U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM
 
5,433 posts, read 3,478,515 times
Reputation: 13714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

Could be some people just want a nice, safe echo chamber where everyone agrees and commiserates with each other. No one is allowed to upset any other.
I thought the situation was described in 'About the Forum' as objections occurring because some threads are seen as 'off-topic' - the objections not being based on just wanting to read posts that are similar to one's own thinking (like an echo chamber) The objections were called 'topic discrimination'.

So I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that people in Retirement forum want to mainly read just posts that concur with their own thinking. I must have missed that part.

The other type of objections mentioned in 'About the Forum' was age discrimination. Which I take to mean objections to Serious Conversation (who is in his early or mid-30's) posting and starting threads extensively in the Retirement Forum. This turned out very much in his favor since he was awarded and rewarded $500 in the very recent Most Engaging Poster contest.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-23-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 PM
 
6,411 posts, read 5,122,551 times
Reputation: 13037
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I thought the situation was described in 'About the Forum' as objections occurring because of some threads being 'off-topic' - the objections not being just wanting to read posts that are similar to one's own thinking (echo chamber) The objections were called 'topic discrimination'.

The other type of objections mentioned in 'About the Forum' was age discrimination. Which I take to mean objections to Serious Conversation (who is in his early or mid-30's) posting and starting threads extensively in the Retirement Forum. This turned out very much in his favor since he was awarded $500 in the very recent Most Engaging Poster contest.
yea - I saw that he won 500 - good for him!! I enjoy reading his comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM
 
6,941 posts, read 7,342,419 times
Reputation: 9853
When I first found the forum, I never even presumed it was only for just older people.
"Retirement" is the general topic -- and that is NOT age related.

This is just me -- but personally -- I'd rather have a 30 year-old post about a true retirement topic, than have an old-head post about where do you buy compression socks -- which is in NO WAY retirement related. So yes I would question why is that question in the "retirement" thread. That question can be asked in the 'fashion and beauty' forum where people ask clothing related questions all day long. Even a question about dealing with grandkids -- why is that not posted in the "nonromantic relationships" thread? That also is not "retirement"-related.

IF the thread is going to be a 'catch all' for for retirement AND aging issues then that's what the thread title should say.

I get that some "retired" or "older" people may want responses from people they presume can relate to their issue, but you don't have be 60 to know where you get get compression socks, nor do you have to be over 70 to have grandkids.

Regardless, though anyone of any age can post here, and should feel comfortable doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:02 PM
 
5,433 posts, read 3,478,515 times
Reputation: 13714
selhars, I think the reasoning is that older people and retired people will not be scouring all the other Forums for tidbits that they find interesting and helpful.

These older people will therefore miss a ton of posts helpful and interesting to them because those posts are not posted in the Retirement Forum.

I found the compression sock post helpful and interesting - and I never would have seen it if it had been posted in other Forums other than Retirement Forum. (as an example)

(as an aside, Compression socks are a medical and health issue, definitely not Fashion and Beauty - compression socks help to avert/prevent blood clots and also sometimes help those with diabetes and also help to prevent excessive swelling of ankles and legs and those with circulation problems)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-23-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:07 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,986 posts, read 18,988,802 times
Reputation: 33973
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
When I first found the forum, I never even presumed it was only for just older people.
"Retirement" is the general topic -- and that is NOT age related.

This is just me -- but personally -- I'd rather have a 30 year-old post about a true retirement topic, than have an old-head post about where do you buy compression socks -- which is in NO WAY retirement related. So yes I would question why is that question in the "retirement" thread. That question can be asked in the 'fashion and beauty' forum where people ask clothing related questions all day long. Even a question about dealing with grandkids -- why is that not posted in the "nonromantic relationships" thread? That also is not "retirement"-related.

IF the thread is going to be a 'catch all' for for retirement AND aging issues then that's what the thread title should say.

I get that some "retired" or "older" people may want responses from people they presume can relate to their issue, but you don't have be 60 to know where you get get compression socks, nor do you have to be over 70 to have grandkids.

Regardless, though anyone of any age can post here, and should feel comfortable doing so.
Yeh, but if you asked that question about compression socks in the fashion forum, probably few would know what you were talking about and you might get ridiculed instead of obtaining the information. So I guess that's a good reason for calling this forum "Retirement AND Aging."

I've seen the ridicule when an older person asks a question that mostly pertains to older people but asks it on another forum. I've also seen the older person's question just get ignored completely. But this forum won't be renamed to include aging, that's what they said.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:13 PM
 
6,411 posts, read 5,122,551 times
Reputation: 13037
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, but if you asked that question about compression socks in the fashion forum, probably few would know what you were talking about and you might get ridiculed instead of obtaining the information. So I guess that's a good reason for calling this forum "Retirement AND Aging."

I've seen the ridicule when an older person asks a question that mostly pertains to older people but asks it on another forum. I've also seen the older person's question just get ignored completely. But this forum won't be renamed to include aging, that's what they said.
runners and athletes wear compression socks - not all are old. But then maybe a better question for the sports and athletic forum if there is one??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM
 
6,941 posts, read 7,342,419 times
Reputation: 9853
Oh I certainly get that Matisse.

But then you get into well...is there a teen forum, and a 25-34 forum....after all those are people who might be starting families and have their own "like issues"......or an age 40-50 forum?

That's why I think one 'improvement' might just be tweak the thread title.....but I'm happy here either way.

ETA: I see newengland, you say the thread won't be renamed, oh well.
Please know, and pass along, that I AM glad they at least let us discuss it. For that I AM grateful.

Last edited by selhars; 09-23-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,504,934 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
No. Old people are by far the largest complainers so I am not surprised.
Really? It seems like today's youth learn something via social media, and before we can blink, they are en-masse publishing an uninformed stance. There's no debate, no discussion, no learning context or gathering information, but rather a gut reaction of a strong opinion that usually equates to a criticism. For example, thirty years ago people understood that snow removal takes time and most people who were alive thirty years ago still accept that. Today, social media monkeys complain loudly when snow is not removed before the sun rises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,715 posts, read 3,282,145 times
Reputation: 12146
OK, I have to admit, I have not read each and every post. The reason is I don't understand why all the hub-bub about it. Good grief.

We are all adults, right? Why can't we do what a lot of us have said: not for you, then don't read it. How hard is that? So they are serving chocolate and vanilla ice cream, you say you don't like vanilla??? Then get chocolate.

I'm older (75) and know over the past few years I've gotten grumpier than before and I could tell you all the reasons why, but I won't. I finally "heard myself" and know how grating it is to hear or read something like that.

I also think there are people who post here that just want to be noticed. There have been posts that just seem to go on and on and on...... what is up with that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 03:18 PM
 
382 posts, read 355,192 times
Reputation: 2004
Agree wih you, NYgal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top