U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,432,228 times

Advertisements

I actually have two landlines with different phone numbers. One that I've had forever. The other came in a package deal with cable (and will eventually be gone when I change cable packages).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
For a short while I had what the company who provides cable tv and internet (I get internet) called a 'landline'. For a true landline a cable would have to be run to the house, as there is none. But the phone rang, and rang, and so on. I got an interesting variety of messages, but it was pretty sure that the number had had a lot of customers. And some male person derided me in spanish when I answered, and I finally hung up on him and unplugged it.

I ask the company if they can provide numbers without fifty people waiting to call you, but they said they just assign them. After a few months when it wasn't used I cancelled. I just got a cheaper cell as a second phone for use when the other one was charging. I did miss calling my cell on the 'landline' to find it.

There are real advantages of having a landline, especially if you get power outages, so its a lifeline. But check and make sure its the *real deal* with a cable and will work without power or you don't have much of an advantage.

If I had an actual line in the ground, I just might get one of those 'emergency/limited time lines, but if it has to have a net connection if the power goes out its still dead.
Your remarks about power and cell phones puzzle me. You need TWO cell phones because one is always without a charge?? Do you use it THAT much? And...it's been many years since I had a land line, but ours' didn't work when there was a power outage. Cell phones do.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're very lucky. We don't have lines underground here.
I bet that you don't have our winds either.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM

6,586 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Nope...not anymore

Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
We had a landline with DSL on it. But the audio had a lot of noise on it, and we kept asking people to call us back on our cellphone, so we could hear them. After a couple years of doing that, we finally dropped the phone part and kept the DSL part. It is our only way to access the internet.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:50 AM

25,336 posts, read 41,458,454 times
We have a "Landline", Cable DSL with voice phone and we also have one cellphone.

That has been working very well for us for several years...

Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 PM

2,474 posts, read 906,313 times
Yes, I have one. When I'm home I like being able to screen calls with the answering machine. I do NOT carry my cell around with me inside/around the house.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM

238 posts, read 119,301 times
About 4 years ago, I'd finally had enough of AT&T socking me with ever-increasing taxes, fees and surcharges, so I ported my landline number over to Vonage.

My landline number has been associated with my name and address for so many years, I wanted to keep it.

At first, I kept AT&T for stand-alone DSL internet after switching to Vonage phone service, but the first time I tried to have a Vonage phone conversation of any length, the DSL connection quickly dropped, it was always problematic in the 8 or so years I had it, but extra bad on the weekends, even though I'm not very far from the central office, so after a month or two, I decided enough was enough, and switched to Cox cable internet, and everything was fine after that.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,432,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
it's been many years since I had a land line, but ours' didn't work when there was a power outage. Cell phones do.

Our landline phone connected to the phone jack works when power is off. The landline through the cable company goes out when we lose power.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,152,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Our landline phone connected to the phone jack works when power is off. The landline through the cable company goes out when we lose power.
Put a UPS Power Supply on your Modem and Router (Wifi) power cord and it would work.

Last edited by flyonpa; 09-20-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or