U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sun City Carolina Lakes Tour

Yesterday we toured Sun City Carolina Lakes in Lancaster County, SC, outside of Charlotte, NC. Everything was beautiful, including the 44,000 sq ft clubhouse, with 2 pools (indoor and outdoor) and workout room, etc. The homes are very beautifully decorated and some are a good size (2,400-2,800 if they had the added-on sunroom at an extra $15,000). I didn't see many people out at 11:00 a.m.--a few in the pool and about 10 out walking or riding a bike. It was very quiet. There were a number of golfers on the course. 1,400 homes are now occupied and 3,400 homes are scheduled to be built to complete the community. People for the most part seemed to be in their late 60's to 70's. Only saw a couple of those who could be in the age 55 range.

The units are very close together and you'd definitely need a blind or shade on the very large window over the master tub, unless you like having your neighbor check out your bathing habits!!! Your patio is extremely close to your neighbor's house.

According to the sales agent who spoke with us, the developer is planning to lower the grade of the amenities that come with the homes, so that buyers can chose to upgrade where they choose and use their money where it is most important to them. For example, there will be plain appliances instead of stainless steel, formica instead of granite, carpet instead of hardwood, lower grade kitchen cabinets, etc. Then the buyer can upgrade where they please. My concern is whether the price will actually go down to reflect these changes. Also, will this change lower the value of the other homes already constructed in the development.

The developer is offering at this time a free sunroom and 2 free years of HOA dues. Are their problems selling right now???

We had been very excited to see the community but I had a let down feeling when I left. Would it really be all the fun and friends that are advertised? Or do people stay in their homes and only venture out occasionally? People did wave back when I waved, and a gentleman kindly gave us directions, but I didn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling I had hope to have.

Still don't know if this lifestyle is the best one for us.
I went to the pool today in my relatively new 55+ community in Sacramento. There was not one single person in the clubhouse or pool.
The water was sparkling clear and the silence was beautiful. I swam laps in a peace and quiet that is rare in today's world. While I was drying out in the sun, I couldn't help smile that it was a "private" pool, but I didn't have to do any of the maintenance. Maybe this isn't the social mixing intent of an "active adult community", but I have to tell you, it's like being on Walden Pond with all the amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:53 AM

7,025 posts, read 6,993,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I went to the pool today in my relatively new 55+ community in Sacramento. There was not one single person in the clubhouse or pool.
The water was sparkling clear and the silence was beautiful. I swam laps in a peace and quiet that is rare in today's world. While I was drying out in the sun, I couldn't help smile that it was a "private" pool, but I didn't have to do any of the maintenance. Maybe this isn't the social mixing intent of an "active adult community", but I have to tell you, it's like being on Walden Pond with all the amenities.
I see your point!!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,590,205 times
I can tell you what I think of 55+ gated communities. I have a townhouse in a 55+ Epcon community in the mountains of western North Carolina (Weaverville, just north or Asheville) and love it. And I just recently bought a townhouse in a 55+ Epcon community in West Plano, TX that the builder is finishing for me now.

I can lock-up and leave for weeks or months at a time and never have to worry about outside maintenance or yard work, or security. The clubhouse has a nice pool and workout room, and is a great place for the monthly potluck dinners. Many people in the community enjoy playing golf, going out to eat, going on hiking trips, movies, plays, etc., etc.

The only thing that took a little while to get used to was the close proximity of the other neighbors. It's like a little village, with the number of townhouses ranging from 60 to 150 or so.

I highly recommend you look into the Epcom communities that are being built throughout the US.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,519,100 times
highly recommend you look into the Epcom communities that are being built throughout the US.

Mmmm. The mountains of North Carolina. Thanks , I will do just that.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
highly recommend you look into the Epcom communities that are being built throughout the US.

Mmmm. The mountains of North Carolina. Thanks , I will do just that.
Here are a few pictures for you... It's located just 5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last edited by Kootr; 08-11-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 AM

Here is the one in Plano that is still under under construction.

Last edited by Kootr; 08-11-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Epcom Communitite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Here are a few pictures for you... It's located just 5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

These look lovely. I'll check into the Epcom Communitites. Only problem is that "white stuff" falling down... Will have to look at communities in warmer areas!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
These look lovely. I'll check into the Epcom Communitites. Only problem is that "white stuff" falling down... Will have to look at communities in warmer areas!!!
Yeah, I do not like snow or cold either. That's why we have two...

Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Default "Leisureville" by Andrew D Blechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Since you all will hopefully do research before you move to a 55+ master planned community, may I suggest that you read the fairly new book, Leisureville by Andrew D Blechman. While much of it is about The Villages in Florida and some of it is about Sun City in Arizona, some of his observations and issues he raises could be things you put on your radar screen (observations and questions) when you look into other retirement communities of this type.

Blechman, who is not a retiree, decided to write about the subject when his Massachusetts neighbors moved to The Villages. He moved in with them for a spell to immerse himself in the lifestyle.

You can draw your own conclusions as to whether it's right for you.
Wow, this book has so much information in it! Now that I've finished reading it, I don't know what choice to make. Blechman presents the pros and cons so well. It is not just food for thought but a week's worth of dinners! I didn't expect the extent of anthropological commentary.

Do I want total leisure and fabricated withdrawal from all the cares of the outside world in the age segregated community, or do I want to be part of a mixed age community with all of its problems and satisfactions? Do I want instant friends and companionship, easily made at the 55+? Or am I willing to go out into the community and earn friends through church, volunteer work, or neighborhood? The 55+ sound so nice and relaxing, but somewhat unreal. Do I mind trading the semi-dictatorship of the owners of these lifestyle subdivisions for the carefree days they provide?

EVERYONE considering a move to one of these age segregated lifestyles needs to read this book and consider all the joys and consequences of living there.

Laura, thank you so much for bringing this thorough, thoughtful book to our attention!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,950,227 times
Staywarm,
I've been wanting to read that book for awhile now....I read the first chapter and I liked it.

As to your question, why can't you do both? I do not even live in our 55+ community yet, and am only there a few times a year, but we have already made some great friends not only in "our" community, but from other communities and from non-55+ gated communities. Just because one buys in a gated 55+ community, that does not mean you are cloistered there.

We have gotten involved in different community groups there and church groups. The point I am trying to make is that you CAN have both....I plan to be quite active inside AND outside my 55+ gated community.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or