U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,574,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
After just being soundly thrashed over at the SS&P board for having the temerity to suggest that at age 70 I still have a healthy and productive life/

Oh fer cryin' out loud! Sending a hug.

I always say, "I've been where you are and you have yet to trod my path." So what do those whippersnappers know anyway? They're making judgments with only half the information.

Ageism is the last great prejudice in this country and no one seems to notice but us oldsters. Remember during the Sixties when everyone had a cause? The Gray Panthers. Where did they go?

Don't answer. It's all too obvious.

Besides genetics, luck and good habits I'm glad to hear people talking about moderation. Maybe there are those of us who get enjoyment out of working hard at health but I'm not one of them. There have to be little luxurious splurges along the way.

We've got the gift of all these senses and I think we were intended to find pleasure from them. So I try to hit a happy medium. After all, as we've noticed, good health isn't just about a healthy body. A healthy spirit and mind are equally valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

Believe it or not both alcohol and pure tobacco (Cigars & Pipe tobacco NOT damn cigarettes!) will help you live longer if taken in moderation as intended.
what? tobacco in cigars and pipes will help you live longer?? Where did you get this idea? Do you have some articles which discuss this idea?

Every article I have seen does not say this.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-19-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

IMO, most people can live as long as they really want to.
Where did you get the idea that people can live as long as they really want to?

Most people get diseases or their organs and body break down and no longer function effectively, and they thereby die from old age. It is not just dependent on mental involvement in the world and being engaged mentally.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-19-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 05:30 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
@ matisse12 : yes , indeed , people don't want to acknowledge the obvious because it is so painful : past a certain stage (different for each individual), due to telomers shortening progressively with old age, even if a body has been perfectly healthy up to that point, it breaks down, and it can be fast. I always keep in mind what happened to my granddad , he served inb the military most of his life, didn't smoke and drank very little (a glass of fine wine from time to time), and generally took very good care of his health, and was very fit until he reached 83, and then suddenly he had problems upon problems, first a cardfiac problem (he had to be fitted with a pacemaker), but that didn't kill him, what killed him at 86 (in 6 months!) was a sudden tumor which grew in his brain....

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM

1,060 posts, read 462,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
what? tobacco in cigars and pipes will help you live longer?? Where did you get this idea? Do you have some articles which discuss this idea?

Every article I have seen does not say this.
Due to the present mental climate the anti-tobacco push is ,and always has been, against cigarettes which are deadly toxic man made cancer sticks. All the public is told about tobacco smoking is centered on the foul cigarette. No mention is ever made about marijuana smoking in the negative propaganda fed to the public. Big pharma supports and funds the anti-smoking agenda to cut out a big chunk of tobacco's money for themselves.

The public lumps "smoking" into one mind set represented by the cigarette. This is not true. Real all pure tobacco that make up pipe ,and higher quality cigars,tobacco , when used in moderation, helps calm a person down with a refreshing pause. Staying calm & stress free is key to a longer life.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Quote:
Due to the present mental climate the anti-tobacco push is ,and always has been, against cigarettes which are deadly toxic man made cancer sticks. All the public is told about tobacco smoking is centered on the foul cigarette. No mention is ever made about marijuana smoking in the negative propaganda fed to the public. Big pharma supports and funds the anti-smoking agenda to cut out a big chunk of tobacco's money for themselves.

The public lumps "smoking" into one mind set represented by the cigarette. This is not true. Real all pure tobacco that make up pipe ,and higher quality cigars,tobacco , when used in moderation, helps calm a person down with a refreshing pause. Staying calm & stress free is key to a longer life.

Just a comment from a non-smoker. I had two older sisters, both started smoking at a very early age. Both are dead now after going through a lot of agony associated with COPD and eventual lung cancer. They were heavy cigarette smokers, but they also drank heavily.

Through the grace of God, I did not follow their footsteps.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Believe it or not, pure tobacco (Cigars & Pipe tobacco NOT damn cigarettes!) will help you live longer if taken in moderation as intended.
Quote:

The public lumps "smoking" into one mind set represented by the cigarette. This is not true. Real all pure tobacco that make up pipe, and higher quality cigars. Tobacco, when used in moderation, helps calm a person down with a refreshing pause. Staying calm & stress free is key to a longer life.
Smoking Pipes and Cigars: Health Effects and Cancer Concerns

Effects of Smoking Pipes and Cigars

Cigar and Pipe Smoking Just as Risky as Cigarettes

Research shows that cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.

A single large cigar can contain more than a 1/2 ounce of tobacco -- as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes. One cigar also contains 100 to 200 milligrams of nicotine, while a cigarette averages only about 8 milligrams. That extra nicotine may be why smoking just a few cigars a week is enough to trigger nicotine cravings.

Health Effects of Smoking Pipes and Cigars

Here are just a few of the harmful health effects of smoking pipes and cigars:

Cancer. Even if you don't inhale, you can get a number of different cancers from smoking pipes and cigars. People who smoke cigars regularly are four to 10 times more likely than nonsmokers to die from cancers of the mouth, larynx, and esophagus. Oral cancer can develop anywhere the smoke touches, including the lips, mouth, throat, and tongue. People who inhale also increase their risk for cancers of the lung, pancreas, and bladder.

Lung disease . Cigar and pipe smoking double the risk for the airway damage that leads to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a lung disease that includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Smoking can also worsen existing asthma.

Heart disease . Smoking cigars or pipes increases the likelihood of having heart disease or a stroke. Cigars boost the risk of early death from coronary heart disease by 30%.

Teeth problems. Smoking pipes or cigars wreaks havoc on your mouth, contributing to gum disease, stained teeth, bad breath, and tooth loss. One study showed that pipe and cigar smokers had an average of four missing teeth.

Erectile dysfunction
. Smokers are twice as likely to have erectile dysfunction as nonsmokers.

Cigars and pipes aren't just dangerous to the people who smoke them. They also give off secondhand smokefilled with toxic chemicals like carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. Because a cigar wrapper (which is made from a tobacco leaf) is less porous than a cigarette wrapper, it doesn't burn as thoroughly as a cigarette wrapper. This increases the concentration of cancer-causing substances like ammonia, tar, and carbon monoxide released into the air.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-20-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM

362 posts, read 296,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Good genes and good luck.
Yep, Agree Genetics and luck play a big role in longevity. How many healthy souls died bravely defending our country, or car accidents, etc. It takes some luck to survive in this world. Good genes give you a healthy chance. Great video, thanks. & Good Luck...

Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM

1,060 posts, read 462,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Smoking Pipes and Cigars: Health Effects and Cancer Concerns

Effects of Smoking Pipes and Cigars

Cigar and Pipe Smoking Just as Risky as Cigarettes

Research shows that cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.

A single large cigar can contain more than a 1/2 ounce of tobacco -- as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes. One cigar also contains 100 to 200 milligrams of nicotine, while a cigarette averages only about 8 milligrams. That extra nicotine may be why smoking just a few cigars a week is enough to trigger nicotine cravings.

Health Effects of Smoking Pipes and Cigars

Here are just a few of the harmful health effects of smoking pipes and cigars:

Cancer. Even if you don't inhale, you can get a number of different cancers from smoking pipes and cigars. People who smoke cigars regularly are four to 10 times more likely than nonsmokers to die from cancers of the mouth, larynx, and esophagus. Oral cancer can develop anywhere the smoke touches, including the lips, mouth, throat, and tongue. People who inhale also increase their risk for cancers of the lung, pancreas, and bladder.

Lung disease . Cigar and pipe smoking double the risk for the airway damage that leads to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a lung disease that includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Smoking can also worsen existing asthma.

Heart disease . Smoking cigars or pipes increases the likelihood of having heart disease or a stroke. Cigars boost the risk of early death from coronary heart disease by 30%.

Teeth problems. Smoking pipes or cigars wreaks havoc on your mouth, contributing to gum disease, stained teeth, bad breath, and tooth loss. One study showed that pipe and cigar smokers had an average of four missing teeth.

Erectile dysfunction
. Smokers are twice as likely to have erectile dysfunction as nonsmokers.

Cigars and pipes aren't just dangerous to the people who smoke them. They also give off secondhand smokefilled with toxic chemicals like carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. Because a cigar wrapper (which is made from a tobacco leaf) is less porous than a cigarette wrapper, it doesn't burn as thoroughly as a cigarette wrapper. This increases the concentration of cancer-causing substances like ammonia, tar, and carbon monoxide released into the air.
All you're doing is parroting the propaganda of the right wing anti-tobacco crowd.

It's true that cigarettes are toxic BUT you , and scores of other people, that drink the kool aid by ignoring the statement of "in moderation". Many of the foods ,and medicines. are toxic to the point of being known to be deadly substances to a glutton,

Some whizz kid some where thinks up a slogan then applies it with lots of glossy advertisement to brain wash people that this or that is bad for you. Sure stuff is bad for if you're a glutton.

For now I'll just take solace in enjoying my pipe after dinner. Leaving the anti tobacco crowd to drink the kool aid of twisted propaganda put forward by people who subscribe to the double standard about Tobacco & Marijuana.

Nuff said!

Old 09-21-2017, 05:54 PM

6,441 posts, read 3,070,464 times
My father is 87. He has long outlived the genetic history of his family of origin.

According to him, the secret to a long and happy life is having something to get up for in the morning.

For him, its his wife of 64 years, his daughter who is waiting to have morning coffee/conversation with him on the front porch, his beloved dog who needs to be walked, a drive to get the morning newspaper and then reading what is going on in the world. Simple things, but they apparently keep him going despite a few health issues that he has.

Later in the day a few days a week he goes to an exercise class. Some mornings he takes my mother out for breakfast instead of coffee with my sister.

Its working so far lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement