Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:22 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,740,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I've heard that for years, but has anyone actually tried it?
Yes, it is true. You will just need to be prepared to give your location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Cell phone. I noticed a number of posters in the Landline thread either say they got rid of their cell phones or don't have or want one.

Well this is my tale: About four years ago my wife was driving from her office and pulled over with intense chest pain. She called 911 then me. I saw them load her into the ambulance. I followed to hospital which was less than five minutes away. After about 3-5 minutes I heard a code blue call. It was for Mrs5150. But she didn't die.

Now then, let's do a replay without her having a cell phone. Mrs5150 is sitting in her car having a heart attack. And so, she does what? Go to the nearest house to borrow a phone? Flag down a car in this residential area or stop a pedestrian and explain why 911 needs to be called. I suppose I would have remarried by now.
I agree. One of the main benefits of a cell phone is the use of it in emergencies. A car breaking down, an accident, a health incident, etc.

Now, I don't have a smartphone. I have a cell phone. TracFone....super cheap but works well.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,655,555 times
I hate cell phones, had to carry one for business during the mid 90s. The cost was outrages sometimes over $300 per month, much of it for roaming. I now have a Bluetooth smartphone (tracfone) @ $100 annually. There is noway I will carry the phone with me around the house, but with Bluetooth I connected it to all my 5 landline wireless phones. In the car it’s also connected by Bluetooth and I can listen to the almost 700 songs that are stored on it. For the small cost of a bundled landline, I’ll will keep the landline.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
The only reason I got one was for emergencies.

yea, I still prefer a land line most of the time but cell phones do have an advantage occasionally.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM

25,575 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Still have landline. Also have a prepaid cell through USCellular at $6.44/mo. for emergencies/safety - have had it for 10 years at least. Never leave home without it. Do keep it charged, have replaced the battery a few times - buy that off eBay for $5. Rarely use the phone except to call if I'm running late, etc. Load minutes about once a year ($15-$20) - minutes never expire. Annual cost overall, about $100.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
My first cell phone was purchased when I worked a 3-11 shift for a few years and was often on the road after midnight with a 40 minute drive home.

I never used to carry it on me at home but I do most of the time now. I walked out of the house one night and had locked the door behind me and realized as soon as the door shut that I didn't have keys on me. Luckily I had my phone on me, otherwise I would have had to walk two miles over to my son's house. I could have gone to the neighbors, but I had no idea what my son's number is, it's on speed dial and I usually text anyway. Our neighbors have a key now too.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
At present, my cell phone is my own version of "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Maybe someday I'll need something dedicated, with a simple panic button interface.

Good to have something, just in case!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Agree - I bet people loved it when you could quickly contact someone via a payphone somewhere. Cell phones get a bad rap.
like everything else it's not the "thing" it's the abuse by people.

Now people who loved them always use the "emergency contact" excuse but I've seen more use for "evil" than "good". lol

Now I've accepted that they are now an evil part of society but this is my take on them.

1) Why are people 3X as loud on them. seriously?? last weekend outside my house I heard a young women yelling and thought some thing was wrong, ready to call the cops I look outside my women and it's lovers drama on a cell phone.

2) rude behavior. I love how you're in the store and folks now treat the employees like they are their slaves not even worthy of eye contact. Now I worked retail long ago and it was horrible then (literally one of the reasons why I stayed in college) but I cringe when I see someone shove their merchandise at the check out person while yapping on the phone. no smile, no hello, no nothing.

3) rude behavior II. no one understands "Please silence your cell phones". My pastor this summer literally had to stop a sermon to speak on the number of accidental rings. Yes, hearing Justin Timberlake in the middle of a sermon is pleasant. let's not even begin the movie drama.

4) driving. Yeah right everyone has hand free and no one ever texts while driving.

5) emergencies are really an excuse to call you at all hours for any stupid reason. Instant access is not what it's cracked up to and now if people don't get you immediately they actually get an attitude. oh excuse me, is my employment that allows me to pay my mortgage getting in your way of asking "what are you doing"???
When my kids call me, it is never an emergency. It usually goes like this, "mom did you buy ice cream, we don't have anymore"

Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,663,915 times
I have a friend that had a stroke while he was out hunting by himself in the woods..after he layed there for a while dazed and confused he said he started praying to God for help..after a little bit he said God told him.."pull out your cell phone and call 911"..lol..

Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
I love my cell phone for so many reasons, gps, aarp app, coupon app, Skype with son and grandson, take photos, emergencies, control our home security system , travel and weather alerts, alarm and calendar. Luckily I don't have the kind of friends that want to chat on the phone so I rarely get calls unless it's to touch base or arrange a get together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement