U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 9,150,073 times

Advertisements

Unhappiest: Teenage years. My parents moved to a different city when I was 13. Nothing worse than being the new kid in junior high

Happiest: now, starting 15 years ago when we moved to our present location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM

8,935 posts, read 2,770,156 times
I have had a variety of happy and unhappy times throughout my 61 years. There were periods, especially when I was a child, and my mama was alive that I remember feeling very safe and loved. Those were precious times. My parents had a rather volitile relationship, so there was some unhappiness as well.

When I was younger, I seemed to be able to "feel" more happy and spontaneous. But I've found that the unhappy times have helped me get in touch with who I am. I don't feel so much happy these days as I feel settled and accepting of my lot in life. I have had a lot of loss in my life, but I've also had a lot of love, and for that I am grateful.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM

7,385 posts, read 11,563,104 times
I would rank it like this ... for anybody who gives a ****.

1) The happiest was probably in my early 30s.

I had a lot of friends, lived in the city, we used to party and have a lot of fun, and I had a girlfriend (who made me miserable at times, but we also had good times). I was also in a couple of bands.

My job was also pretty easy and not the source of much stress.

2) Now (age 42) is not all that far behind. But I struggle with trying to enjoy my job and it takes too much out of me. Also, my friends all have kids and/or have changed and I never see them. I have a GF though and we have fun.

Some of my dreams have died, but I am VERY comfortable with who I have become. But I have regrets.

3) College was crazy fun and so many carefree days and aimless adventures. And everything was new and exciting. But I was just way too neurotic and lacked self esteem. That brought about bouts of depression. But the freedom you experience, plus the feeling of having all of your dreams and life ahead of you is exciting.

Worst was high school without question. Class wasn't fun and my parents put a lot of pressure on me to do well. I didn't like the kids at school. And though I wasn't tormented, it was still an ordeal a lot of the times, at least in my head.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,108,042 times
My happiest time was my childhood, but my retirement age is pretty damn happy too so far, knock on wood.

My 30s-40s-early 50s was my unhappiest time.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM

157 posts, read 149,676 times
I heard once that if you have to think whether or not you're happy, then you're not happy.

Sort of a conundrum, but I think it's true.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:55 PM

7,385 posts, read 11,563,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
I heard once that if you have to think whether or not you're happy, then you're not happy.

Sort of a conundrum, but I think it's true.
It's a pretty good point.

One of the reasons that I'm so skittish on having kids is because I'm pretty happy now ...

Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,376,326 times
I have always been happy, rich or poor. In my childhood we were poor, I didn't know it, everyone was poor. We worked in the fields, cleaned cow stalls and ate many potato's.

I felt some stress from 1946 to 1950 hoping my father would still be coming home. I was told that he was killed, in my mind I was hoping he was a prisoner. By 1950 I gave up hope.

In the military, served in every rat hole in the world, from north Africa, the Congo, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. I loved it, and met many great people from different cultures.

After the 9 years of military I worked for a great corporation and retired early.

I loved every aspect of my life, I never worry about things that I can’t control and I’m also somewhat in denial. However, I’m very proactive with things that I can control.

For me, life has been great.

Last edited by txfriend; 09-22-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Happiest? In my thirties when I was raising my children. I had them a bit later on. I had my "look" together, my act together, and I was done pleasing people. I loved being a mostly "stay at home mom".

Least happy? Probably now. I don't like this whole "empty next" thing. Grandchildren are far off, if ever, and it's something over which I have no control. Aging nicely, but it's work.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Happiest - ages 18 to 36 and also age 61 to the present (73).

The younger set of ages: starting college, on my own for the first time, learning and doing new things, living in Europe, getting married, learning to fly airplanes. All in all an exciting time.

The older set of ages: Retirement provided a greater choice of activities and a reduction of stress. Was lucky to find gratifying things to do.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 PM

195 posts, read 106,484 times
I think I was probably unhappiest as a kid, but for no good reason. I had a good childhood but I was a moody, sullen kid that always felt like an outsider. I continued to feel like an outsider into adulthood. No matter where I was I never felt like I fit in.

The older I get the happier I am. When I was pushing 30 I had it all and most people looking on would think that they would love to have my life, but I was always unhappy. Now I am pushing 60 and anyone looking on would say that you couldn't pay them enough to trade places with me, yet I am very content. Happiness is a state of mind and I think it has more to do with how you feel about yourself than what is going on around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or