U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:37 PM

15,816 posts, read 15,051,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
For long calls where you talk with a friend, for example, for a long time, doesn't the often very poor quality of reception on cellphones bother some of you?
For me it's not the reception, but the FLAT cell phone against my ear that hurts after about 15 minutes, so I prefer the landline for longer calls since the earpiece is curved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM

6,547 posts, read 3,105,193 times
We have a landline for the same reasons mentioned by many above. Sound quality is better and its more comfortable especially since I have long phone conversations with several people each week.

I also don't like carrying my cell phone around and we have land lines in many rooms in the house.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 4,171,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Cell towers will only work as long as they are powered. Most have backup generators to keep them running, but may be limited by the fuel supply, And the ability to resupply them with fuel.

The Landline (Central Office) has the same issue, of needed to re-supply the fuel to the backup generators.

But landline have more of a "power issue" now. Many POTS lines do not go all the way to the central office as a dedicated line, they go to Multiplexers along the path to the CO. Roadside cabinets that take hundreds or thousands of POTS line and multiplex them into a fiber-optic connection, or multi-stream then down some copper lines to the CO in parallel. The Power to the Landline POTS phone come from the Multiplexer cabinet. All will have UPS battery supplies, but few will have backup generators. So when the UPS battery dies, so does the POTS landlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What percentage of your readers do you suppose have the slightest idea of what you're talking about in the paragraph I bolded. Technical jargon impresses no one.
Makes sense to me. But I used to work in a Central Office once upon a time. All he is saying is that backup power from the central office only goes as far as the multiplexers. So once the battery backup at the multiplexer dies, you will no longer have landline service until power is restored. Back in my day we had a large battery bank that supplied power to the entire telephone system until emergency power kicked in. So the entire system had uninterrupted power and always worked when there was a power failure.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A cheap phone is usually the problem. Sometimes a weak signal. All my friends and family use high end phones. When I call someone they can't tell I'm using my iPhone
That's been my experience. I have an iPhone 7 and my wife has a Galaxy 8 and no issues with either one, even when calling each other. They also work well with each of our vehicles. My wife called me from the Hyundai Sonata earlier and the only way I could tell she was using the car's Bluetooth was I could hear the turn signal clicking away.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I wonder if the operators of the airport are purposely jamming the cell signals in order to reduce interference with their ILS.

I've noticed similar issues near some of our Bay Area airports.
That would be totally illegal. Besides, they operate on totally different frequencies.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,211,155 times
Yes, we have 2 landlines. Both cost next to nothing thru Time Warner. One landline is our published junk line. It's for marketing firms, fishing call centers, unknown vendors, and pesky politicians. The ringers are turned off and we don't anwer these phones. We check for voicemails every day or so. The other landline is non-published. We give that number to doctors, pharmicies, long-term friends, and distant family members. Those calls are important and we answer them on the first ring.

Our iphone numbers are pretty much a personal immediate intercom system for immediate family numbers and very close friends.

I learned the hard way when I gave my cell phone number to a car dealer. They always have hot today-only deals. Their numbers are blocked forever. If they have a hot deal that just can't wait, send me an email. I check email frequently.

We value our privacy.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM

4,842 posts, read 1,997,540 times
The advantage of a land line is that a corded phone can be attached, and is independently powered through the phone line.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:34 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,451,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
For me it's not the reception, but the FLAT cell phone against my ear that hurts after about 15 minutes, so I prefer the landline for longer calls since the earpiece is curved.
LOL, that's the biggest issue my husband has had using his cell alone. Worse than holding it to his ear though, his chin would hit the mute button and he didn't know it so he would be talking away and no one could hear him. Now he answers and immediately hits the speaker button.

Our voice quality is comparable to a land line - I would assume it's because we live in a major area with excellent coverage but also because we have good quality phones. It makes a huge difference.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,415,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Have not had a LL for years. I have Ooma, a voip that costs less than $4.50 a month. Its my primary phone with a cell from Cricket for home away.

No landline now as we live full time in the RV.

When we had a house we had the traditional LL along with cell phones. The LL about $32/month before making a single call, plus $.07/minute LD.

Kept the LL mostly for nostalgia and using the speakerphone while on hold with customer service folks. At the time the cell plans were low minutes and I did not want to burn them up on hold.

One month the LL bill was higher than expected and I dissected it. Turns out there is a LD access fee of $6/month if you make a single LD call this fee is charged. So a one minute LD call could wind up costing $6.07!

I switched to Ooma which is a VoIP that charges only the taxes and fees that your phone company charges. they make their money on the sale of the boxes (~$130 at Costco) and fancy feature add ons. My monthly cost was under $4/month.

Eventually upped the cell plan and ditched Ooma.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM

6,431 posts, read 4,190,957 times
I tried OOMA once. Often, our phones would never ring and there would be the indicator light that says someone left a message. Of course the only place we could place the unit so that it would have phone line and network connections was in a back room of the house. I kept it for about a year, so that the cost of the unit was realized in savings, then I dumped it. Changed from Directv and cable company for internet to triple play with cable company and saved even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or