U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:40 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,461,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Did some checking. Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) is offering TV, Internet, and home phone line for about $100 per month. Doing just TV and Internet alone comes within $1.00 (yes, one dollar) of doing all 3 so I might just keep my land line and my present cell phone when I switch to Spectrum.
That is a very good deal! Especially compared to the same offered by xFinity-Comcast. I would definitely keep the landline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,010,826 times
I would LIKE to have a landline - but cannot afford it. $75 a month where I live - and my cell phone with unlimited data and minutes costs $40 a month.

I am moving to an OOMA phone - as soon as I can find it. It and the handsets came months apart (handsets were on back order) and now I don't know where either of them are.

And those cable/internet/phone packages? That is not a landline. That's an internet phone service you get with that. Why would anyone pay those ridiculous fees when you could get internet service yourself for anywhere from about $20 a month down to just the taxes (which is how an OOMA phone works)?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
Quote:
Did some checking. Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) is offering TV, Internet, and home phone line for about $100 per month. Doing just TV and Internet alone comes within $1.00 (yes, one dollar) of doing all 3 so I might just keep my land line and my present cell phone when I switch to Spectrum.
UPDATE

I ordered up Spectrum Triple Play (cable 125 channels, land line, internet up to 100mbs) for two TV's, DVR, HD, and a WiFi modem. No installation charge. One year commitment at $106 per month. This will be about $60 per month less then I am presently paying.

Cable and Internet alone would have been almost the same so I get the phone literally for free. Will keep my present cell phone from Tracfone.

Spectrum will reimburse any early termination charge up to $500. You pay the termination bill and send them a copy of it for the reimbursement. In my case it will be about $400 from Dish TV. No early termination from Internet/phone provider (Windstream).

One year from now I will go "shopping" again if I have to.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM

144 posts, read 64,431 times
You sound like a smart techie. If you are into VOIP, have you tried google voice, through simonics with your own ATA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
Still have the landline phone here, but it's VOIP and really cheap. Mostly hanging on to the phone number that "everybody has."

There's lots of cool tech out there to manage this, but frankly, we don't use the phone much so it's hard to make it a priority. My cell phone can tap into the home VOIP connection (cell is actually an extension of the home phone in the VOIP world, but still has all the cell capabilities -- VOIP is just an app). You can route stuff -- if a call comes from my elderly Dad's phone number, it will ring the house line for 20 seconds and then route to my cell phone. Routine spammers get routed to a SIT error message that says the number has been disconnected.

Problem is, this is more like a hobby. I spend more time on the tech part of avoiding BS phone calls than I ever spent on the phone.

-old school nerd....

Old 11-20-2017, 12:27 PM

14,272 posts, read 44,987,205 times
Quote:
I am a widower and intend on staying single. To make life easier, I have decided to get rid of my landline. Will not be doing it tomorrow as I have phone, internet, TV package I am committed to for a few more months.

My cell phone is a TracFone and while it has been good for my usage, their plans are not aimed at heavy usage so I will have to shop for a new cell phone provider. A friend uses Virgin Mobile and for about $30 a month gets unlimited phone, unlimited text, unlimited data but the data slows after so much usage. Data is not a big issue with me so I am leaning toward Virgin Mobile. Any other suggestions?
Cross-shop Consumer Cellular, I have had them for years and am quite satisfied. No contract.

Your first two sentences are a bit of a non-sequitur to me though - you would keep the land line if you intended to re-marry? If it's redundant to your cell phone, OK.

If you want to stay with that "bundle" provider, you may find it's actually cheaper to keep the land line (What you have is not really a copper wire land line, you probably already knew that.) (never mind, I see you posted up again and are getting the phone for free, which is what I would have expected)

Old 11-20-2017, 01:20 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,840,802 times
When we moved to SC back in 2008 I first went down by myself. Decided we didn't want 2 phone bills so I just used my cell. I got so used to just it that when DH moved down we just stayed with our cells. He has one through work. In 2015 we moved to DE and did the same. We never miss the landline, but then DH phone is paid by work and I have mine on our DD's account so it only costs me $30/mo plus the $10/mo that I'm paying for my new phone and that will go away in another year. I probably won't be getting a new one unless this totally dies. Our security system is based on wireless connection so don't need a LL for that. Once he is totally retired from his job we will probably just hook him with DD's account or just get him something like a Tracfone.

For those who like the convenience of the landline type phone, there are phone units out there that can hook to your cell using bluetooth. Looks and works just like the landline phones but through your cell. I believe VTech has some.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
I confess I have not read any of this long thread. But yes, I do still have a land line and probably always will. To me, the redundancy is well worth the cost. If there is some problem with the cell phone, or with the land line, I can still make and receive calls using the other. The idea of being able to summon emergency help at any time is of high value to me.

For example, sometimes I don't keep track of the status of my cell phone battery and when I go to use it, the battery is completely dead. This is what I mean by redundancy. I suppose if I didn't have a land line, I would pay closer attention to the status of the cell phone battery, and I suppose that's what you folks do who do not have a land line. Besides, I get my internet connectivity through my land line and I would have to make other arrangements if I got rid of it.

I admit it's becoming increasingly common for people to give up their land lines. Lots of friends and relatives I know have done just that. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to stick with the tried-and-true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or