U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 03:41 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,293,703 times

Advertisements

Fall because of football and the 5 month summer is over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,145,682 times
I like all seasons, but the summer heat really bothers me. It isn't too bad up here in northern Maine, but there are those days that are just a waste of good life!

October is my favorite "season". In New England it's beautiful! The garden harvest is in, the meat in the freezer, the pantry weighted down with our own canned goods. The wood stove is fired up for the season, the woolens come out of storage, the plow blade is hitched to the truck for the snow that will arrive any day now. Church bean suppers, homemade apple pies, and spicy pork ribs all warm the soul.

Once the first snowflakes begin to fall, and the holiday goose is on the table (our own home grown), it's paradise up here!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 AM

3,414 posts, read 3,178,832 times
moved to Texas to get away from true winter and never regretted it. Spring is most definitely my favorite time of year. The birds are active and singing, everything is blooming. I love summer next, despite the heat. It still represents freedom to me (a memory from childhood when your life was your own from early morning until it got dark). I have grown to appreciate Fall with age, but still, despite the great weather, football season - it still represents to me, the beauty just before death (winter). Since I was a young kid, I have always held a strong association with the seasons and the life cycle so, Fall is always bittersweet to me. Winter is something to survive, nothing more.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 AM

364 posts, read 552,591 times
I love Fall. It may be autumnal, with intimations of death, but it is also associated with new beginnings. Back to school, cultural activities, holidays to come. Outstanding weather, great stargazing, that tang in the air.
“There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir...”

Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 AM

12,567 posts, read 15,036,884 times
I enjoy fall the most. Weather is pleasant, we see old friends & family during the holidays and reminisce about times past. Football is on and the outdoor environment (fall colors) is the prettiest.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Late spring to early summer. My birthday is April 22. That is when summer businesses - marinas, outdoor restaurants, etc., start really opening up here in full force. Some of the water parks will open a bit before Memorial Day. Depending on the weather, you can sometimes even go swimming in local rivers and lakes in late April, but it will be cold. The vegetation is out and at its best.

I'm a big baseball fan and like early season games. They aren't as oppressive for a long time in the sun like an August day game. August is normally kind of dry and the yards go brown. Fall can be dry too. September has been cool and wet so far, I think one day didn't make it past 60, but that is rare. We are now having a bit of a late summer with temps in the low - mid 80s for the foreseeable future, but are getting a break in the humidity.

Thanksgiving to Easter is just washout for me. I don't like the cold, don't like the holidays, and just want to go to Florida.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Summer, cause I like hot weather and hate cold weather.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
Fall to early winter. I dislike heat. Winter here in the mountains has a distinct beauty. And who couldn't love the beauty of Fall--

https://www.exploreasheville.com/tri...-color-report/

Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
For me each season has it's charm. My part of CA has four real seasons. Summer is my least favorite, but it's OK. The cool evenings, the smell of mountain misery and the cicadas chirping at night. Winter makes me feel alive with the challenges of dealing with snow and skiing. Spring, cuz winter is over and the world turns green and colorful. Fall: I love the feel of change in the air the transition of the sky and the cooler days and the beginning of the rain season.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM

13,879 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Fall! Turning off the AC is good for my soul and my pocketbook! Looks like it will be OFF before the end of the week! Fall is such a welcome change after the long hot Las Vegas summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or