U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,904 times

Advertisements

I have at last count about 40 Yankees t-shirts proudly proclaiming my loyalty to the team from my Bronx childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,653,380 times
dishes. I love sets of beautiful dishes. I currently have 5 sets, but am selling or giving away all but one set because I'm moving. Then I get to start accumulating again.

I'm like a shark, never stop swimming...

Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 753,840 times
Old cars.

I don't accumulate them. Just own a few at a time.

But I have bought hundreds in my lifetime.

Now let me get back to the car ads.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 PM

662 posts, read 478,206 times
Whimsical teapots.

I have many shoes, but that's only because I don't throw them away! It's a odd family thing that it's so hard to throw shoes away.

Also, I probably have more earrings than most and rarely go out without a pair on.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 PM

195 posts, read 106,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll never stop buying books and adding to my library. I've been this way since I started to read. There are other things I buy as well, but books are NUMBER ONE.
I, too, was in love with books and always promised myself that someday I would have a "library" at home. Well, I found a house that had a 2 car garage with 14' high ceilings and I converted it into a library. I had 12' high bookcases along a 21' wall with a ladder to reach the upper shelves. I spent the better part of the first summer in that house up on scaffolding putting decorative trim on the ceiling and building the shelves. then my husband and I built a detached garage to make up for the one I converted.

I loved my library/home office, but when I sold the house I left the books in it and nowadays I go online to the library and download books to my kindle.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:15 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,778,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
wine.

yessss!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times
If I had more room, I'd probably collect books. I do buy them, but every so often I cull. And I will lend them to friends too.

I've collected several sorts of things over time: blue bottles, white ceramics and china, mid-century green glass. I have stopped with those. But I refuse to stop buyng hand thrown pottery. I can always find room for another piece. I do admit that I don't have stellar pieces. i buy the best I can afford. But I have pieces that span the course of my marriage, found in many different places and I get tremendous enjoyment from owning every piece.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 PM

7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
I'm done accumulating. It's time to start reducing. Except for my guns. I'm not getting any more, but I'm not getting rid of what I have.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
I will never stop rescuing dogs and loving them into doggie happiness. Nothing has come close to this in the joy factor.
I love having books, CDs, and DVD movies around and collect some.
Bicycles? I've been told and I only have one, but thinking to add another. Same with scooters.
Shoes? Still wearing ones from 20 years ago. Ones I bought last year are already shot.
Vintage LL Bean outerwear: love it and buy and sell on Ebay. Got too many coats but there is something about paying dirt money for items that cost hundreds of dollars in the '90s. Ones I could never afford then. I probably have a sickness.
Grapic tees? Bought 2 more yesterday. I rotate what's in the closet for variety. I fully intend to go out of this world in tie-dye.
MandMs? Will never stop, but they don't accumulate much.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 09-21-2017 at 04:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 06:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
Nothing! I am getting ready to move right now and the thought keeps going through my head.. "why do I have so much STUFF!??!!" I am purging, trashing, donating and want to have a less cluttered life in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement