U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM

17,401 posts, read 21,239,668 times

Advertisements

Being Las Vegas has no Art Museum, I go wild over Art books. I'm currently on a Surrealism kick and am seeking out illustrated art books from all the Surrealists. I plan to eventually get duplicates then put my favorites into framed pictures for my walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Nothing. I don't collect stuff.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM

6,368 posts, read 3,580,666 times
Fall and Christmas decorations

Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM

5,697 posts, read 4,420,516 times
Nothing! We have a rule that any purchase must be matched with a discard. However, I can't pass up a comfy looking bra, I must admit. Always looking for one that will give me lots of comfort and if I see one that looks like it will be the magic solution, I will buy it.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Ha ha! I did not realize of being an alien. I am packing today for an 18-days trip to Europe and only bring an extra pair of shoes besides the hiking shoes which I will be wearing most of the time.

When travel, I only pack another pair of water shoes/boots for special purposes like scuba diving, rowing or boating.

Honestly, I don't understand the typical woman's obsession with shoes especially the desire to match shoes color with outfit. At any given time, I have no more than 5-6 pairs of footwear for different purposes (working in the garden, hiking/birding, rowing, walking/shoveling snow, wearing around the house and formal occasions). My shoes are neutral color (black or tan) to go with pretty much everything.

I envy you regarding the shoe thing. When I retired, I had over 200 pair of shoes and donated most of them to the battered woman's shelter (along with about 60% of my clothes). Still retired, and I am not social, so rarely go anywhere, I'm now back up to at least 100 pair of shoes.

Purses, yes! I love them too and try to match to my outfits. I suspect a shrink would have a field day analyzing our opposite views on the subject.

PS: It's good to change shoes from day to day if you can - more sanitary. I understand the issue when packing. On my overseas horse treks I'm stuck with one pair of riding boots. (wool socks with silk liners)

Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
dishes. I love sets of beautiful dishes. I currently have 5 sets, but am selling or giving away all but one set because I'm moving. Then I get to start accumulating again.

I'm like a shark, never stop swimming...

Oh! Thank heavens I'm not alone! Same here - I have my own, expensive 12 place setting, my inherited 8 place setting from my aunt, and then...... various sets for the type of food I'll be serving. Because seriously, you can't serve Thai food on the same colour/theme plates as Italian!

Don't even get me going on watching EBAY and looking at the beautiful, old fine china!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 AM

530 posts, read 246,068 times
Gold

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,532,968 times
I was going to say nothing, since I don't like shoes, jewelry or other 'collectibles", but then someone said Sea shells, and yes, I love those. Can't resist. We also have ancient pottery shards washing up on our beach and those are fun to collect.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,243,310 times
Being both a traditional quilter and a crazy quilter -- fabric, fabric, fabric and beads, beads, beads.

The fabric is good insulation in my closet (to whoever was afraid of accumulating too much yarn, use this reasoning) and the beads are tiny little things. Just because those tiny little things now fill up three big sewing boxes does not mean I have a problem. No sir. No way

Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
books and hand tools. love having an excuse to buy new and exotic tools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement