U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 10,675,825 times

Advertisements

I agree with those who say good genes, good life-style choices to improve your chances, and good luck, roughly in that order. We each have all of those in different and varying combinations.

I would say that stress management skills (positive outlook) are a combination of good genes and good life-style choices.

As mentioned, sometimes good genes can even overcome less than optimal life-style choices like fatty diet, drinking, smoking, and sometimes people with optimal life-style choices can still die young due to genetic disease, accident or some other misfortune or mishap.

The possibilities are endless and each life is different.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,295,245 times
Wow, 109. Holy Smokes!! I loved that video and re-posted it to FB.
Very inspring

My paternal grandmother lived to be 101. She had quite the life.

I think it is a positive outlook and good genes.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM

35,489 posts, read 10,509,275 times
Keep breathing for as long as possible.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM

724 posts, read 482,533 times
I wonder about this sort of thing as well. As I approach 51 years I am reminded that all of 4 of my grand parents ended up with Alzheimer's in their late 60's and 70's. Makes me wonder if those gene's will wiggle down to me and I am saving for retirement for nothing. :/

Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,154,458 times
After just being soundly thrashed over at the SS&P board for having the temerity to suggest that at age 70 I still have a healthy and productive life, I can say this:

Intelligence has a great deal to do with it. So does a strong desire to live. So does being passionately engaged in a pursuit that one believes in. So does feeling that one is contributing to an important cause or body of knowledge. You must be mentally active!

IMO, most people can live as long as they really want to. When they get to the point where they just don't care about anything any more, and give up, then they die.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM

1,060 posts, read 462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I wonder about this sort of thing as well. As I approach 51 years I am reminded that all of 4 of my grand parents ended up with Alzheimer's in their late 60's and 70's. Makes me wonder if those gene's will wiggle down to me and I am saving for retirement for nothing. :/
Don't go into debt at all and your retirement years will be fine. Everyone needs to be as worry free a possible in your older years 'cause what you want to do in middle age may not be physically possible in your later years.

Peace of mind is everything.......

Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 PM

1,060 posts, read 462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Does every centenarian smoke and drink whiskey (just assuming the whiskey part). Yes, outlook is important - I do wish they'd talk to more folks who don't necessarily partake in unhealthy habits though.
Believe it or not both alcohol and pure tobacco (Cigars & Pipe tobacco NOT damn cigarettes!) will help you live longer if taken in moderation as intended.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:48 PM

28 posts, read 12,917 times
If drinking, smoking cigars, eating Campbell's etc. makes you happy, then that's what you should do. I'm sure Mr. Overton has good genes but exploited them with personal joy to get to where he is today.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol,
My uncle also died at a very old age. never went into a nursing home, outside of arthritis he was pretty healthy. anyhoo, I remember his last checkup when he was about 96 and his doctor said he needed to cut back on fatty food.

Seriously dude? at 98??

but I get your point, truthfully I wonder if it's more than just unhealthy habits. I do think the quality of the food nowadays has a lot to do with our health issues. but that's a topic for another day.

I do think a positive outlook is number one. Take these boards. I rarely see post from people ENJOYING retirement. everyone here seems scared to death of ending up in a nursing home. I don't want to live the rest of my life stressing over whether I will end up on medicaid.

LOL, don't know about boyfriend driving at 109!!
Exactly. NOT engaging in bad habits doesnt exactly mean a healthy long life either.

And if someone is in their high digits, who cares if they smoke or drink!?!?

Retirement and how one will end up can be a BIG stress point, so maybe a little tobacky and a shot or two will ease that stress.

The longer you live the further your $$ has to go, too. So that alone can be a stressor.

I'm early retired on SSDI, but after 13 years it doesn't pay what it used to on the bills. So I am now back to work part time just to increase my benefits and am a " Working person with disabilities " now. So if 13 years does a number and maybe drains the assets, I can image what being retired for 25 years will do/ has done for most people, even those who had a million$ account to start with.

So if you're in your higher digits pull up a chair for a game of checkers with me, I'll get the glasses, ice and ashtray ready for you!

Cheers!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,348,238 times
Yes, sometimes it's less how long you live than HOW you live.

I read this article some while back and don't remember enough of the important things to make this very meaningful, but I never forgot the gist, so will share. The deal was that they did a study on how to stop men dying of heart attacks. I believe this was not done in the US, but it was all men in that danger zone age, 40-55 or so. They split them in half and one half did exercise and changed their diets and lost weight and lowered their cholesterol. I don't remember how long they followed them, but I'll never forget that the outcome was that while the rate of men who died of heart related problems declined, the overall death rate remained precisely the same. Those who didn't died from their hearts died in accidents or through violence or some other reason. So basically the outcome of the study was that it was all down to fate. They arrived at this outcome scientifically.

While meanwhile back here in real life, I am the only one of the smokers in my family to have been able to quit. I was related to a lot of drinkers and thankfully that gene passed me by. I can tell you that I am healthier at my current age than I remember most of my now deceased relatives being. So I may not live longer, but I will feel better for however long I may live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement