U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,379,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Nothing for less than 515K
Single Family homes in Santa Rosa, California start at $130,000. I think the Realtor who just sold my parents home walks on water - I'd love to send her some business if I ever have the chance. If I was a prospective buyer I'd be very happy to have found her.

David Beckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
Beware ...........of the 55+ parks with the long or short term lease of the land only. Check your State Laws to see if the property owners can give you a short notice and force you to move so they can sell the property.
Also read to see what can happen if the property is sold to a new owner. Is your current lease still honored. You might get a BIG SURPRISE

Thanks for this information. This answers a question I had about an over 55 place in Eugene, Oregon.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM

692 posts, read 2,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Beware ...........of the 55+ parks with the long or short term lease of the land only. Check your State Laws to see if the property owners can give you a short notice and force you to move so they can sell the property.
Also read to see what can happen if the property is sold to a new owner. Is your current lease still honored. You might get a BIG SURPRISE

Thanks for this information. This answers a question I had about an over 55 place in Eugene, Oregon.
Your welcome Nancy,

This is such an important issue I thought it might be of some help to whom ever reads this info. Personally I love the life style some of these types of developments provide, but in many cases it can be a financially and morally devestating event. My wife and I have looked at this very opportunity off and on for 5 years but always get hung up on the lease. The States should take action to stop this behavior on the part of the developer/owners, but so far most states give them a loophole including Washington and Oregon.
We also pondered a nice park in Eugene. Maybe it is the same one you were thinking about.

Silverfox

Old 05-01-2008, 04:10 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
We also pondered a nice park in Eugene. Maybe it is the same one you were thinking about.Silverfox

Probably. I think that it's the only one in Eugene for over 55s. When I went on line and put in my name, they were very aggressive about calling me and sending info . It sounded adorable, with pretty little flowery cottages and lakes all around . But, that land-lease thing was a real turn-off. I just had never heard of it before and did not trust it at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-03-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

692 posts, read 2,793,335 times
It's really to bad that when you are seriously looking for a spot to retire and spend most of the rest of your life that there has to be "Games" involved with your decision.
You really have no sure way to approach the leased land offers with the Laws on there side. I just can't believe the number of people investing in a home and putting themselves at total risk. It all sounds OK when your talking to the sales people but what do they care once you have signed the required paperwork. I woundn't be able to sleep at night with that situation continually racking my brain.
Kinda like the spyder and the fly.......

Silverfox

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times
Santa Rosa single family homes for $under 200K? I find that hard to swallow unless it is a mobile home and the space rent would be pricey. If they are selling for that, then it has to be in a very undesirable area.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,815,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Santa Rosa single family homes for $under 200K? I find that hard to swallow unless it is a mobile home and the space rent would be pricey. If they are selling for that, then it has to be in a very undesirable area.
Well, I'll be damned, there are a few homes there under $200K. I just checked a real estate web site. The list starts with two properties at $169,000. They're tiny (600 sf structure on a 1742 sf lot), they're old (1950's) and they don't look appealing to me. But they don't look horrible, either. Whaddaya know, they exist!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
Greetings faithfulFrank,

Your home is beautiful!

Please share with me what the purchase price of two (2) bedroom houses are in the 55+ community? Also, kindly explain the meaning of 55+ community. Do all of the houses have two bedrooms?

Thank you!

Peggy Burns
Bermuda

Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,940,029 times
Dear Peggy,
Thank you. To answer your question as to home costs..that is hard to say, and could be better answered by some realtors here. I have seen some very nice homes go for as low as 150k, on up to over 300k. I home similar to mine may be found in todays market at about the 160k range.

It all depends on the community, the motivation of the seller, etc. As to weather all homes have 2 bedrooms, I do not know. I would assume that most homes have 2 or more bedrooms.

A 55+ community is one that provides amenities geared to that age group. It can get specific, and different rules apply to different places. In my community, 30% of owners must be over 55 years old. No children less then 18 years old can live there more then 30 days. There are also different Homeowner association rules, etc.

They are very popular for active lifestyle retirees.

Frank D.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, I'll be damned, there are a few homes there under $200K. I just checked a real estate web site. The list starts with two properties at $169,000. They're tiny (600 sf structure on a 1742 sf lot), they're old (1950's) and they don't look appealing to me. But they don't look horrible, either. Whaddaya know, they exist!
I found them as well. Still would want to check out the surrounding areas very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or