U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,358,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's a personal choice of course....

Can she do that again? Or does she not want to do that either. Which is fine, of course. Don't get me wrong.

If she doesn't have to work, and doesn't want to work, or won't work for whatever reason that's between the two of you.

I'd work until I got the second pension. The day after that I'd be outta there. (and in the meantime look for the cushiest, easiest, least responsible job I could get.) Just like jail, if you gotta do the time -- it might as well be the easiest time you can serve.
The easiest, least responsible job can get boring. I would go for the most interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM
46H

967 posts, read 588,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermex View Post
Thank you for your advice.

Just for clarification my son is doing a dual degree Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering program and I am encouraging him to do an MBA after this. This will take roughly 4 more years, and I am giving him 6 months to find a job.
Have your son get a job before he heads down the path to an MBA. With his dual degree, he should start working as an engineer to get a some idea about that type of work. It will be invaluable experience and he might find he wants to remain in engineering. Also, if he wants to move out of engineering into management, he will have some idea about managing in the field he has worked in. Also, there are plenty of companies that will pay for his MBA. That is how I got my MBA.

I would also suggest you put in the 7 years for the second pension.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM

74 posts, read 39,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermex View Post
They recently changed the military retirement system no more 20 year retirements. It is now more akin to a 401K with matching funds on 5%. Basically it took out the most attractive reason to join the military.

I did everything in my power to raise my son with the mentality to NEVER join the military other than in a time of invasion to defend our Country.

I did four combat tours a total of 45 months combat time. I was a flight medic for much of my career; I saved many who I am sure wished I hadn't. I regularly dream of the ones I couldn't save.

On my last tour I lost 3 out of 4 of my team medics two to permanent injury and one to a mental break down.

Trust me there are far easier and more noble ways to earn a dollar.
I want to join the others on this thread in thanking you for your service Supermex. I also want to echo a few of the others that mentioned that you need to plan out how you will spend your time in retirement. You have a great handle on your finances with a couple of options. How do you envision spending your time without a job?

I had friends whose parents (Vietnam-era military) retired after 20 years or so. At that point they were in their mid-40s. Their solution was to move to a retirement community near Tampa where just about everyone else was also retired military. They were more at home there than in average suburbia, and there were many very active people around to spend time with during the days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or