U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:23 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,132,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
Disclaimer: Im way under retirement age (a millennial, more or less)

Do I have a landline? Yes I do, because its more reliable AND if I needed to call emergency services it is actually easier to locate you with a landline at home.. It is less accurate with a cellular mobile phone, especially if you don't remember where you are. its great to have both for multiple reasons
If you live in an area that has enhanced 911 locating you should present no problem to the call center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,760,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sometimes it's really hard to determine if a poster is a he or a she. In this day and age, even mentioning a husband or wife isn't a guarantee that a poster is the opposite sex. Maybe an indicator, like a blue or pink dot next to one's name would be helpful.
I was thinking that myself. One of the forums I was on used to do that. It's voluntary, but it was helpful in getting a picture of the person posting.

On the other hand, I find that some of my posts carry a lot more weight if people think I'm a he. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. I'm just making an observation.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Had to get rid of the landline and switch to evil cable because every time it rained I would lose service because the phone lines were so ancient and I kept losing my internet connection. I still miss it and actually came home late from work the other night, super tired, and for a split second wanted to see if I had any messages on the answering machine. sigh.
Here, AT&T are no longer replacing old interconnect housings. So many now experience leakage and subsequent corrosion of the contacts. The AT&T dude who jerry rigs these things (typically by moving pairs to a different termination, try again, etc) told us AT&T, although stating "sometime during the 20s" at their end of life for wireline, are in fact dealing it a slow death. I figure most people will get fed up and drop their wireline prior to the actual EOL. Sad.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,746 times
Yes, we still have a landline, but that's not the end of the story, it's the beginning of the the story. Along with the landline comes junk telephone calls. We normally receive 1 to 4 junk calls per day. We used to have the CenturyLink land line service, which included the "No Solicitation" feature, which stops junk telephone calls. You setup a "white list" of telephone numbers that call you. Telephone callers who are not on the "white list' must silently leave a message. When the caller is not on the "white list", the telephone does not even ring. Either the caller silently leaves a message, or the junk caller is stopped. Junk callers almost never try to leave a message.

We switched to the Comcast landline service, Comcast does not have the "No Solicitation" feature, and the junk callers got through and were very annoying. We bought a Digitone Call Blocker, which fixes the problem. Using a "Black List" with the Digitone Call Blocker is useless, since there are so many junk caller numbers and names. The CallerID information is manipulated by the junk callers. There's even one junk caller who even displays my own name, with a phone number that isn't mine. They are probably hoping someone else in the household picks up the telephone, thinking I am calling. When the Digitone Call Blocker is setup in the "White List" mode, all the junk callers are blocked. You can setup 100 phone numbers that ring through, any other callers are blocked, but can silently leave a message.

Here's more information about the Digitone Call Blocker:

Digitone Call Blocker - Block Any Number with Digitone's ProSeries Blocker

I'm going to eliminate most of my landline cost by using an Obihai 202 device and a Google Voice line. The Obihai device allows the Google Voice service to act just line a landline, with a dial tone. Google Voice also has call screening and many other advanced features, which are free. The only cost is $15 a year if you want the 911 identification service, which we will purchase. You can port a cellphone number to Google Voice, but not an existing landline telephone number. However, there's a two step process using a "burner" cellphone to switch an existing landline service to Google Voice.

Here's a YouTube video that explains how to eliminate your landline telephone bill, except for the $15 annual 911 location service fee. There are many other YouTube videos that also explain very clearly how to setup a Google Voice line for your free landline service. The voice quality is supposed to be excellent from the reviews. You can also eliminate possible the electrical power problems by putting your Internet related devices on a UPS unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWCZxFGSSA

Here's the Obihai 202 hardware that's needed (which I bought from Walmart):

https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Port...rds=obihai+202

Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 AM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Yes, we still have a landline, but that's not the end of the story, it's the beginning of the the story. Along with the landline comes junk telephone calls. We normally receive 1 to 4 junk calls per day. We used to have the CenturyLink land line service, which included the "No Solicitation" feature, which stops junk telephone calls. You setup a "white list" of telephone numbers that call you. Telephone callers who are not on the "white list' must silently leave a message. When the caller is not on the "white list", the telephone does not even ring. Either the caller silently leaves a message, or the junk caller is stopped. Junk callers almost never try to leave a message.

We switched to the Comcast landline service, Comcast does not have the "No Solicitation" feature, and the junk callers got through and were very annoying. We bought a Digitone Call Blocker, which fixes the problem. Using a "Black List" with the Digitone Call Blocker is useless, since there are so many junk caller numbers and names. The CallerID information is manipulated by the junk callers. There's even one junk caller who even displays my own name, with a phone number that isn't mine. They are probably hoping someone else in the household picks up the telephone, thinking I am calling. When the Digitone Call Blocker is setup in the "White List" mode, all the junk callers are blocked. You can setup 100 phone numbers that ring through, any other callers are blocked, but can silently leave a message.

Here's more information about the Digitone Call Blocker:

Digitone Call Blocker - Block Any Number with Digitone's ProSeries Blocker

I'm going to eliminate most of my landline cost by using an Obihai 202 device and a Google Voice line. The Obihai device allows the Google Voice service to act just line a landline, with a dial tone. Google Voice also has call screening and many other advanced features, which are free. The only cost is $15 a year if you want the 911 identification service, which we will purchase. You can port a cellphone number to Google Voice, but not an existing landline telephone number. However, there's a two step process using a "burner" cellphone to switch an existing landline service to Google Voice.

Here's a YouTube video that explains how to eliminate your landline telephone bill, except for the $15 annual 911 location service fee. There are many other YouTube videos that also explain very clearly how to setup a Google Voice line for your free landline service. The voice quality is supposed to be excellent from the reviews. You can also eliminate possible the electrical power problems by putting your Internet related devices on a UPS unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWCZxFGSSA

Here's the Obihai 202 hardware that's needed (which I bought from Walmart):

https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Port...rds=obihai+202
Basically less reliable than just having a mobile phone. No power, no phone service.
Nice infomercial.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Basically less reliable than just having a mobile phone. No power, no phone service.
Nice infomercial.
A landline still has a purpose in my opinion. There are times when the cellphone is left in a different area of the house. If you have a large house, you might not be able to hear the cellphone ringing from a different part of your house, unless you constantly carry the cellphone with you as you move around the house. Your cellphone might not work if there is an event that causes all the available connections to your local cellphone towers to be fully occupied. Your cellphone's battery could be dead, in need to a charge, which could prevent the cellphone from functioning. Your cellphone could be in a dead spot if your cellphone service does not have strong coverage in all areas of your house. The 911 location services with your cellphone might not get the emergency services close enough to your house, which could delay the emergency service response time. You might be busy using your cellphone for another task, such as watching YouTube videos, and it might be more convenient to use a landline at the time, while someone else continues to use your cellphone to watch the video.

You can usually still have Internet and telephone service if there is an electrical outage, unless the electrical outage is wider, causing the Internet service to be down. Simply connect a UPS device to the telephone sets, cable or DSL modem, router, and any other Internet related devices. For longer electrical power outages, a generator could be used to keep the power running. We have a portable gasoline generator, but plan to buy an automatic, whole house electric generator for our future Florida house.

Another option is to buy a device that allows you to connect your cellphone to your home telephone sets when you are at your home.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:31 AM

159 posts, read 112,261 times
Default You might like this option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Had to get rid of the landline and switch to evil cable because every time it rained I would lose service because the phone lines were so ancient and I kept losing my internet connection. I still miss it and actually came home late from work the other night, super tired, and for a split second wanted to see if I had any messages on the answering machine. sigh.
We use Ooma to replace our landline because we like having multiple phones throughout the house. It connects to your existing phone set and uses the Internet. Can port over your existing home number if you like, has call blocking, sends missed calls and messages to you by email at your option. So you can still have that old fashioned answering machine and new technology. And you can also connect you cell phone to your handsets throughout the house if you want that number to ring on your home phones.

You only pay about $2.00 a month which are the federal taxes and we upgraded to Premier plan to add a second number. My mother who is 85 refuses to pay for long distance fees on her land line so I could add a number to my Ooma that was in her area code. We pay $4 a month.

Ooma has recently added some home security options that have gotten great reviews too. Motion sensors, door and window sensors, and a water sensor. We might be adding that soon for when we travel. No monthly monitoring fees.

- HR

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
davephan, I'm not understanding your problem with xFinity/Comcast landline. I can easily tell by looking at Caller ID whether it is a person I know or want to talk to, and also if I think it's a telemarketer, I just do NOT pickup the phone call.

You're under no obligation to pick up the phone every time it rings.

If there's a question about any call, one can also put the phone number into google.com and usually get an idea if it's a telemarketer or not, or an individual.

xFinity/Comcast has a feature where you enter any number from whom you wish to receive NO calls; one can do it manually at their website, or do it on the phone. This eliminates a telemarketer from calling you again because it stops all calls from them.

Also going to the national (and local) website for 'Do Not Call' and signing up eliminates a lot of telemarketer calls. (I know it doesn't eliminate all of them including some political calls)

Why just NOT pick up calls that are suspect, by looking at your Caller ID? Let them go to voicemail. Often telemarketers do not leave a message. And put their number into google.com, if you wish, to see what it is.

(I have an xFinity/Comcast landline too)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-26-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
davephan, I'm not understanding your problem with xFinity/Comcast landline. I can easily tell by looking at Caller ID whether it is a person I know or want to talk to, and also if I think it's a telemarketer, I just do NOT pickup the phone call.

You're under no obligation to pick up the phone every time it rings.

If there's a question about any call, one can also put the phone number into google.com and usually get an idea if it's a telemarketer or not, or an individual.

xFinity/Comcast has a feature where you enter any number from whom you wish to receive NO calls; one can do it manually at their website, or do it on the phone. This eliminates a telemarketer from calling you again because it stops all calls from them.

Also going to the national (and local) website for 'Do Not Call' and signing up eliminates a lot of telemarketer calls. (I know it doesn't eliminate all of them including some political calls)

Why just NOT pick up calls that are suspect, by looking at your Caller ID? Let them go to voicemail. Often telemarketers do not leave a message. And put their number into google.com, if you wish, to see what it is.

(I have an xFinity/Comcast landline too)
You missed my point, or I didn't make my point clear enough. When a junk caller calls me, I do not want to interrupt what I am doing to look at the caller ID display to find out it is a junk caller, then not answer the call. I want the telephone to not ring when the junk caller calls me. Then when the junk caller calls me, the telephone is silent, it does not ring, and I do not waste my time looking at the caller ID display. When the telephone rings, I know that the call has already been screened, and it is a telephone number that has been approved to call me, a number on my "white list".

CenturyLink has that feature built in to their product. Comcast representatives don't seem to understand at all. They think you should have to look at the display every time the telephone rings. It's better to stop the telephone from ringing when there is a junk caller. The junk callers almost never leave a message. One or two times, the junk callers actually left a message. But over the course of a year, we have hundreds of junk callers who are screened out, which I can see by periodically scrolling through the caller ID screen.

Assigning specific numbers or names to be rejected is not effective for blocking junk callers. That's called using a "black list". There are too many numbers and names to reject. Each time a junk caller calls you, they could be displaying a different telephone number. It's more effective to use a "white list", the numbers you program that are authorized to be able to ring your telephones. All others that are not authorized, must leave a message.

We signed up on the national Do Not Call list decades ago. That doesn't help at all.

There was a guy that lived in the Minneapolis area that made a career of suing telemarketers. That guy had 3 or 4 phone lines, each with two telephone numbers. He entered all the telephone numbers in contests to get them out in the wild, so that telemarketers would be more likely to call. He put all the numbers on the Do Not Call list. He then recorded the calls from telemarketers, which is legal to do in Minnesota, with only 1 party knowing the call is recorded. He sent the telemarketing a packet with the lawsuit and copy of the recording. The guy was interviewed on two different local TV stations about what he was doing. The TV stations also interviewed telemarketing companies, that hated him. That guy made about $100K a year for five years, a total of about $500K, until a telemarketing company somehow won the lawsuit. His average "take" was about $1,500 per telemarketer. If the telemarketer swore at him, he liked that because he was able to collect more damages. If the telemarketers couldn't afford to pay, he put them on installments. That was the guy's only job besides selling a small book teaching people exactly how to do it. I was going to buy the book, but didn't buy it. He lived in an apartment with a cat, and took trips to Las Vegas several times a year. I agreed with what he was doing. The telemarketers are low-life scum that deserve to be sued.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
davephan, You seem to be making it unnecessarily hard on yourself by not wanting to look at Caller ID at any time (even when you're not busy) when the phone rings.

You also are not obligated to pick up the phone every time it rings!

If you do pick up the phone for a call from a telemarketer, you can also ask (and demand) that they remove your name and number from their datafile and list. (you'll probably say that does not work, but it does work sometimes, often even.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or