have to go in, to apply? I thought you could apply online.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
I did it all on line. It took just a few minutes

Old 10-01-2017, 03:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I did it all on line. It took just a few minutes

Same here. That's the easy part. It's *anything else* that's TOUGH.

Had to go in person once; no opportunity for appointments. Waited about 3-4 hours. Took a book.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:06 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Anything else?? The paperwork was pretty simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement