U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 AM

673 posts, read 2,028,657 times

Advertisements

Whenever this comes up, there is always a general feeling that folks that only use cell phones are "hi-tech" and more forward thinking than LL users. We've had smart phones for quite a few years, and we like them. We also have a LL. It comes with our cable package, and if we dropped it our bill would be higher than with it. It comes with a bundle.

As people said above: my hearing is not what it used to be, and I am much more comfortable using a LL. We have phones all over the house, and don't have to drag a CP with us. The ID of the caller comes up on the TV when we are watching, which is v convenient. We don't answer if we feel like it's a scam call.

All our family and businesses we use know our LL number. We use it for most purposes like that. We both can use the same number, which is also convenient. My cell phone is often buried in my handbag, and I don't hear it ring.

We use our cells frequently to text family members, and send pics, etc. Wouldn't be without them. I would not willingly give up our LL. We have four around the house, and it's great. Long live the LL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 AM

11,087 posts, read 12,470,641 times
Nope. Too expensive. I have a cheap Tracfone cell phone. That's all I need. I use it to, gasp, make telephone calls.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM

911 posts, read 530,471 times
We have a landline although it's getting more expensive and seems wasteful. However, we had a network outage and my husband, working from home, was so glad to have a LL to fall back on. Cell phones are fine but reception isn't always great, and I hate the lag where you talk over the other person.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,485,759 times
I use both landline and cellphone. As someone posted upthread, the cell phone is not really a phone, but rather a portable computer with camera, speakers, microphone, free international communication tools, and FaceTime [once called the video phone]. It's rather challenging to live today without a cell phone, but when I'm at home I prefer a real computer [laptop, iPad, etc.] and telephone rather than what is essentially un-design beyond the black box cellphone.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:02 AM

2,525 posts, read 801,970 times
Had to get rid of the landline and switch to evil cable because every time it rained I would lose service because the phone lines were so ancient and I kept losing my internet connection. I still miss it and actually came home late from work the other night, super tired, and for a split second wanted to see if I had any messages on the answering machine. sigh.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 950 times
I do but it's disconnected

Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 AM

8,963 posts, read 7,737,941 times
I have a land line primarily as it was a local call to my wife from her mother. With my wife passed away, I am considering dumping my land line. It is now tied into a phone, internet, cable TV package and if I ever change (actually more when) that package, the land line will go away.

I have a low cost but limited cell phone plan (TracFone) and if it was to be my only phone, I will need to change my cell phone service provider. I recently did some checking around on cell phone plans to help a friend change her cell phone plan. She switched to Virgin Mobile. Unlimited talk, unlimited messages, unlimited data though they do slow the data down after 5mb of monthly usage all for $35 per month. Seemed the best for a one person one line, one number plan. No need for a family plan here.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:35 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Originally Posted by rodentraiser
I'm not about to pay over a hundred bucks just to have a landline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Yeek. Ours is about $20 now (was once nearly $70 with the previous provider)....I think it's all how they package this stuff, e.g. Internet, landline, cable, etc. Cell phones are under a different provider, unfortunately.

Agree with you there. I tend to forget my cell phone in my purse but check the landline messages first. Habit. My sister's cell phone is like an appendage. And kids are never without theirs.
He was talking about paying over $100 to obtain a triple package deal of internet, cable TV, and landline phone – usually from a cable TV company – where the landline often comes free with the triple deal.

He wasn’t talking about paying over $100 for just a landline and nothing else from a company.

(if I understand him correctly, that is – because I had mentioned the triple package option I get from xfinity/Comcast - not suggesting that he get this - but just mentioning how it is packaged)

Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We do not use our cell phones much. We keep a landline as part of a bundle with Internet. If we got rid of the landline our internet would go up $10. so we'd only be saving about $10.

We like that we can screen calls on the landline.
You can screen calls on a cell phone just as easily. All the info pops up whenever I receive a phone call. If they are in my contacts list, just their name shows up.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:17 PM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many areas, if the power goes out so does cable and phone as the lines are all on the same poles. Good luck finding a corded phone! My WalMart does not carry them.
Amazon has multiple ones for sale. Just checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or