U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 AM

1,239 posts, read 585,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red on the noodle View Post
if you feel too guilty, you can always come and work my job :d

lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 AM

1,239 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Guilty? No. Bored, yes.

My job was intellectually challenging and kept me on my toes. It was stressful but I seemed to thrive on stress. Nothing in retirement replaces that. I am glad I retired, but it is definitely different. You will adjust.

I don't crave stress, but I always wanted to retire in a college town and have that resource to attend lectures, recitals, art exhibits or even audit classes....and my retirement city is home to a major university.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I understand your feelings. My wife and I both plan to retire in 2019, I will be 63 and she will be 60. We have saved for decades and are in position to retire at this age without financial worries. My biggest source of guilt (and fear!) is siblings who never planned for their own retirement; who will never be able to afford retirement, even at FRA; and who may be looking to us to fund them (or move in with us!).

We are tired of saving their butts from our savings for decades. Mortgage payments to stop foreclosures, utility payments to stop Shut-Off Notices, medical payments to stop court actions, etc. I have come to understand people who have told their families "Don't contact us, we will contact you."

Maybe our full retirement will be the perfect opportunity to say "No!"
Hope you are able to escape all that nonsense! Good luck.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Guilt? That's a waste of time. Enjoy your retirement!

Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM

61 posts, read 30,517 times
I understand a little about this. I "retired" at 54 in the sense that I drew a pension. But I have worked either full or part time since then. I think the core of this is the motivation to be useful, which can amount to leaving the world better than you found it. Many of us find that to be a key motivator all our lives.

But there are so many ways to feel useful. You can volunteer to share your time and knowledge or simply improve your own "corner of the world" (your home or neighborhood). This has worked for me when I have had no paid employment. I love the feeling of being still "out in the world", though not everyone is as social as I am.

I also think it is wonderful that you have given some thought to continuing to learn in retirement. I believe this is one of the keys to feeling engaged in life at whatever age you may be. It stimulates the mind and keeps us humble. There is always more to learn.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,935,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working.
I retired in June and have loved almost every single day of my retirement. I earned it and have never felt one moment of guilt not working. However, if you feel this way, then make plans to volunteer or get a part time job in your retirement. It sounds like you're the type of person who likes to work and likes to feel "useful" or "needy." Why have any guilt at all, it just uses up valuable emotional energy, think of like that?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:06 PM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
I busted my ass from the time I graduated high school until just after my 60th birthday. No way in hell am I going to feel guilty about retirement. Just like I don't feel guilty about using the GI Bill to get my degree. I upheld my end of the bargain. Now the State of Alaska and the military are both upholding their end of the bargain by paying me a pension.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:15 PM

2,030 posts, read 857,321 times
The way I look at it I can improve the world as much (or as little) on these forums as anywhere else. Whatever I have achieved in my working life is water under the bridge. It's all in the past. When you work for someone, you get to contribute. When it's over it's over. I retired at 59, took a year off and went back to work full time for two more years, right up to the month before I got my first SS check. At that point it seemed pointless to work and so I have spent the past 9 years the way I used to spend summer vacations as a kid. I've got hobbies and interests that keep me occupied all day every day. Some of these are hobbies I didn't have time for when I was working... photography, learning, playing and singing music from the 60's and 70's, making videos and putting them on youtube, participating in a bunch of forums, TV, radio, walking, gardening, visiting people, talking on the phone. With a bit of imagination and a desire to learn and accomplish challenging subjects or hobbies (even if it's just for yourself) there's no reason ever to feel bored or useless.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM

9,409 posts, read 5,233,845 times
Quote:
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working. I plan to retire next year at age 61 1/2. I have been careful, financially, which will enable me to live a modest, but comfortable life....which is what I have always done. But my parents always drilled a work ethic into me....work and save, work and save. How do others deal with the guilt of waking up on a Monday and not going to work along with everyone else? Does it dissipate over time? Did you not feel as guilty as you thought you might? I don't plan to sit in front of the TV eating bonbons. My plans are to exercise and be active in my new community.....but not pursuing a paycheck.....I am worried about how that will make me feel.

[snip]
Never felt one degree of guilt about retiring. It was time and I was more than ready to leave. I had similar work ethic values instilled in me growing up because I worked for 41years and rarely took all of my vacation time and had huge amounts of sick leave. So considering my decades long devotion to my profession there was no reason to feel guilty about leaving it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-19-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Default lots of good advice already given on this thread, but

Quote:
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working. I plan to retire next year at age 61 1/2. I have been careful, financially, which will enable me to live a modest, but comfortable life....which is what I have always done. But my parents always drilled a work ethic into me....work and save, work and save. How do others deal with the guilt of waking up on a Monday and not going to work along with everyone else? Does it dissipate over time? Did you not feel as guilty as you thought you might? I don't plan to sit in front of the TV eating bonbons. My plans are to exercise and be active in my new community.....but not pursuing a paycheck.....I am worried about how that will make me feel.

[snip]
Think of it this way: the most important tasks in life (e.g. raising kids, caring for elderly relatives, etc.) don't come with paychecks. So enjoy retirement!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-19-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement