U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 PM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many areas, if the power goes out so does cable and phone as the lines are all on the same poles. Good luck finding a corded phone! My WalMart does not carry them.
If you have a land line on copper wires you will have phone service even if the power goes out. Just make sure you have a regular plug in phone, as cordless sets won't work without power to the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,531,320 times
For a short while I had what the company who provides cable tv and internet (I get internet) called a 'landline'. For a true landline a cable would have to be run to the house, as there is none. But the phone rang, and rang, and so on. I got an interesting variety of messages, but it was pretty sure that the number had had a lot of customers. And some male person derided me in spanish when I answered, and I finally hung up on him and unplugged it.

I ask the company if they can provide numbers without fifty people waiting to call you, but they said they just assign them. After a few months when it wasn't used I cancelled. I just got a cheaper cell as a second phone for use when the other one was charging. I did miss calling my cell on the 'landline' to find it.

There are real advantages of having a landline, especially if you get power outages, so its a lifeline. But check and make sure its the *real deal* with a cable and will work without power or you don't have much of an advantage.

If I had an actual line in the ground, I just might get one of those 'emergency/limited time lines, but if it has to have a net connection if the power goes out its still dead.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Nope. Not any more.
I did though. Until I moved earlier this year, I was committed to having a landline. Didn't want to just talk only on the cell.
I talk a lot on the phone, and just preferred the land phone...better quality, it was cordless, I could pick it (or any extension) up in any room. It was great.

Then I moved. Had to cut expenses. Didn't get a landline or cable TV. TV is what I can get with an antenna plugged into the back of the set.

Don't know if I'll ever go back to landline OR paying for cable TV.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:58 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,531,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
When I moved to FL I didn't bother to get a landline. I kept our cellphones with our old GA #s so that people would know how to reach us. Four years later I am considering cancelling my husband's cell phone since he only talks once a week to his mom and his sister and he could do that on my phone. I haven't missed having a landline.
I moved to OK from California. I kept the California phone and number and area code for four years. By then, I was sure I wasn't moving back so I checked, and could just have the area code changed.

My house has no cable for a landline, and I tried the wired internet one, but me and another batch of people had the number. People would argue if I answered sometimes, sure I must be lying. I got rid of it and got a cheap second phone. I'm Horrible about sitting down my phone and forgetting where it landed. It's helpful if you can call it, but then you have to remember to charge it.

My backup looks like the origional star trek's communicators, which is why I picked it. Lousey phone, though. The one I saw which looks like the tng communicator, and you push a buttons on it does really sound fun. I'm thinking I might get one even if it might not make finding an awol cell easier. But it would just look SO cool.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,474,276 times
As I said here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49513243-post26.html

I have my reasons.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:10 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,745,665 times
Not for about 5 years.

I was solidly in the camp of landlines, even though I was paying Verizon $70 a month for POTS. Me, if there's a blackout, I want to be able to call all my relatives to tell them I have POTS.

Then about 5 years ago, I noticed it went out. I called Verizon to fix it and after standing on my head to try to get someone to come out to come out 2x to fix it, was told nope, they don't fix anymore, they can only switch to FIOS which is utter nonsense.

So I swapped the phone number to a phone number collected to our cable for $10 a month.

The only people who call this line are my Congressional representative and telemarketers.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:33 AM

600 posts, read 271,874 times
Yes, I do still have a landline, but only because my internet service (which is currently bundled with Spectrum/Time Warner Cable) would increase exponentially in price if I dump the landline. I have tried several times.

Go figure.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 AM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
I hope this is not off topic

one of the most fun things about having a land line and old rotary phone is trying to explain to people that you don't have their number because they called you. First I say "I don't have a cell phone" which just confuses them. They can't seem to understand that they are going to have to tell me their number so I can write it down. Some people don't appear to know their number. Yesterday a very nice man told me three times that it should be coming up on my phone.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 AM

2,215 posts, read 742,342 times
Got rid of the landline about 10 years ago. No need for it and haven't missed it.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Yes, I do still have a landline, but only because my internet service (which is currently bundled with Spectrum/Time Warner Cable) would increase exponentially in price if I dump the landline. I have tried several times.

Go figure.
Yep, me too, and I'm also in Dayton but I think this is common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or