U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking that those communities that have most things so generic and controlled is what I really wouldn't want to live in. It seems that the folks who are attracted to them would not be like me (folks who have a knee-jerk aversion to them) so they would not be a good place for me to look for a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM

4,073 posts, read 6,414,984 times
Let me add; at the time I retired a co-worker retired to a senior golf community in FL. He loves it! Before he purchased, this community flew him to Florida and allowed him to stay in one of their homes for two weeks. When he returned to work he was elated and decided to buy and retire there. It has now been four years and he still loves it there.
I believe there are good communities in which to retire. Finding them is the challenge.
Secondly, we all age differently. I have an aunt in her upper 80's and she is like the energizer bunny, friendly, helpful and outgoing. I also have a friend in his early 60's who is housebound and can't help himself. Many seniors are the way they are because of illness or the medications they take for their ailments. However, there is just no excuse for gossip or cliques.
Don

Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM

6,986 posts, read 6,979,790 times
Default 55+ Communities - Friendly or Not?

Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
Let me add; at the time I retired a co-worker retired to a senior golf community in FL. He loves it! Before he purchased, this community flew him to Florida and allowed him to stay in one of their homes for two weeks. When he returned to work he was elated

Was this The Villages, don?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM

nancy thereader,
I really don't remember but "The Villages" does sound familiar. I do remember that it was in central FL.
Don

Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
Thanks, don. That is one place I was considering , but hesitant because I am not sure I would like twelve months of summer.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 PM

6,986 posts, read 6,979,790 times
Default 12 months of summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks, don. That is one place I was considering , but hesitant because I am not sure I would like twelve months of summer.
I lived in South FL and 12 months of summer was wonderful!! Actually, it was 6 mos of spring and 6 mos of summer. In central FL you'll have some chilly weather. I've been at Disney when I had to buy a sweatshirt to keep warm.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 PM

When I live in PA I had a neighbor who retired and moved to FL. She moved in the late fall. All winter I received emails from her telling me how much she enjoyed of weather in FL. Then the heat hit and she put her place up for sale, soon sold it, and moved back to PA.
My son lives in southern FL and loves it. I hate it! It just goes to show there is no one "ideal" for all.
The best thing to do is rent until you know.
Don

Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming!
I think I promised some time ago to keep you updated since I just moved to a 55+ community in Sacramento in February.

The other day I received an e-mail from my next-door neighbor. It seems she wanted to put up sunshades on the exterior of some West facing windows and it was mandated she get my signature. I found out that she also has to have written permission from the other adjacent neighbor. The "committee" told her when she had the forms completed it would take six months to process them. Lucky it doesn't snow here. If all goes well she should have them up by December.

I was tempted to write on the form, "It isn't as though she wants to put them where the Sun don't shine". However, I was afraid the "Forms police" would come for me for defacing their CC&R process.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I think I promised some time ago to keep you updated since I just moved to a 55+ community in Sacramento in February.

The other day I received an e-mail from my next-door neighbor. It seems she wanted to put up sunshades on the exterior of some West facing windows and it was mandated she get my signature. I found out that she also has to have written permission from the other adjacent neighbor. The "committee" told her when she had the forms completed it would take six months to process them. Lucky it doesn't snow here. If all goes well she should have them up by December.

I was tempted to write on the form, "It isn't as though she wants to put them where the Sun don't shine". However, I was afraid the "Forms police" would come for me for defacing their CC&R process.
Wow. This is one of the biggest reasons I don't think I could stand those places. What business is it of neighbors or the place whether she puts up shades? Who does it hurt? Stuff like that me want to paint my front door bright pink with purple polka dots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or