U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 711,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There are "Cordless" phone that have BlueTooth that connect to Cells. I have two "Cordless" phone (no Landline) that connect to my Cell, They ring like a normal phone, work like a normal landline phone, So I don't have to carry my cell around the house.
We have a cordless land line phone with that feature. I don't use it because blue tooth reduces the battery charge life on the cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:56 PM

8,981 posts, read 8,128,070 times
My wife and I are both in late 80s, and are in good health.

We had an Internet based land line for $40 a year, unlimited calling for a few years. It had a better sound, and worked better than the regular phone company that also supplied our internet could give us.

We finally did as older people all should, got an emergency button to call for help in emergencies. I bought one for each of us, and it includes cell phone service. Our cell phone system reads extra strong signal, so it is no problems. Due to the emergency call button, we keep them with us at all times, and on chargers beside the beds at night.

After a couple of months, and time to renew our annual land line for $40 my wife thought it was time to get rid of the land line, which even if we are registered for no phone solicitation, we had a steady diet of some of them still calling, which was most of our land line calls. We did months ago, and have been happy with that decision every since.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,041,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I hope this is not off topic

one of the most fun things about having a land line and old rotary phone is trying to explain to people that you don't have their number because they called you. First I say "I don't have a cell phone" which just confuses them. They can't seem to understand that they are going to have to tell me their number so I can write it down. Some people don't appear to know their number. Yesterday a very nice man told me three times that it should be coming up on my phone.
I still have a landline, and I have caller ID which shows who is calling. Friends call me on it. My older friend can't hear right if I call her on my cell phone. I do get tons of robocalls and don't answer if I don't know who is calling. I have both a cordless, and a corded phone from about 30 years ago which I can use in power failures. We average at least one 5 hour outage a year.
I carry a flip cell phone with a senior plan, which is limited to Verizon, the one carrier that works in my rural area. I use it for long distance to people who can hear me OK with it, and to call AAA when I need to. And to call for phone repair when the ll stops working.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:56 PM

145 posts, read 61,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Yes I do because I need to have a land line with the type of home alarm system I have.
Have your alarm co. change you to a wireless panel. 2 good reasons;

1. If the bad guy goes to your demarcation point (a little grey box on an exterior wall) it is easy to disconnect your in-house wiring from the telephone line. No telephone line, no call to monitoring system.

2. It will eliminate the monthly telephone company bill.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 PM

145 posts, read 61,079 times
When I moved to west central FL I got the broad band cable/voice/ data package. The broad band line gives me enough to handle a phone call, watch the TV and use 2 laptops at once without a burp.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM

721 posts, read 301,918 times
No

Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM

194 posts, read 321,472 times
We only have one because DH's pacemaker monitoring device requires a land line to dial in to the doctor on a regular basis. If not for that, it would be gone. We have good cell service & a low cost prepaid cell plan that works for us. Since we need the cell phones, I have changed the land line to measured service and that cut the cost in half.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:23 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,226,129 times
Yes I have a business and the quality of calls can't compare to all these people on their cells who sound underwater, static-y, in a cave, and drop calls. Or who call from the car with all the background noise.

Combining that with ME being on a cell drives me nuts. I have a Google voice number for business which forwards to my cell and landline but I generally won't answer on the cell unless it's a client I want to speak with and I'm not home.

Also better if you're on hold waiting on speaker which is stronger than any cell speaker.

Also it's easy to mute or cut yourself off on the cell if you hit the wrong spot on the phone with your ear or chin LOL.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 PM

7,303 posts, read 4,171,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I kept the land line because we've had the same phone number for almost 30 years. We use Ooma so it's very cheap.
You can port your land line number over to a cell phone.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 AM

7,303 posts, read 4,171,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We had a landline with DSL on it. But the audio had a lot of noise on it, and we kept asking people to call us back on our cellphone, so we could hear them. After a couple years of doing that, we finally dropped the phone part and kept the DSL part. It is our only way to access the internet.
When we had DSL we were given a filter to ensure our land line had clear reception. It went between the phone and the jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or