U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,509,279 times

Advertisements

The first 67 years were the happiest. Then, in 2011, wife developed dementia and I became primary caregiver until she passed in 2015. So, the past 6 years have been absolute s**t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
I just thought of something when I was out there watering grass and doing other home owning chores

I used to be in a unit that traveled. Our projects could last weeks but up to 6 months. Those were carefree times - go to work, work, go to lunch, work, come home, shower, go out to eat, come back to the hotel - watch TV or wander around our location - site see - no worries about anything else.

I wasn't married, lived in an apartment - no pets. Nothing to worry about back home.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
From 16 to 25 : late teens to early adulthood, from my 2 last years in high school until I found a serious job and steady girlfriend (or simply put : A girlfriend) and stabilized . I had serious issues during that period, et besides that, I was broke , and I had to study, study, study (I was genuinely afraid to never find a situation and end up broke and lonely).

Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,699,733 times
Definitely childhood. From as early as I can remember until around 12. It was very humble and my family didn't have a whole lot but we made the best of it. So many great family memories.

Unhappiest was going blind with messed up corneas when I was, luckily I bounced back. Since then, life has had its ups and downs. Right now, at 31, I'm at my toughest points. A sort of crossroads. Let's see what happens.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,267,777 times
I am sorry for your situation. Now while THAT IS a reason to be unhappy, remain strong and with hope. You are still young enough that there is hope.

To the poster that wondered about people that had happy childhoods being unhappy now, while I would not say that the comparison is doomed to a more unhappy adulthood, I would concede that the working world compared to the more carefree play world, is a pretty tough comparison to beat. It is for me. If I were to average my happiness over a years time, I had a fantastic childhood, (from the late 50s) all the way through my college graduation in 1980. The music of those eras and the change in society were a fantastic time to be growing up, at least for me.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t suffer broken hearts, tough times, growing up poor until age 12, getting beat with a wooden spoon or belt, when looking back, we were just kids acting like kids. It just means that it made me more self reliant, and driven to get out and to succeed. I had tons of close friends, and we did so much together. I was a voracious reader and escaped in to fantastic worlds, when I needed to. I was on top of the world, seemingly successful at anything I tried or did. I fell in love many times, (hence the broken hearts) and laughed till I cried and sang at the top of my lungs with friends at concerts. I was tall, strong, smart & popular, and my lack of good looks and money meant nothing. The future seemed full of endless possibilities. With all the time in the world ahead of me to accomplish whatever I wanted.

My family, looking back, may have been dysfunctional, but they tried, and there was no alcoholism or drugs, and we lived in a nice safe location, in an economically positive area. Once it became time to pay back my college loans, and work for a living, reality was a cold slap in the face. My first job out of school was awful and set the stage for so many issues not conducive to happiness. And while money may buy choices, happiness is not one of them. But the stress and hardships of being in debt, at least for me, almost guaranteed unhappiness. Losing everything twice in divorces sort of puts one on edge. Being smart is no guarantee for great success at anything, it just means failure at more things is less likely. The state of the world today hangs like a cloud of depression, dampening my enjoyments. Young and carefree (whether the carefree was reality or not) beats the heck out of adulthood and responsibility in my mind.

But despite that, I find myself more grateful for the little things, the lick of a dogs kiss, a day of perfect weather, the timelessness of a great read. My job is good, and finances are not a worry, and stresses are often self generated. I so look forward to retirement, mainly in part in desperate hope to regain those feelings of a carefree life with adventures that are still to lie ahead. I hope to have close friends again, like in my youth.

Last edited by Perryinva; 09-27-2017 at 12:22 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 12:36 AM

271 posts, read 116,919 times
happiest right now age 49

Old 09-27-2017, 05:42 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,059,960 times
Happiest, age 19 through early 40s. Not so much in my 40s but happier from age 55 through now. At age 67, I've swapped out any mental aches for physical aches.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 AM

6,828 posts, read 3,869,983 times
Happiest was when we first retired and moved to Hawaii. Have never been unhappy for any length of time because I learned to ignore all the negative hubub when really young.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,645,249 times
Unhappiest : By the time I was 15 1/2 grandad was killed in a car accident, his wife my nana died at home from cancer and my father was in prison for abusing me, losing everything (our home, all our worldly goods) and living in poverty.

Happiest: NOW, I survived it all, survived breast cancer, survived other losses, but here I am happy, and cherishing all the good things that have happened and enjoying all that is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or