U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 PM

15,858 posts, read 15,088,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
davephan, You seem to be making it unnecessarily hard on yourself by not wanting to look at Caller ID at any time (even when you're not busy) when the phone rings.

You also are not obligated to pick up the phone every time it rings!
No, but one does initially think that it might be a personal call. And the junk calls seem to be increasing. Recently I was home one day from work, and out of about 16 calls, 14 were robocalls or telemarketers. It's annoying to even listen to the phone ring that many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,471,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

No, but one does initially think that it might be a personal call. And the junk calls seem to be increasing. Recently I was home one day from work, and out of about 16 calls, 14 were robocalls or telemarketers. It's annoying to even listen to the phone ring that many times.
Have you registered your phone number at the 'Do Not Call Registry' below?

It does work to eliminate many telemarketer calls. It has eliminated almost all calls for me, and for others I have talked to. (you'll still get a very few) Not registering just because someone says they're still receiving some calls, does not make sense. I have been registered for years, as have others - all who it works very well for.

https://www.donotcall.gov

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

National Do Not Call Registry
https://www.donotcall.gov/
The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls. You can register your home landline or mobile phone for free.

National Do Not Call Registry | Consumer Information
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry

Add your phone number for free by visiting donotcall.gov, or calling 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). If you register online, you will receive a confirmation email from donotcall.gov. You must click on the link in the email within 72 hours to complete your registration.

You should also ask (or demand), if you pick up a telemarketer phone call and speak to the telemarketer, that they remove you from their datafile and lists.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-26-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 PM

7,340 posts, read 4,201,142 times
Quote:
If you do pick up the phone for a call from a telemarketer, you can also ask (and demand) that they remove your name and number from their datafile and list. (you'll probably say that does not work, but it does work sometimes, often even.)
When I had a landline that was exactly what I would do with every call. The last two landlines I had before I retired hardly ever got telemarketer calls. It's well known that telemarketers have a "sucker" list that they rely on heavily. I have to wonder if they also have a "don't waste your time" list.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,540,025 times
Quote:
Exactly right! You shouldn't have to hear the telephone ring when it is a junk caller! You pay for the telephone line, although with Google Voice, it's almost free. There's no reason that you should allow junk callers to invade your privacy. If you screen out the junk callers using a "white list", every time the telephone rings, you can just answer the telephone, knowing it is someone that has a telephone number that has been approved to be able to ring your telephone, never a junk caller.

We had the CenturyLink telephone service with the "No Solicitation" feature. You setup a "White List" of up to 25 telephone numbers that can ring through. Other callers receive a message telling the caller to press 1 if they are are not a telemarketer. Before we got the CenturyLink service, we averaged 2 - 3 junk callers per night. The first night after turning on the "No Solicitation" feature and programming the 25 telephone numbers on the "White List", the number of junk callers that rang our telephone at night dropped to zero. For the next 3 years, zero junk callers rang our telephone.

When we switched to the Comcast telephone service, after 3 years with zero junk callers, we started getting the junk callers ringing our telephones at night again. This was highly annoying! Then I bought the Digitone Call Blocker and tried to block every junk caller using a "Black List". That was not effective because there were too many numbers and names to block. It's like the wack a hole game. Then I setup a "White List" with the Digitone Call Blocker, which can be programmed for up to 100 numbers in the "White List". Then the junk callers stopped. No more junk callers ringing our telephone ever. It's been over 6 months using the Digitone Call Blocker "White List", so far, zero junk callers have been able to ring our telephone. When the telephone rings, we never have to look at the caller ID, it's always someone we want to talk to, never, ever a junk caller.

The combination of Google Voice and the Obihai 202 will give me two landline phone lines for almost free. One phone line I'll pay $15 a year for the 911 location service, and use it for a replacement landline. I'll then cancel my Comcast telephone service and just have Comcast cable TV and 100 meg Internet. The second line, I'll use for faxing and the security system. If I have trouble with junk callers ringing my telephones using Google Voice, I'll just screen the calls with the Digitone Call Blocker I already own.

There's no reason you should ever have to put up with junk callers making your telephones ring!

It's all about eliminating annoyances from your life. We never watch TV live, it's always recorded. That way we skip the commercials. We've been skipping commercials for ten years. Other people suffer, and put up with the commercials, and think it's "normal" to have to watch TV commercials. It's the same principle. The technology is available to eliminate those annoyances in life.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 AM

15,858 posts, read 15,088,758 times
Quote:
Have you registered your phone number at the 'Do Not Call Registry' below?
Yes, I have. First signed up for it over a decade ago, it seems. And every once in awhile I will register the phone number from another annoying call. But a lot of these calls, according to caller ID, are relatively new. Some are obvious robocalls - you can see the long number. So frustrating.

Quote:
You should also ask (or demand), if you pick up a telemarketer phone call and speak to the telemarketer, that they remove you from their datafile and lists.
Good point, but very time consuming, unfortunately. And it's sort of like, one down, a hundred more to go. (Not too different than receiving junk mail.)

I have to laugh about this man's approach, below. (He also has the time to do this.)

“My attitude is if they’re calling up to waste my time, I’ll waste theirs,” Ralston said. “Maybe I’m not a very good Christian with that attitude, but fair is fair.”

Don’t answer that robocall: Why having a landline phone leaves callers open to fraud – Orange County Register

Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM

2,573 posts, read 822,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Here, AT&T are no longer replacing old interconnect housings. So many now experience leakage and subsequent corrosion of the contacts. The AT&T dude who jerry rigs these things (typically by moving pairs to a different termination, try again, etc) told us AT&T, although stating "sometime during the 20s" at their end of life for wireline, are in fact dealing it a slow death. I figure most people will get fed up and drop their wireline prior to the actual EOL. Sad.
HA. It was ATT I got rid of!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,046,189 times
One annoying thing I have noticed recently - businesses I want to talk to will block calls or use the "Toll Free" or other services that look like robocalls on Caller ID. This has become a problem with the Equifax thing. Even the sheriff's department called back from a blocked line when I wanted to report a theft of my credit card number.
I get lots of robocalls on Century Link and they do not let you block them here. The Do Not Call list does not work to stop them. Now I feel like I have to answer all of them in case my bank is calling. The bank doesn't identify themselves either.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM

14,061 posts, read 7,496,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
There's no reason you should ever have to put up with junk callers making your telephones ring!

When I'm telecommuting, I get a landline for conference calls since the audio quality is much better than my cell phone. I turn the ringer off on the phone. I set the voicemail greeting to "This is Geoff. The ringer is off on this phone. Call my cell phone."

Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,471,587 times
Quote:

Good point, but very time consuming, unfortunately. And it's sort of like, one down, a hundred more to go. (Not too different than receiving junk mail.)

[/url]
It's not time-consuming at all. If you happen to pick up the phone with a telemarketer call (a person), just interrupt them immediately and say strongly 'You need to take my name and number off your lists'. Done. They will say they are removing it. And they do.

It take 5 seconds.

It's your choice to help yourself rather than just complaining. (I'm not suggesting that you call them, I'm suggesting that you ask to be removed if you happen to pick up a phone call from a telemarketer)

As for the 'Do Not Call Registry', you should maybe register your own phone number(s) again - since you said you did years ago - register again or check it online at their website to make sure you're still registered. (people change personal phone numbers and phones)

****I was NOT suggesting that you take any time to register complaints & telemarketer phone numbers with the FTC government agency.**** (I do not do that)

Also some phone service providers have a feature where you enter any phone number for which you do not want to receive calls from. It blocks the callers. It sounds like you are getting repeat calls over and over.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-27-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM

14,299 posts, read 45,039,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I had a landline that was exactly what I would do with every call. The last two landlines I had before I retired hardly ever got telemarketer calls. It's well known that telemarketers have a "sucker" list that they rely on heavily. I have to wonder if they also have a "don't waste your time" list.
This is why I would never buy *anything* from a telemarketer. This "sucker" list has essentially caused them to foul their own nest, so to speak. So even if offered a good deal on something I actually can use (let's just assume that actually happens occasionally) - I won't buy it.

"No, not interested, put me on your 'do not call' list, goodbye - click"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or