U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,953,474 times

Advertisements

thank you Ann.

Right now we go down there a few times a year for 3 weeks at a time. If I'm not doing my own work, I'm busy replacing light fixtures, throwing in new dishwashers, fixing sprinkler systems, etc, for the neighbors.

Down there the garbage service picks up all the yard waste if you have them tied in bundles. I had TONS of trimmings for them to pick up. I looked out there, and the person is calling supervisors, etc, and not picking it up. I went out and asked if something was wrong.....

He replied, " Looks like we have some shady professional landscapers here who left this all for us, instead of taking it themselves.....sometimes they try to get away with that, and we only take trimmings from homeowners, and I KNOW that there ain't NO homeowner around here does THAT much work!"

I assured him that it was my house, and I did do that much work, and when they come back in 3 more days, there will be that much more again. I said sorry, but I'm only here a few times a year, and this makes up for the weeks that there is nothing here......then gave him a tip and thanked him.

It was funny, but I guess you had to be there

We'll be down there in about 6 weeks....I so much can't wait....we've had a long cold winter.....

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 AM

452 posts, read 1,531,796 times

We live in Southwood...sandwiched in between highway 290 and 7 south. I agree that you have to find your comfort zone...and you can't let yourself get pulled into everything. And life is too short to brood on what can't be changed to suit everyone's needs. It always has to be asked..."what's best for the community". I'll have to keep that in mind...some people are asking me to run for Pres. I think it's too early for me to do that...but....we're running out of bodies. Being pres by default might not be so bad.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 AM

7,030 posts, read 6,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I can speak on behalf of my 70 yr old parents who moved to a 55+ community at 55 yr of age. They love it. They're south of Tampa in a Del Webb community. Hundreds of social groups, the community is immaculate, you don't have to be very wealthy -
Did your parents end up spending a lot more than the base price for their unit? I noticed on their website that Del Webb home cost is a base price + cost of the lot + any architectural upgrades, etc.

Are there many re-sales in their community? I think I'd like to buy a home that was already built. I guess their community is already built out?

Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
Dear Nancy,

I cannot think of anything better then being surrounded by thousands of people who want quality work done at a reasonable, fair price by someone whom they can trust. Many of those people either cannot or choose not to do it themselves. I plan on supplementing my pension with handyman work. I have also considered being a licensed home inspector down there.

Yes, that is the great thing about this board . There really are so many wonderful people here . And, I know I could use a good handyman when I relocate !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 PM

5,441 posts, read 10,527,852 times
Faithful Frank,
I am kinda in the same boat as you Frank. Looking to retire from the PD up in New Jersey and I have a question that I hope isn't dumb. I was reading the posts from you and in one you said you were 49 and your wife was 50. How were you able to purchase a home in a 55 plus community at your age? I checked your site out and your home looks wonderful, your not on top of your neighbors and you have the view of the lake. Thanks Frank.
Respectfully
Jersey Man

Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,953,474 times
Dear Jerseyman,
Hey...no question is dumb. I've found that most 55+ places allow 25-30% of it's owners to be younger then that. The only other stipulation is that you cannot have under 18 year old kids living there or staying with you for over a month.

During the buying process, it never was even questioned....maybe I just look old.....(or maybe my wife does)

It really is not a problem at all with any of the places I've visited. Hey, may we both stay safe until retirement!........let me know if I can help in any other way.

Frank D.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM

It would be in anyone's best interests to find a realtor who can get the scoop on the places you want to see. The realtors here know southwood and they know what is and is not allowed. It would be nice if you could have a copy of the by-laws, with restrictions, in hand when you get serious about a place. Oftentimes, sellers will be reluctant to disclose the "darker side" (if there is one) and you can't claim ignorance once you've signed and sealed.

We put off buying in southwood for several years because there wasn't a house available with enough privacy. As it is, we cannot have fencing around our homes and it's the one thing we'd love to have. But, we're doing fine. We have restrictions on the number of pets (2), the length and width of pet "enclosures", number of unattached outbuildings, no boat/camper parked long-term at your home....but we provide on-site parking for them. We like to keep the yards in good shape and the worst prob we have is the older folks who just can't do their own. But we make allowances for people who are limited in their income; we might mow for them or pay extra for our contract person to mow for them.

In other words, your association has to have a heart. Heavyhandedness is one thing that puts people off and we've had them sell and move out because of it in the past.

I'd rather live HERE than in Hot Springs Village because of its size. And the fact that, IMO, the village gives a false sense of security. There are too many ways for non-villagers to get into the village without passing thru the manned gates. Here, we can pretty much eyeball who comes and goes because there are only two ways in/out. Believe me, older folks watch out for each other...we pretty much have to.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,566,632 times
Good point Arklee!!!
I live in a 55+ community in De. Some of my neighors complain they didn't know this and that. It is all WRITTEN so read the fine print.
We had an idea how 55+ communities were run before we moved here but I still had a ton of questions before we signed on the dotted line.
Pets..........We have 2 cats and would not move without them.
Fence, not allowed, We are not able to hang out wash and if we want to add to our home, we must check with the owners.
We are lucky, the owners are pretty reasonable and fair people compared to others i have heard about.
I also had to make sure my youngest daughter who is 29 and not married, could live with us if there were a reason she was down and out. So we asked all questions before choosing this community.
It is like anything else, research before you buy. That simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
It would be in anyone's best interests to find a realtor who can get the scoop on the places you want to see. The realtors here know southwood and they know what is and is not allowed. It would be nice if you could have a copy of the by-laws, with restrictions, in hand when you get serious about a place. Oftentimes, sellers will be reluctant to disclose the "darker side" (if there is one) and you can't claim ignorance once you've signed and sealed.

We put off buying in southwood for several years because there wasn't a house available with enough privacy. As it is, we cannot have fencing around our homes and it's the one thing we'd love to have. But, we're doing fine. We have restrictions on the number of pets (2), the length and width of pet "enclosures", number of unattached outbuildings, no boat/camper parked long-term at your home....but we provide on-site parking for them. We like to keep the yards in good shape and the worst prob we have is the older folks who just can't do their own. But we make allowances for people who are limited in their income; we might mow for them or pay extra for our contract person to mow for them.

In other words, your association has to have a heart. Heavyhandedness is one thing that puts people off and we've had them sell and move out because of it in the past.

I'd rather live HERE than in Hot Springs Village because of its size. And the fact that, IMO, the village gives a false sense of security. There are too many ways for non-villagers to get into the village without passing thru the manned gates. Here, we can pretty much eyeball who comes and goes because there are only two ways in/out. Believe me, older folks watch out for each other...we pretty much have to.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM

Research IS important no matter where you want to buy....especially in an area with as many wet-weather springs as we have. Our very first home here in '71 was brand spanking new...but...unknown to us at the time...had been built right on top of a pond. SO...in the spring and I guess pretty much year 'round...our kids couldn't even go out into our back yard. It was soaking wet and we had tons of frogs and crawdads. After we'd been there a while...the kids in the neighborhood told us all about the nice little pond they USED to fish in. We had to keep a sump pump running 24/7 in the crawl space and were out of there in less than two years. We were up front with the buyers who made it work for them for quite some time.

When I sit down and really think about it, we do have rules and regs here but they must not be intrusive because you just don't THINK about them a lot. And, you adapt. Trade-offs I guess. We're getting around the fence thing here by putting up lattice and jasmine where we want to block out a view...NOT A THING in the regs about that.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,381,978 times
My parents just sold thier home in Oakmont, in Santa Rosa, California in Sonoma County.

They raved about the place the entire 11 years they lived there, and they never even played golf. I enjoyed visiting - the neighborhood is really beautiful. I really enjoyed walking in the neighborhood.

Wine country is a nice place to be or to visit - my father worked in a winery a few days a week and neither of them got bored. I'd never have known the place was 55 plus unless I was really paying attention.

Anybody considered Santa Rosa, CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or