U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:41 AM

7,301 posts, read 15,353,559 times

Advertisements

We kept ours because it was so much clearer than the cellphones and both of my husband's parents had so much trouble understanding us over the cell phones. Now that his parents are gone, the basic reason we keep the line is that it is such a hassle to change a phone line, as we discovered when we last moved. On the other hand, even with the most basic landline service we are paying more than it is worth

Like someone else above, I have Centurylink and they don't allow the use of any of the robocall blockers, which is annoying. The Verizon cell phones are much better about blocking spam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,533,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
We kept ours because it was so much clearer than the cellphones and both of my husband's parents had so much trouble understanding us over the cell phones. Now that his parents are gone, the basic reason we keep the line is that it is such a hassle to change a phone line, as we discovered when we last moved. On the other hand, even with the most basic landline service we are paying more than it is worth

Like someone else above, I have Centurylink and they don't allow the use of any of the robocall blockers, which is annoying. The Verizon cell phones are much better about blocking spam.
CenturyLink has a feature called “No Solicitation” which you can turn on to block all callers on you 25 number “white list”. When the Robo caller calls you, your telephones do not ring. The Robo caller will hear a message that you do not accept telemarketing calls, and to hang up. Otherwise, press “1” to ring through. The Robo caller is a machine, and will not hear that outgoing message. The Robo caller won’t press “1” to ring through, and will be silently screened out. Check to make sure that CenturyLink offers the “No Solicitation” feature in your area.

If CenturyLink doesn’t have the “No Solicitation” feature in your area, you can buy a Digitone Call Blocker Pro for about $100. A “white list” can be setup on the Digitone Call Blocker Pro. Since the Robo caller won’t be on your “white list”, the Robo caller will be silently given the chance to leave a message, and your telephones will not ring when the Robo caller calls you. Almost no junk callers leave messages. If they do leave a message, you can block that phone number and/or name, so they can’t ever call you or leave a message in the future. If the Rocaller changes their Caller ID information, attempting to block the junk caller that leaves a message will not be effective, but at least the junk caller can’t ring your telephones.

Another option is to buy an Obihai 200 or 202, set it up with a free Google Voice telephone, then your monthly cost will be zero, after you buy the Obihai device. Both Obihai devices are less than $100. Google Voice includes call blocking services for free.

The main point is that you do not have to suffer with the repeated annoyance of junk callers. The junk callers can be silently screened out. After that point, when you hear your telephone ring, it won’t ever be a junk caller that is able to ring your telephone! It’s not free to eliminate junk callers from your life, but it’s pretty inexpensive. Most people just live with, and put up with the junk callers. We’ve been screening out junk callers for many years from ringing our landline.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:53 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,785,425 times
Now if somebody could just tell me how to block ads on my smart phone I would be DELIGHTED!! I'm quite angry at USCellular for letting this happen. But I doubt they care.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,895,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Now if somebody could just tell me how to block ads on my smart phone I would be DELIGHTED!! I'm quite angry at USCellular for letting this happen. But I doubt they care.
Most of the ads have nothing to do with the carrier. They come from your operating system, like Google.
We have to keep the landline for my SO's pacemaker to call home every night. On the renewal of her battery in 5 years it will be upgraded to cellular service and we will drop the POTS.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM

7,301 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Ads within apps or ads on the phone? My Samsung suddenly started showing ads on power up and it turned out to be one of the apps had gone to the dark side and had to be deleted off the phone and then the ads went away. (It was a smart remote app that came bundled on the phone.)

Ads within apps - unless I really really want an app, I don't put up with intrusive ads. Ads that run while the app is loading - eh, okay, as long as they aren't too obnoxious, ads once the app starts, NO.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Xfinity-Comcast's call blocker works really well on my landline.

One can block all unwanted callers and phone numbers using Xfinity-Comcast's online call blocking feature at Comcast.com.

Or one can press *60 and insert the unwanted phone number to be blocked.

And you never hear from the caller again.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-09-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Xfinity-Comcast's call blocker works really well on my landline.

One can block all unwanted callers and phone numbers using Xfinity-Comcast's online call blocking feature at Comcast.com.

Or one can press *60 and insert the unwanted phone number to be blocked.

And you never hear from the caller again.
That’s a “black list” which is generally ineffective. The problem is there are too many junk callers, and/or the junk callers keep changing the Caller ID information they present to you each time they call. If you only receive a very limited number of junk caller that do not change their Caller ID information, then a “black list” would work. Otherwise, it’s like wack a mole. More and more different junk callers continue to call, or the same junk callers who dynamically change their Caller ID information every time they call anyone.

We have a Comcast landline, and I don’t think that they offer a “white list” that you can set up. The Digitone Call Blocker Pro allows me to set up the “white list”. Any phone number that’s not on the “white list” cannot ring my telephone and can only silently leave a message.

I think I’ll also be able to set up a “white list” with the Obihai hardware and the free Google Voice telephone line. If that works out, I’ll drop my Comcast landline and switch to the free Google Voice telephone service.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 PM

30,684 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I get scam calls all the time on my cellphone. They are mostly 'extended warranty' plans for my vehicles, Disability claims and cruise ship coupons. All from different phone numbers. If I get 10 calls a week they will be from 10 different numbers.

We had a landline, but the static noise was too loud. So we shifted to using cellphones.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:36 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Not since around 2007 probably. Once I realized it didn't make sense to pay for both - when the cell providers started including unlimited calls and texts. At first, it could be inconvenient because some businesses wanted a landline to think you were legitimate.

If there is good cell phone coverage where you live, I don't think it's worth keeping. But, there are still plenty of homes with bad cell coverage where it still makes sense to keep the landline.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I get scam calls all the time on my cellphone. They are mostly 'extended warranty' plans for my vehicles, Disability claims and cruise ship coupons. All from different phone numbers. If I get 10 calls a week they will be from 10 different numbers.

We had a landline, but the static noise was too loud. So we shifted to using cellphones.
Do you have an iPhone? There's an option on an iPhone called "Do Not Disturb". You can turn on "Do Not Disturb" by clicking on "Settings", then "Do Not Disturb". Within "Do Not Disturb" you can restrict the hours that cellphone is on the "Do Not Disturb" mode. You can also limit the incoming calls to only your "Favorites" or other groups. I haven't ever tried to the "Do Not Disturb" feature on an iPhone, but it sounds like it's a solution for you to stop those annoying junk calls on your cellphone, if you have an iPhone. I don't know what happens to the junk callers. I assume that you don't even hear it ring when the junk callers try to call you. I don't know if they are given the option to leave you a message or not. I don't know if the Android also has a "Do Not Disturb" feature.

I think I'll experiment with the "Do Not Disturb" feature on my iPhone. I just discovered that option tonight.

Another possible way to stop junk callers from calling your cellphone would be restricting calls from only your landline. Then use Google Voice for your landline and forward only the pre-screened calls from your Google Voice number to your cellphone. It should be possible to stop those annoying junk calls on your cellphone. If you have an old flip cellphone, maybe there's no way to stop the junk calls.

Maybe an Android cellphone user can respond if there are ways to screen junk callers from Android cellphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or