U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 PM

31,613 posts, read 19,947,296 times

Advertisements

No guilt. At. All.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No guilt. At. All.
How could you living in paradise? LOL

Old 09-19-2017, 06:48 AM

364 posts, read 125,728 times
I'm a youngish retiree and most of my peer group is still working. I have gotten the jealous comments and "you're too young to retire" comments. No, I'm not too young. I worked 50+ years of my life if you count up the total hours worked. I also prioritized putting money into my IRA rather than buying a $350,000 house or spending on yearly trips to Europe. No, I don't feel guilty about retiring while they're still working. That's on them. They made their own choices. One of my friends decided to buy a vacation home a few years before retirement and is now forced to work full time to pay for it since they don't plan on selling their other house. Another person (who can't afford to retire) is someone who bought an expensive house and then had multiple layoffs from jobs so was never able to put money into the IRA. Another person decided to have children later in life and is now strapped with that. They all made their choices as I see it.

However, I do understand the OPs comment about work ethic. It's very important to me to be productive rather than idle. I do volunteering, have a slew of personal hobbies, and am looking for a part time job.

I have one friend who is extremely ambitious and still trying to ramp up a career, still pushing and driving to get ahead, still working 12-14 hour days. The only conversation with this person is about work, work, work. This person tends to be overbearing and tell me that I'm too young to retire and might live to be 100 so I better keep working. Most of the time I can fluff this stuff off but sometimes it gets on my nerves and if I'm going through a negative mental stretch, I might let it get me down that I'm no longer using my skills or being productive like I used to be. Sometimes I look at my activities and feel that there's no meat and potatoes there. A few volunteer activities or hobbies doesn't seem to give the same ego boost that job success typically provides. It's then that I wonder if I'm wasting the experience and skills that I used to have and maybe feel a little guilt. It's not guilt about retirement but guilt about not using the skills that I once had.

So I get where the OP is coming from.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
I'm going to retire next year and of course I'm very happy about it (particularly looking forward to the freedom I will experience), but yesterday I had a little heartpang when my colleague - a very nice guy- told me "I'm sure when you will be retired you will miss my little jokes", I certainly will...

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM

40,201 posts, read 15,177,008 times
This thread has been cleaned up, off-topic posts deleted. People, remember that this is not the Politics forum. Tread lightly and keep your comments non-political, or the thread will be permanently closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-19-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM

74 posts, read 39,027 times
[/quote]Now all of a sudden, at the moment of retirement, that official "place" as a contributing member of society evaporates. We still have an identity as an individual, of course; we have knowledge, interests, and ways of finding joy in life. But something very important and very central is indeed missing.

That takes an adjustment for many folks (notice I didn't say for all folks), so that need for an adjustment is what I hear the OP writing about.[/quote]

Very well stated. This is a key consideration for people contemplating retirement. My advice would be to make sure you are clear about what will be the central focus of your life before you retire. Make the changes necessary to set yourself up for an enjoyable post-career life while you still have the financial means and health to do so.

Things that people commonly do to replace work and a career often include:

-Family, travel/relocation to spend time with family
-Home projects, renovations, gardening, downsizing
-Social activities, volunteer work
-Travel in general
-Hobbies
-Fitness, exercise, walking, bike riding
-Finances, money management, investing
-Community involvement, charity, political causes
-Religion

I have found that arranging my week in advance with time scheduled for activities like these is quite helpful.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Retirement Guilt -- can't even image that. It's unimaginable for me.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM

31,613 posts, read 19,947,296 times
I contribute to society by stimulating the economy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
GUILT
[ɡilt]

NOUN
1) the fact of having committed a specified or implied offense or crime:
"it is the duty of the prosecution to prove the prisoner's guilt"
synonyms: culpability guiltiness blameworthiness wrongdoing wrong criminality misconduct sin
antonyms: innocence
2) a feeling of having done wrong or failed in an obligation:
"he remembered with sudden guilt the letter from his mother that he had not yet read"
synonyms: self-reproach self-condemnation shame a guilty conscience pangs of conscience remorse remorsefulness regret contrition contriteness compunction guilt complex
antonyms: innocence

Guilt? Heck no! That would imply that I have done something wrong. In my opinion, the ability to retire means that you have something right (many things, actually). Absolutely no reason to feel guilty because you have achieved a long anticipated dream that you worked hard to fulfill. The fact that others have not done the same is not your fault. Would you feel guilty if you won a race and others didn't? If someone fell during the race, but you were running ahead of them and didn't see them fall, is that your fault? It's okay to feel bad for someone, but that feeling isn't guilt, or it shouldn't be unless you were the cause of their failure.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,521,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Thrown overboard by whom? Your spouse or partner?
Metaphorically speakin'. Maybe I was just bred to work and don't know anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement