U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 AM

166 posts, read 113,414 times

Advertisements

Landline what is that, something you tie your boat to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 AM

120 posts, read 59,189 times
In a last ditch effort to keep me subscribed to their Triple Play package, my cable company offered me telephone service, basic tv service, and free Showtime and Starz for $5 more than I was paying for internet alone.

Like others, the only calls that come in are from telemarketers.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:45 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Yes, but is VoIP. Have not had phone service via traditional phone lines for over a decade.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,280,594 times
Last time I had a landline was in TN, 2001 and never regretted the decision to drop it.
My house security used to work with internet connections, and the one installed in my house three years ago connects via cell towers so no lines for the crooks to cut.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,152,817 times
Nope, Been Cell Only Since 2003, When I transferred to Atlanta. Saw no need it getting one.

Moved again last year. Still Cell Only, and Kept/Still using my Atlanta Phone Number.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 AM

616 posts, read 346,504 times
For a glimpse of the future, travel outside the USA. Some years ago we were in Chile and the telcos there went wireless long ago. We had our cell phone with the correct SIM and a data plan but a new law required a tax ID (RUT) to use them, and we did not have the magic number needed so our cell phone was useless.

We survived on the kindness of strangers who helped us make calls and by using public call centers, places where, for a small fee, we could sit in a cubicle and use a desk phone. I think this is what we will eventually see here in the U.S., a cellular system for nearly everyone, and for the holdouts or truly isolated areas, a few landlines that are pay-per-use.

I agree with others who remember the sound quality of the old Ma Bell landlines being much better. Besides allowing a full duplex, two way conversation, I'd estimate the noise on a landline was 5X to 10X lower than a typical cellular connection today.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM

13,923 posts, read 7,422,661 times
When I'm telecommuting and have tons of conference calls, many with people for whom English is their second language so they're tough to understand, I get a land line and have Polycom speakerphone with a good speaker and microphone. The voice quality is better than the compressed voice on a cell phone call. When I have one, I don't receive calls on it, the ringer is off, and the voice mail greeting says "Call my cell phone".

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Yes, we have a landline and use it as our primary phone number.

We only use cellphones while traveling. This keeps our cellphone bills very low because we use prepaid Pageplus cellular numbers. It only cost $10/phone good for 120 days (about $2.5/month), and we can rollover the minutes as long we refill before the expiration date.

There are many good reasons to keep the land line.

1. We have cordless phones all around the house. My husband or myself can pick any nearby phone without having to search for the cellphone. Both of us can join the phone conversation.

2. We screen all calls and pick it up only if we see a number which we recognize or after hearing the voice message. Most of the time, spammers or robotcalls just hang up and don't leave a message.

3. The landline phone has much better audio fidelity and does not rely on the strength of a battery or the cellphone reception. The speaker option is also much better than through tiny cellphones.

4. We also use our landline number for faxing through our Canon multi-function printer/copier/scanner/fax machine.

5. Best of all, we got a lifetime deal from Verizon where we actually get $10/month discount from our fios internet bill for keeping the phone option. As long as we use Verizon service, we can port this deal to any new home location. So this looks like we will keep the landline for a long long time.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:20 AM
KCZ

1,678 posts, read 973,403 times
I, and most rural residents, still have landlines due to lousy cell signals and frequent power outages.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,503,450 times
I suppose "yes and no". What used to be our phone company landline, same number is now through the cable and internet provider. We keep it only because we can see the caller ID on the TV and can ignore the telemarketers that don't honor the do-not-call list, surveys, political and charity calls. We don't give out or cell phone numbers to anyone but family and friends, and only answer the landline if we recognize the name or number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or