U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I didn't read any of the other answers yet because I didn't want to be swayed but here's mine.

1. Honor and Honesty. If you don't have this you have nothing.
2. Integrity
3. Generosity

I am so blessed I've taken to generous tipping as a way to spread the wealth around. On the occasion when I eat at a fast food restaurant (Chik-Fil-A is healthy) I tip. I get a $10 meal and I will tip $2 because that $2 really means something to someone working behind the counter for $1 more than minimum wage.

I am a believer that it is important to have regular changes in engine oil on vehicles. I got this from my flying days when at $50,000 an engine you really took care of them. I get oil changes like a religion and when I do I always tip the worker $10 cash money and thank him for the work he did for me. After being a regular and doing this for several years I get great, great service.

I am not throwing money away I am getting a great smile out of someone and that is worth more than the money.
i love this.
it's fun handing out $10 bills.
i was with a friend once who handed paper money to a street person, and someone with us snapped at her "Why do you even do that?" and my friend said smiling "because I can."

i love that.
that is now me doing that.
i have the money, it makes me happy, i hand out $10 bills because I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,255,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A variation of a familiar question.

When we're young, we may value physical beauty. We may look at a partner and just want hottest person we can get as a partner! We may be seeking material wealth, and only want to associate ourselves with a similar point of view.

What values do you seek in a partner as a senior? What did you previously want, but no longer place high importance on? What did you formerly want, but no longer care about?

As an obese man, this interests me.
It's all very individual with what people value and I personally never wrote someone off solely based on his physical appearance....and I was a model

My husband is missing part of his left arm and he was that way when I met him. He was working retail so I know that he wasn't rich I didn't care then and don't now. I'm the main breadwinner and that's fine with both of us.

I know of some of my classmates who got hung up in that "marrying for money" bit and it hasn't worked out so well for quite a few of them. I'm sure it was great when they first married the guy and they got shiny objects and didn't have to worry about working. The novelty wears off though, sooner or later and now most of them are on a Facebook group for our graduating class b*tching and moaning about their marriage and how it doesn't "mean anything". Well no crap...ya married him for his money and nothing else. Of course I don't come out and say that because I am far too diplomatic to do so but it's the truth.

I didn't grow up well off; we were blue collar but my dad had a stable job as a maintenance mechanic. My mom stayed with him for his money and they were unhappy. I saw this as a kid and decided that I would never marry just for money and would stay single if it wasn't the right person.

Only the shallow ones care about money or appearance. If that's all they care about then I wouldn't worry about them because they aren't the type who I personally would want.

I'm 47 (far from retired) and only one thing has changed as far as what I want from a partner. I used to think that I wanted to remain childfree before I was married so wanted a man who didn't want kids or was okay not having them but we have an 18 year old daughter now so I guess something did change with age.

Traits that I think are MOST important: 1. Honesty 2. Intellectual curiosity/learning 3. Kindness 4. Good listener 5. Sense of humor 6. Open-minded 7. At least a couple common interests 8. Good conversationlist

I personally tend to like guys who are interested in a variety of topics and like to travel places with me. I also am very leery of people who don't like animals.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,239,300 times
There is much more I can say in answer to this one, but I'm tired and the first thing that popped into my mind....... being able to talk with someone and not listen to a litany on how bad our president is. Yikes. Give it a rest. Will ya?? He wasn't my choice, but he won, get over it already.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:33 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
There is much more I can say in answer to this one, but I'm tired and the first thing that popped into my mind....... being able to talk with someone and not listen to a litany on how bad our president is. Yikes. Give it a rest. Will ya?? He wasn't my choice, but he won, get over it already.
music to my ears in the relationship is.....
....not talking about politics
and
....no interest in TV sports

Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,895,419 times
Generosity of spirit and a willingness to listen.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 PM

378 posts, read 226,641 times
Why seek others?

1-avoid extroverts and drunks,
2-be independent
3-avoid the needy or herd

Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Reliability

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i love this.
it's fun handing out $10 bills.
i was with a friend once who handed paper money to a street person, and someone with us snapped at her "Why do you even do that?" and my friend said smiling "because I can."

i love that.
that is now me doing that.
i have the money, it makes me happy, i hand out $10 bills because I can.
I think being generous like that gives some a good feeling. I like doing it anonymously.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 AM

30,072 posts, read 47,312,423 times
Resilience
Reliability
Restraint
Fair-minded
Kind

Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,267,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
music to my ears in the relationship is.....
....not talking about politics
and
....no interest in TV sports

Honest... I know several marriages literally on the rocks or worse due to politics...

I mean professional people that can barely stand to be in the same room with their spouse because of differing political views...

Really is sad and worthy of consideration... my previous comment of having a Good Heart was meant to be all encompassing... including politics if for nothing else than to agree to not agree...

I work with a Doctor that is also married to a Doctor... his wife... the one I work with is relentless beating up her Husband... his Crime is HE DID NOT VOTE FOR HILLARY... and no, he does not support Trump nor did he vote for Trump... he voted for Sanders just because.

Ran into him at a Hospital Function and he said home is a war zone... mentioned Rachel Maddow non stop at home and he can't take it... they must earn 500k a year combined...

I tried to soften the blow by saying his wife went to the same Castro Valley High School as Rachel and maybe this is why she is such a huge fan...

So I do think this can be a huge issue late in life of the lack of ability to not get all wrapped up in something that is done...

This is totally foreign to me... growing up Mom and Dad were on opposite ends of the political system but very much in love... remember hearing the dinner table question when Dad came home from work and that was did we cancel each other out at the polls today??? and then a little laughter and that was it...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-21-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or