U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
One annoying thing I have noticed recently - businesses I want to talk to will block calls or use the "Toll Free" or other services that look like robocalls on Caller ID. This has become a problem with the Equifax thing. Even the sheriff's department called back from a blocked line when I wanted to report a theft of my credit card number.
I get lots of robocalls on Century Link and they do not let you block them here. The Do Not Call list does not work to stop them. Now I feel like I have to answer all of them in case my bank is calling. The bank doesn't identify themselves either.
If I ever got a call from someone claiming to be my bank, I would independently look up the telephone number and call them back. It could be the bank calling, or it could be a scammer claiming to be the bank! You have to be the originator of the phone call when you're talking to your bank, and you can't call the phone number that an incoming call tells you to call, without independently looking up the telephone number!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 AM

15,763 posts, read 14,998,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's not time-consuming at all. If you happen to pick up the phone with a telemarketer call (a person), just interrupt them immediately and say strongly 'You need to take my name and number off your lists'. Done. They will say they are removing it. And they do.
I appreciate your suggestions. Sometime soon I hope to muster the patience to try to do this.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 PM

5,432 posts, read 2,759,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

There was a guy that lived in the Minneapolis area that made a career of suing telemarketers. That guy had 3 or 4 phone lines, each with two telephone numbers. He entered all the telephone numbers in contests to get them out in the wild, so that telemarketers would be more likely to call. He put all the numbers on the Do Not Call list. He then recorded the calls from telemarketers, which is legal to do in Minnesota, with only 1 party knowing the call is recorded. He sent the telemarketing a packet with the lawsuit and copy of the recording. The guy was interviewed on two different local TV stations about what he was doing. The TV stations also interviewed telemarketing companies, that hated him. That guy made about $100K a year for five years, a total of about $500K, until a telemarketing company somehow won the lawsuit. His average "take" was about $1,500 per telemarketer. If the telemarketer swore at him, he liked that because he was able to collect more damages. If the telemarketers couldn't afford to pay, he put them on installments. That was the guy's only job besides selling a small book teaching people exactly how to do it. I was going to buy the book, but didn't buy it. He lived in an apartment with a cat, and took trips to Las Vegas several times a year. I agreed with what he was doing. The telemarketers are low-life scum that deserve to be sued.
There are lawyers that make a living out of suing telemarketers and others that call people on a regular basis. I trained as a debt collector (for all of two weeks) and we had to memorize the limitations and conditions under which we could make a call for each state. Most of the states have laws on how many calls can be made, at what time they can be made, who the debt collectors can talk to, etc. Break those laws and the company making the phone call can be sued. It's actually supposed to be easy money, so I don't know why more people don't sue.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM

30,324 posts, read 27,784,053 times
I continue to have a landline for many of the same reasons that most others do. However I also have two cell phones as well. The cell phones are used when my wife or I are away from the house and we need to get ahold of one another or for emergencies. The cost is very cheap because we have pre-pay accounts on each of them that cover a full year of service. No contract and we bought low priced smartphones to use.

Our home landline phone is great and we have extensions in several rooms. The safety of a hardwired phone insures that emergency communications will be available for in or outgoing calls. Cell phones don’t always have cell signals or have a battery power for a call when needed. Landlines have better quality of clear non-distorted calls. Cell phones drop calls and don’t have signals all the time or the battery is dead.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I continue to have a landline for many of the same reasons that most others do. However I also have two cell phones as well. The cell phones are used when my wife or I are away from the house and we need to get ahold of one another or for emergencies. The cost is very cheap because we have pre-pay accounts on each of them that cover a full year of service. No contract and we bought low priced smartphones to use.

Our home landline phone is great and we have extensions in several rooms. The safety of a hardwired phone insures that emergency communications will be available for in or outgoing calls. Cell phones don’t always have cell signals or have a battery power for a call when needed. Landlines have better quality of clear non-distorted calls. Cell phones drop calls and don’t have signals all the time or the battery is dead.
We had cheap flip cellphones for many years using the one year T-Mobile prepaid service. We upgraded several years ago to iPhone 6 Plus cellphones sharing a family plan to save money. The family plan isn’t as cheap as the old one year prepaid plan, but we use the cellphones a lot more. More recently, we upgraded from the T-Mobile family plan to a Verizon family plan. The cost is a little more, but we found that the Verizon coverage is a lot better than T-Mobile in Florida. We plan to spend a lot more time in Florida in the near future. About 95% of the time, maybe more, I use the iPhone 6 for listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos, and some surfing the web, very little time using the iPhone 6 Plus as a telephone. We have the “unlimited” Verizon family plan.

We still use the landline a lot. I bought the Obihai 202 several weeks ago, but I haven’t had the time to set it up with two Google Voice lines. We’ll test the free Google Voice landline service for awhile. Hopefully, we can drop the Comcast landline service.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:44 AM

15,763 posts, read 14,998,967 times
Anyone have a problem like this w/ their landline? (I posted this on another thread about scam calls; no word.)

Received 6 calls yesterday, from the same number, with a message about the Cloud and "your Apple device." (We don't have an Apple device.) After deleting the six messages and calling the number last night, I reached an Apple store in the greater L.A. area with a message saying how sorry they were if we were contacting them about unwanted calls from their store.

I entered the number on the DoNotCall Registry. Got two more calls this morning before work.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:11 AM

Since we started using the Digitone Call Blocker Pro (costs about $100), and set up a “white list”, we still get the junk calls, usually 1 to 3 a day, but they do not ring the telephone at all. The junk callers could leave a message, but that only happened a couple of times. Normally junk callers never leave messages. I only see the junk calls in the Caller ID log. If the same junk caller used the same phone number, that number can be blocked. If the junk caller number is blocked, the Digitone Call Blocker silently answers the junk caller, then hangs up on them, then the junk caller can’t even leave a message, and you never hear the telephone ring for that junk caller.

The only time you hear the telephone ring, you know that it’s someone on your “white list” that you want to talk to. The “black list” is ineffective, since the junk callers can constantly change the Caller ID information on each call, or there are too many unique junk callers. It’s like “wack a mole” if you try to use a “black list” blocking specific phone numbers or names. But in your case, if that junk caller that keeps leaving messages, used either the same phone number or name, after they are blocked, they could never leave another message. So, your annoying junk caller problems could have been prevented if you owned the Digitone Call Blocker Pro. The Do Not Call List is generally worthless, since junk callers seem to ignore the Do Not Call List.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Before we moved I always had a landline and it was a real landline, never went down. Now that we have moved there is no way to get a landline that really is one, it is simply a cell phone that is attached my wire to the house,meaning it goes out of the house and the signal is then bounced off the nearest cell tower.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,812,751 times
Gave it up years ago, we rely on cell, my wife has hers and I have mine.
Starting the first of the year, we’re canceling Dishnet, and using our smartphones for internet.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 AM

566 posts, read 248,379 times
No point in having one anymore, at least in areas with good cell and internet coverage. I have had Magic Jack for years, and since it now supports faxing (yes, still prefer to do that for some documents as email is not that secure), it's a perfect compliment for a cell phone. Plus, the MJ is completely portable, number never changes no matter where you may relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or