U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,983,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Nancy,
You are very kind.

Staywarm and Laura C.,
The governing thing is an important consideration. I know that in The Plantation, the developer turned over everything to the residents, so we all own the whole thing, and govern it through a resident board of directors and many other commitees, etc. that is one reason why the place is kept up well, and our HOA fees are kept reasonable, ($85.00 per month). The bank accounts are quite healthy, and things are run very well and stable. not all 55+ communities can say that.

What I like about our place is that you can be as active or as sedentary as you want. The Plantation is not big compared to The Villages...we have about 3000 homes divided into 21 smaller communities. Those smaller communities have their own associations, etc. The smaller community gives you a sense of community, your neighborhood. I know that when we are there full time, we will be active in it. Even now when we are down, we are involved. Last December I helped put up the christmas lights in the entrance, etc, etc. It was fun and a good way to get to know your future neighbors.

As to location, The Plantation is only about 3 miles south of the "big" city of Leesburg, so we are not too far away from the library, churches, etc. Between us and Leesburg, we pass at least 6 or so other bigger 55+ gated communities, like Legacy, Highland, and Arlington Ridge. banks, Publix, Walgreens, Ace hardware, etc, are all along that route between us and Leesburg, so we do not feel that far away from things. If they would just put a wide sidewalk up along hwy 27, we could use our golfcarts even more and the car even less.....

I just reread my post....I'm not selling anything, (hope it does not sound like I am ). I'm just relating my limited experiences to this interesting subject.

It's nice to have a thread that does not tailspin into a vortex of negativity...

Frank D.
HOA Fee Items

Frank,
Do your HOA fees cover trash pickup, lawn maintenance and basic cable? Some communitites don't cover those and those costs can add up. Thanks for your kind input on this thread (and others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:30 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,587,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
HOA Fee Items

Frank,
Do your HOA fees cover trash pickup, lawn maintenance and basic cable? Some communitites don't cover those and those costs can add up. Thanks for your kind input on this thread (and others).
You did not ask me...but I will tell you what both my properties' HOA covers...

The HOA fees for both my TX and NC properties covers full maintenance/repair/replacement of the outside of the townhouse (e.g. roof, painting, etc.), homeowners insurance for the townhouse structure itself (less contents), full maintenance/repair/replacement of the lawn, trees, plantings, and mulch (lawn and plant watering in TX), along with full maintenance/repair/replacement for the entire common area and infrastructure(e.g. clubhouse, pool, etc)...

I am unaware of any HOA that covers basic cable or trash pickup.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,942,935 times
Staywarm,

HOA fees vary with every 55+ place.....ours are low, and will continue to be seeing that it is decided on the owners. you don't want them too low, and have the community go downhill, but you don't want them outrageous either.

Our place looks great, with constant improvements, etc. Our $85.00 per month gets us three gated entrances, two of them staffed, one of them staffed 24/7/365. It gets us three big activity centers, 3 big pools, hot tubs, and all the sports, like tennis and pickleball courts, softball, bocce , shuffleboards, etc,etc, all lighted, all over the community.
It also pays for all the staff, 3 activity directors, big stage, library, etc,etc.

It does not pay for my lawn mowing. I currently pay a great mowing service $55.00 per month. My neighbors pay them $50/per month, but my yard is 3x as big, so it is a good deal. When I live there full time, I might do it myself, because i like to.

It does not pay for cable or the home internet. I like it that way, because I want to decide that myself. What if you want satellite, or no TV, or expanded cable? What if you want high speed wifi, or don't even gave a computer.

I want control of that. My HOA only pays for the community wide things, security, upkeep, staff, and the many great amenities......

My cable currently down there is $12.00 per month, my mowing $55.00 per month, and my HOA $85.00 per month.

Frank D.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,587,867 times
Quote:
Staywarm,

HOA fees vary with every 55+ place.....ours are low, and will continue to be seeing that it is decided on the owners. you don't want them too low, and have the community go downhill, but you don't want them outrageous either.

Our place looks great, with constant improvements, etc. Our $85.00 per month gets us three gated entrances, two of them staffed, one of them staffed 24/7/365. It gets us three big activity centers, 3 big pools, hot tubs, and all the sports, like tennis and pickleball courts, softball, bocce , shuffleboards, etc,etc, all lighted, all over the community.
It also pays for all the staff, 3 activity directors, big stage, library, etc,etc.

It does not pay for my lawn mowing. I currently pay a great mowing service $55.00 per month. My neighbors pay them $50/per month, but my yard is 3x as big, so it is a good deal. When I live there full time, I might do it myself, because i like to.

It does not pay for cable or the home internet. I like it that way, because I want to decide that myself. What if you want satellite, or no TV, or expanded cable? What if you want high speed wifi, or don't even gave a computer.

I want control of that. My HOA only pays for the community wide things, security, upkeep, staff, and the many great amenities......

My cable currently down there is $12.00 per month, my mowing $55.00 per month, and my HOA $85.00 per month.

Frank D.
Frank,

How is your insurance coverage handled? Does everyone have their own (individual) insurance?

I assume the HOA fees takes care of the common area maintance/repair/replacement (roads, etc.)? Does the HOA fees take care of anything on the outside of your house, i.e. roof, painting, etc.?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,509,075 times
My cable currently down there is $12.00 per month,

Did you say that your cable bill is twelve dollars a month ?!?!?

Mine on Long Island is over $60.00 , and I do not even have HBO or Showtime or anything.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM

Kooter,

Yes, the HOA fees take care of all common areas....you are responsible for your own property and home maintenance. Many times you can get a good rate when neighbors go in together and have stuff done, (like mowing, power washing, etc,etc.). i'm very picky about my home maintenance....wouldn't want anyone else to do it anyway. I want control.

My cable is $12.75 per month. That gets me about 70 or so channels, like the learning channel, history channel, discovery channel, etc,etc. It does not give me HBO and "pay channels". That is good enough for the few times a year we are down there, and good enough for my rental people. When we live down there full time, i might get something else....we'll see.

Frank D.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,983,811 times
Default Trash Pickup

Quote:
Staywarm,

Frank D.
What about trash pickup? P.S. That's a GREAT cable rate!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM

I'm sorry....I guess I did not answer all the questions.....

Insurance- I pay for my own homeowners insurance. I guess that varies....type of construction, roof, etc. Also how close you are to the coast.

Garbage- Yes, that includes the Garbage pickup. weather it comes with our taxes or HOA, I do not know...I think it is part of our taxes. Anyway, I do not pay any extra fee for garbage pick-up.
They actually come three times a week......two for garbage, then once again for recyclables.....that just blows my mind ! (I guess it doesn't take much...)

The HOA fee also covers a monthly newsletter and an annual spiral-bound directory of all the residents, etc.

Frank D.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:17 PM

189 posts, read 637,619 times
[quote=faithfulFrank;3200056]Sure.....
Our monthly fees are $85.00 per month. That pays for the three huge activity centers, 3 big pools and hot tubs, the staff, all the upkeep of all public grounds, lighting, walks, etc. It also pays for the 3 gates and 24/7/365 gatekeepers. Also included is the monthly newsletter, and a ton of activities, ballfields, etc,etc....

Frank, I have two shelties. Are dogs allowed in the plantation, and can a resident put up a backyard fence? Sometimes I think about moving to FL, even though I don't particularly like hot weather and bugs, but where I live now is a very hard place for a person like myself (making friends, and there's nothing to do here most of the year).

Thanks for answering.....really appreciate it.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Dear 50-50,

Yes, dogs are allowed in The Plantation. Many neighbors have them. They must be leashed outside when off your property. When walking, owners are supposed to "pick up" after their dogs. All the dog owning neighbors seem to do this with no problems at all. We have gotten to know many of our neighbors and their dogs......my wife is a HUGE dog lover. There is actually a couple of "dog owners" clubs at The Plantation.

As to fences....perimeter fences are not allowed. Many have hedges around their back yards, and some I think have invisible fencing, but you cannot have regular perimeter fencing.

I'm not sure what rules The Villages have...they are about 13 miles up the road from us. There are many nice 55+ communities around. DM me if you like and I can help you further. There are some other online resources I have to find out more for you if you like.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or