Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I have a smart phone but it's in a zip lock in a drawer. I activate it if I'm going on a road trip or something and then let it go till the next one. I like having a smart phone on trips because I can still access the internet, etc.. Otherwise I couldn't care less about any cell phone.
Zip lock?
Honestly anything I keep in a ziplock goes in the freezer.

But if you had a medical emergency in your car would it be nice to have that smartphone handy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Even a cell that is not activated as a subscriber phone can still reach 911. Keep your old phone on charge and carry it for emergency use.
This is true. I put an old simple push button cell phone in my parents car glove box on a charger for that very reason. It doesnt require a plan or even a sim card.

Dialing 911 will likely not connect with emergency services directly, but to an emergency services routing call center. Be prepared to give your location, even though some of the emergency call routing centers may have some general info on your location, due to the cell tower you connect to.

The call may also take several seconds to go through after 911 is dialed, due to some validation and cell routing needs.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Don't go anywhere without it. Even walking the dog near home. Sadly a few years ago there was a local story about 2 senior ladies who headed out to an outlet mall about 50 miles from home. They went missing and there was a massive hunt to locate them. After many days their car was discovered off of an access road right next to the interstate. It was deduced that they got lost, attempted to turn around and got their car stuck in a ditch. They had no phone, no way to call for help. One lady had attempted to walk across a field to get help using a walker and fell. The other died in the car. Had one of them had a cell phone they would be alive today. Cell phones save lives, period.
Haven't had a landline in years. I pay 30 and 45 bucks for 2 Straighttalk smartphones. My Android is my ''tablet/laptop'' and am ditching the router for my 4G LTE wonder. And I know when to put it down too. That's important.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 09-20-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
lol, anyone every wonder how society survived 30 years ago.

It seems to me that we have all these technological advances and yet are more miserable. just wondering....

Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Zip lock?
Honestly anything I keep in a ziplock goes in the freezer.

But if you had a medical emergency in your car would it be nice to have that smartphone handy?

It's in a zip lock so I can keep the charger, etc. all together.

I suppose it would come in handy in an emergency and, maybe, someday I'll need it. Till then I won't worry about it much.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Yes I got one for my dad before he passed and seeing as how he had cancer and was on oxygen as well I made sure it was always charged up and ready to use should he need it . My mother refused to use hers until she got in the car when she really needed it . Well she got in an accident one day and she called my aunt and my aunt found her and picked her up and took her home because her car was trashed so yeah they come in handy . Mom is gone now and so is dad and I gave both of their cell phones to a local shelter for women and they refurbish them and use them for emergencies for woman in bad situations aka domestic violence . I just wanted to say if any of you have cell phones laying around collecting dust you might want to consider donating them to the local women s shelter .

Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, anyone every wonder how society survived 30 years ago.

It seems to me that we have all these technological advances and yet are more miserable. just wondering....
30 years ago the was a payphone on every block and people weren't afraid to let a stranger borrow their phone.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times
It cracks me up that people criticize these horrible new-fangled things like cell phones. Cell phones have a power button. Just as you can take your landline phone off the hook, you can always turn off your phone. You are not obligated to have it on all the time, much less answer every call.

I have two cell phones....one for work, one for home. The work one gets turned off at the end of the day and stays off all night and all weekend. And I gleefully ignore calls or put my personal phone on silent when I don't feel like talking to people. My phones are for my benefit, not for others.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Exactly, Marian. Mine is always on silent unless I go out and my SO needs to contact me. Voicemail and texts can be checked later.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Just hope that when the emergency happens the cell phone does not get destroyed, too.

DH had a stroke while washing second floor windows. He fell off the ladder. Broke a bunch of things including the phone. He couldn't call anybody. I was at the grocery.
This is why it is not smart to do dangerous things when alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement