U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 764,839 times

Advertisements

I have a landline and that's the number I give out or use on any forms. Don't want to receive too many calls on my cell.

The thing is, my landline service is free. I have 2 cells, one is free and the other is my family plan and that's 50% off. If my landline wasn't free I probably wouldn't keep it. But again, I like keeping my cell solely for friends and family.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 AM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
when I bought my house, I had a phone jack in every room. The house had to be rewired after a fire and the phone lines were not replaced. I didn't discover this until I moved back in.

I only have a landline. It is connected to my wifi somehow. It has a battery in case the electricity goes off but I have never had the power go off without wifi going off too, so all the battery does it keep the lights flashing on the modem (router?)

I am in a rural area controlled by a small company. Long distance charges outside of two counties. I can't talk "free" to friends living less than 25 miles away. I don't care for cell phones in general, but I feel like I may be forced into using one.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM

9,893 posts, read 3,269,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Had one until our move to FL in 2014, when we decided to forgo it and see if that worked for us. It does. Though we do have a landline at our home in Mexico, simply because we had to get one to get our internet.

We have 13 nieces and nephews (the youngest are juniors in college) and not one of them has ever had a landline in their name.
we dropped the proper landline but have a voip service that mimics a household phone and uses the old number. We like having a family line and a single number that people can call to get anyone of us...

plus it means my "global" buddies can call without getting hit with cell phone rates or need to use some odd method.

having said that my cell now calls most major locations around the world for maybe a couple of bucks an hour...

Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,753,854 times
Haven't had a landline since at least 2010...maybe longer. Don't miss it. No one called on it except spammers.

We live in a house built in 1942 and Time Warner actually removed a great deal of phone wiring in our basement because there was piles of it! We had no interest in a landline. SO they took it. I said goodbye and good riddance to it. Once less thing to deal with.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM

2,498 posts, read 6,388,109 times
Land Line Yes Dial Up $90 per year 99 Tacoma SR5 207,000 miles,enjoy very much.Do not like electronic's.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM

284 posts, read 138,476 times
We live out in the country and on a good day my cell has 1 bar. So we still have a landline. Actually a VOIP phone because we switched from our local phone company as an internet provider.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Not now but I miss having one. Cell service in this rental is horrible: lots of dropped calls, barely discernable words, Verizon CUTS into calls and drops them to send their own message (bet they do this on purpose), spotty reception in the whole region, voice msgs seem to be held for a long time before appearing (like a day later).

There is a phone jack and the landlord says a line can be activated for not much of a monthly charge. We are considering going this way. Then my cell phone can return to being used only when away from home.

When I was homebound during the 99-year snowstorm in CO, power went out. I could still use the cheapie landline phone for most of that period.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM

364 posts, read 552,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
8) our plan is as updated as it's going to be with Verizon. AGAIN I'd have to PAY EXTRA for caller I'd on my cell...its INCLUDED in my 'LL. For $10 I pay for the 'LL I think that's a bargain. NEITHER IS GOOD at telling me WHO belongs to a cell phone Number!!!
I don't know what kind of cell phone you have with Verizon, but I've never heard of one that doesn't automatically tell you the number calling as part of the basic service. I've got a cheap, pay as you go, plan from PagePlus (carried on the Verizon system) and the number calling shows and if it is on my contacts list, the name (and photo) of the caller pops up on my screen as well.

We dropped our landline because it was becoming more and more expensive, and we need cell phones for emergencies so why pay for both. We also got too many junk calls on the landline; including bill collectors trying to find my ne're do well brother. We have an uncommon last name so we were always getting his calls. We get junk calls on the cells, but they're fewer and randomly generated it seems. (They all seem to spoof local numbers these days so I don't answer unless I recognize it.)

Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 AM

544 posts, read 307,193 times
It's much easier to give it up when you move and change numbers anyway, than if you are in a home where you've had the same phone number for years.

Only time I thought a landline would be handy was during the recent hurricane. I worried if we lost cell service and electricity, we'd have no way to contact anyone. But when I talked to people in my neighborhood who did have a landline, they said because it was newly built, it was all fiber optics running the phones to the area, and if power was out they'd be dead anyway. There went the only good reason to consider a landline!

Note, there are home alarm systems that do not require a landline. And those that do will be dying a slow death.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 AM

3,872 posts, read 1,644,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We still have a landline because it gives maximum flexibility for talking on the phone in our house. We have 7 phones on 3 levels. When the phone rings, we're usually within 20 feet of a phone. Furthermore, 4 of 7 are wireless receivers.

My wife never got used to using a cell phone and she'd never carry it in her pocket among 3 floors. Her cell phone is on a Tracfone account and it costs only about $95 per year. She uses it very infrequently. The incremental cost of the landline is about $35 per month.

One advantage of a landline is better audio fidelity. A landline has more bandwidth than a cell phone. I can hear callers much better on a wired landline receiver.

Another advantage of a landline is the desk phone. That separates the receiver from the touch pad. It makes it a lot easier to key in numbers when calling a computer answered line.
me too, but only 5 wireless phones on 2 levels, and $25 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or