Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

i had a silver plan . it basically sucked! my deductibles and co-pays were thousands . it was really catastrophic insurance . for the 6k a year i paid in premiums i got barely any use out of the coverage .

if i was younger i would have paid the fine and took a way cheaper catastrophic policy and saved 1/2 the money .

that is what most healthy folks did . it left the aca with the sick , and the older people who afraid any minute something would happen , like myself . the healthy were not really paying for the unhealthy the way it was supposed to work .

i had 2 insurers go under already .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM

372 posts, read 576,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
One thing to remember in this discussion is that there are several plans available through the ACA. Anyone who is using one of the Platinum plans, which offer more generous coverage [good for people with health issues] get ZERO in subsidies. It is not eligible for the subsidies. Just because someone is using an ACA plan does not mean they are using the Silver plan. And some people are above the income limits for subsidies!

In my county in California, there are six Platinum plans available through the Covered California Marketplace, and a couple in their early 60s with $60,000 in income would receive a tax credit of $1152 to apply to any of these policies.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Goin' Coastal -- Wow -- that is good! I had thought the subsidy rules are nation-wide, Federal rules. Perhaps some states subsidize additional benefits? Thanks for that info.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
In my county in California, there are six Platinum plans available through the Covered California Marketplace, and a couple in their early 60s with $60,000 in income would receive a tax credit of $1152 to apply to any of these policies.
How much are those platinum plans? My Silver plan just got increased to $1,950/ month.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had a silver plan . it basically sucked! my deductibles and co-pays were thousands . it was really catastrophic insurance . for the 6k a year i paid in premiums i got barely any use out of the coverage .

if i was younger i would have paid the fine and took a way cheaper catastrophic policy and saved 1/2 the money .

that is what most healthy folks did . it left the aca with the sick , and the older people who afraid any minute something would happen , like myself . the healthy were not really paying for the unhealthy the way it was supposed to work .

i had 2 insurers go under already .
I, too, had 2 insurers drop out since i’ve Been buying my own insurance. The new plans were just put out here in Georgia and neither of the ACA plans cover my doctor so I am going to take my chances and buy insurance privately rather than on the exchange. This saddens me since I so want ACAto succeed.
I just feel so lucky that we planned and saved to retire early. Now I just have to count the days (less than a thousand now,) until I qualify for Medicare.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 PM

372 posts, read 576,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
How much are those platinum plans? My Silver plan just got increased to $1,950/ month.
Kaiser was $937 after the tax credit, and Blue Shield was $1706 after the credit.
I don’t know the other plans’ pricing.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:10 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
Kaiser was $937 after the tax credit, and Blue Shield was $1706 after the credit.
I don’t know the other plans’ pricing.
Got it, thanks

Old 10-29-2017, 01:40 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I, too, had 2 insurers drop out since i’ve Been buying my own insurance. The new plans were just put out here in Georgia and neither of the ACA plans cover my doctor so I am going to take my chances and buy insurance privately rather than on the exchange. This saddens me since I so want ACAto succeed.
I just feel so lucky that we planned and saved to retire early. Now I just have to count the days (less than a thousand now,) until I qualify for Medicare.
i made it to medicare 3 weeks ago .

Old 10-29-2017, 09:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
At 55, not a chance in hell I’ll make it to Medicare before ACA implodes.

Anyone wanna guess what my monthly premiums will be 9 years from now at age 64? Over 1500?
Over 2k? I’m betting over 2k.

Congrats to those who made it to Medicare. I never would have thought, 35 years ago, that it would be such a milestone.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
At 55, not a chance in hell I’ll make it to Medicare before ACA implodes.

Anyone wanna guess what my monthly premiums will be 9 years from now at age 64? Over 1500?
Over 2k? I’m betting over 2k.

Congrats to those who made it to Medicare. I never would have thought, 35 years ago, that it would be such a milestone.
Who would have thought that health insurance outside of employer provided would run into the tens of thousands of dollars for HEALTHY people ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement