U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 AM

8,204 posts, read 11,918,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
Question, how old do you have to be to buy into these communities such as the village? I'm not close to retirement age but am an over planner
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Most communities are 55 and over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
According to the US Census Bureau:
The median age of the US was 32.9 years in 1990
The median age of the US was 35.3 years in 2000

I don't think it'll jump up over 55 for the 2010 census.
The question posed pertained to retirement communities, not U.S. communities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,950,227 times
As posted before, I know that the law states that it is either 20% or 30%, (I'm pretty sure it is 20%) of the owners in a 55+ community can be less then 50 years old. I know in my 55+ community, you can own a home here as long as you are over 19 years old.

You just cannot be here over 30 days if you are less then 19 years old, as per the HOA.

I bought our home 3 years ago here, when I was 47. We love it here and wanted to enjoy the florida lifestyle while we were still young enough to....

When we bought, we were not even asked what our ages were......perhaps I just look really old......??

Frank

Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,428,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
As posted before, I know that the law states that it is either 20% or 30%, (I'm pretty sure it is 20%) of the owners in a 55+ community can be less then 50 years old. I know in my 55+ community, you can own a home here as long as you are over 19 years old.

You just cannot be here over 30 days if you are less then 19 years old, as per the HOA.

I bought our home 3 years ago here, when I was 47. We love it here and wanted to enjoy the florida lifestyle while we were still young enough to....

When we bought, we were not even asked what our ages were......perhaps I just look really old......??

Frank
Be very careful. The law requires a census that 80% of the homes have at least one member over 55. If not you lose the exemption which practically can never be recovered. Any HOA careless about it is likely headed toward loosing it.

The way you lose it is someone wants to keep a grandkid. They sue for violation of the housing law. The HOA can't prove compliance and the exemption is gone...

Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,960,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The question posed pertained to retirement communities, not U.S. communities in general.
The retirement community I currently live in has an average age of 61. Maybe one of the youngest.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sigh. Did you see the smilie with the tongue?

I will continue to post silly answers when I feel like it, no matter how grumpy some people are.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:26 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I will continue to post silly answers when I feel like it, no matter how grumpy some people are.
I'm not grumpy; I was trying to be nice because I thought you misunderstood the question. I will now get down on my knees and grovel for your forgiveness since I missed your attempt at humor.

Speaking of being grumpy....

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM

7,012 posts, read 6,993,234 times
Default Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Has anyone seen any studies on active 55 housing satisfaction broken down by age range? Wonder if the peak satisfaction years are 65ish to 75ish? I wonder if actually being retired heightens satisfaction etc.
There may be a profile of peak satisfaction based on criteria like age, employment status, marital status etc.
You make a very valid point. Are the people in The Villages and other 55+ happy because they live in those communities or because they are retired and have enough money to be comfortable there? Would someone who was a little short of funds and living there be worried all the time and not the happy camper that most seem to be?

Ages 65-75 are the last "active" years of a person's life, generally, with some exceptions. Perhaps making the best of these years makes for a happy lifestyle, as well.

I've joined a new church group where most of the people are in their late 60's to mid 70's, and some older. They are so nice, but the older ones do have a different lifestyle than we (in our mid 60's) have. For example, we have a "dinner out" event coming up with them, but the dinner had to be scheduled at 5:00 p.m.--a little "early bird" for us. We are more apt to eat at 7 pm. Would I want to be surrounded by this type of mentality all the time? Don't know how I'd feel...

Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,616,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
This thread has been an absolute light bulb moment for me!

I'm 15+ years away from retirement but I have to say, one of the things I was worried about with my spose and I and retiring is getting board. What will we do, will we find similar people, etc. The thought of living in a community like this literally changed my thought process on what I need to do in retirement.

Question, how old do you have to be to buy into these communities such as the village? I'm not close to retirement age but am an over planner
I believe that 80% are 55+ but they have to allow 20% of the residence to be 40 and over due to discrimination laws....but I am not sure if this is just hearsay or truth.....

if you can buy at under 55 now is a great time to buy and use it as a vacation home. a mobile home selling for 28k two years ago is listed for 10 k today my park is a own the trailer rent the land type deal. the housing crunch really hit the mobile home market many can be bought for 2 or 3 grand. many elders are dying and with the economy the children just want out of the monthly lot payments

Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,428,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I believe that 80% are 55+ but they have to allow 20% of the residence to be 40 and over due to discrimination laws....but I am not sure if this is just hearsay or truth.....

if you can buy at under 55 now is a great time to buy and use it as a vacation home. a mobile home selling for 28k two years ago is listed for 10 k today my park is a own the trailer rent the land type deal. the housing crunch really hit the mobile home market many can be bought for 2 or 3 grand. many elders are dying and with the economy the children just want out of the monthly lot payments
Nope. 80% must have one resident over 55. The others can be whatever except often a rule of no one under 19.

Note that anyone can own one...the restrictions are on living there.

Many age restricted places allow no exceptions to the 55 age rule. Some allow the underage survivor of a deceased spouse. Some allow exceptions only on a specific appeal.

YOu have to read the HOA docs to know how it works in any given place

Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,377,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Frank
Frank, I know here in Georgia I live very close to Deaton Creek, a Del Webb community. If you are not 55 years of age you "cannot" purchase. I tried to do this when looking there with my parents who are in their mid 70's. I am only 3 years from 50 and at 47, they said I could not even buy for my parents. Overall, I cannot complain about that, just have my calendar marked for my 55th birthday.

Any sound advice that I would give any retired person over 60 is, that if you plan to move to the Southeast and you are senior, make sure it is an age restricted, secured, gated, community. We will be there at the first opportunity. Things today are not what they used to be and in regard to secured living, the SE is changing and not for the good on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or