U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,065,288 times

Advertisements

I have always been happy. Just had different reasons at different times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,045 times
Unhappiest - childhood. Dysfunctional family, poor, lived in bad neighborhoods, strict father and absent mother, felt like an outcast at school.

Happiest - age 16-35. I started dating and working, really enjoyed college, and started my career. For the first time, I was in control of my life and my destiny.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM

6,326 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermex View Post
College years age 20 - 24 where my happiest.

In general the older I get the more miserable I have become current age 45. (hoping that turns around)
I have to say that the college years were very happy go lucky time, too. I love school.

I still haven't hit a major unhappy part to my life yet and hope I never do.

Hope you turn your way of thinking around and start enjoying life. You really have so much going for you. A family - spouse and son. Money in the bank - a good job - all your basic requirements are met - no issues there. Maybe your war experiences are keeping you from enjoying life?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
In all honesty, 57 years into my life, I cannot distinguish my happiest/unhappiest times. I can list times that are easily defined as happy or unhappy. So here's a list sampling:

Happy - travelling/trips over the years
Unhappy - 3+ years of dealing with daughters deep depression (attempted 3-times along the way)
Happy - 2 wonderful children, 1 great daughter in law, 2 awesome grandchildren
Unhappy - various family health issues: Dad(87) with dementia, Mom(84) just over chemo/radiation treatment for lymphoma, and it came back; wife with chronic illness who can't work on disability; wife loses mother and oldest sister to Pancreatic Cancer
Happy - I woke up this morning (meaning I'm still in the game)

With all the highs were hidden lows, and with all the lows came personal growth experiences. I probably sound corny, but I see my life in one big moving & morphing journey. Despite having the human emotions of being happy/unhappy and having felt the joy and hurt that comes with the territory, the happiest/unhappiest times based on my life's perspective through today's eyes, are in a sense level. Call me balanced, or call me repressed for appearing not to have any emotions, but I feel the only way to contain my sanity and get the most enjoyment out of life that I can (with my current circumstances), is to keep it all under control and strive for balance while doing that ridiculous juggling thing with the laundry list of "to-dos".

Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,675,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
In all honesty, 57 years into my life, I cannot distinguish my happiest/unhappiest times. I can list times that are easily defined as happy or unhappy. So here's a list sampling:

Unhappy - 3+ years of dealing with daughters deep depression (attempted 3-times along the way)
Unhappy - various family health issues: Dad(87) with dementia, Mom(84) just over chemo/radiation treatment for lymphoma, and it came back; wife with chronic illness who can't work on disability; wife loses mother and oldest sister to Pancreatic Cancer

With all the highs were hidden lows, and with all the lows came personal growth experiences. I probably sound corny, but I see my life in one big moving & morphing journey. Despite having the human emotions of being happy/unhappy and having felt the joy and hurt that comes with the territory, the happiest/unhappiest times based on my life's perspective through today's eyes, are in a sense level. Call me balanced, or call me repressed for appearing not to have any emotions, but I feel the only way to contain my sanity and get the most enjoyment out of life that I can (with my current circumstances), is to keep it all under control and strive for balance while doing that ridiculous juggling thing with the laundry list of "to-dos".
I agree Metalman... Life is like a roller coaster. Luckily the highs have exceeded the lows.

Only really bad time was in my mid 50's going through a divorce that ended a 35 year marriage.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Humm happiest??

probably 25-30.
My girlfriends and I had really good jobs in NYC and we were the original "sex in the city" gals. Dating, clubbing, traveling and just having a great time.

unhappiest had to be from 2012 to 2015
2012. Husband of 28 years dies from leukemia.
2013 baby brother dies from pancreatic cancer
2015 best friend from college, for over 30 years dies from complications from obesity.

It feels like I wore black for 4 years straight.

although now is a pretty good time in my life also. so no complaints.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,254,622 times
First forty years had many very unhappy moments/days. Dysfunctional home-life as a kid; got married at 19 and started another dysfunctional life till divorce at 40.

Divorce was a gift. I had so many fears of failing, not making it, etc. Never felt good about myself.

These past 35 years were not without problems, but any unhappiness was short-lived and overcome. So I would have to say I am at my happiness now, which kind of bugs me. Why now? Why not 30 years ago?

Better late than never.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM

6,326 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Well said!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM

6,605 posts, read 3,681,147 times
I've been reasonably happy once I got out of high school and into college although there were some very tough times along the way. I rebelled at the regimentation and "joiner" and "cliquish" aspects of high school and have very few good memories from that period but my home life was fine all along and I had friends. All sorts of things fell into place in college.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,298,977 times
I would have to say early mid 30's when all the kids were young. I never had a bad time really kids all grown and married and I am now a grandfather. It's great but nothing could compare for me to when all the kids were little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or