U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 03:38 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,657,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
No. Old people are by far the largest complainers so I am not surprised.

Oh what ageist claptrap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 PM

11,225 posts, read 8,611,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I also think there are people who post here that just want to be noticed. There have been posts that just seem to go on and on and on...... what is up with that??
This would be sad as posting on the internet really isn't being "noticed." After all, we are nameless, faceless strangers to each other. Personally, I enjoy a good debate especially when I perceive comments as being "excuses" as opposed to choices or solutions. But that's me...

Old 09-23-2017, 04:03 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,723,157 times
Smile Reading - posting for about 10 years now

This is my opinion only.

Retirement scared me. I say "scared" because once I started reading this forum, I found positive points of view and I really read what people were up against. I also found those happy as anything they retired and that helped me.

As a workaholic and I fear my husband and I both are, this form has been helpful.

However, some of the negative posts such as "there's been several threads on that subject" or looking down on a poster is hard to take. I have only reported 1 post in 10 years and the post was rude and inconsiderate.

I have learned much on this form. If I were 35 again, I'd consider working for the government and somewhere there was a pension. I did not grow up in that vein; everyone I knew was self employed pretty much.

My future plans didn't exactly work out but so many here also had similar stories and it was easier to feel so not alone. Instead of going out and buying a half gallon of Cookies and Cream, I came here and vented.

Ten years ago, I was dealing with 2 older relatives - my mother and my father-in-law. Both are now gone but this and the Caregiving Forum helped me tremendously.

Other than this forum, I have very few people to ask questions of. Most people I know have done very well and can't relate to why we have to work so hard and then there are others barely getting by. This forum has also been a good venting tool for me as I try to renovate myself this year. (I have lost close to 20 pounds and I feel better and will always be grateful for one less pound).

Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 PM

30,745 posts, read 49,579,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
No. Old people are by far the largest complainers so I am not surprised.
I am a little surprised that 'off-topic' complaints are #1 here.

As a retiree myself [I have been on pension since 2001, so 16 years] I think is a good forum for all fellow retirees. Along with people who are still working and planning on retiring someday [how else do they learn if not from talking to folks who are on retirement?].

Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM

23,777 posts, read 17,715,323 times
OK, I’ll bite. On phone so excuse typos and brevity by my standards.

If people want purely technical analysis and advice about various retirement scenarios, this board is clearly not it. While some of this goes on, I’d say less than a third of posts here are of a technical nature, from esoteric investment math to fairly technical advice about how to bear utilize insurance.

Most of the posts, by far, seem to be about lifestyle decisions and choices.

I definitely think of it as “all things senior,” and I’m probably the elephant in the room, but not the only one posting “nontechnical” information. For instance, grandma needs adaptions to the house to make it more senior friendly. While “by the book” it ought to go in House forum, that audience is probably not primarily senior, nor experienced in adapted properties for against residents. You’ll like get a much more targeted demographic response here.

I probably get three positive responses from seniors on here to every grumbler. All the information I post is true as best I know. I talk about real world scenarios in my life and in the lives of those I know.

I’m surprised the mods even let that slip. They must be getting tons of unwarranted and nuisance reports.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 PM

9,081 posts, read 2,811,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I've been teaching my eldest kid who is Grade 7 about retirement. The purpose of retirement is to be able to start on it right away so one is best prepared. It did not occur to me some people would think of this thread as for retired people only (though I am semi-retired since 3 years ago).
I'm retired now, but I sure could have used the wisdom of retirees when I was much younger. Good for you, Yippee, for educating your child at a young age. It's never too early to start.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 PM

29,905 posts, read 34,965,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
OK, I’ll bite. On phone so excuse typos and brevity by my standards.

If people want purely technical analysis and advice about various retirement scenarios, this board is clearly not it. While some of this goes on, I’d say less than a third of posts here are of a technical nature, from esoteric investment math to fairly technical advice about how to bear utilize insurance.

Most of the posts, by far, seem to be about lifestyle decisions and choices.

I definitely think of it as “all things senior,” and I’m probably the elephant in the room, but not the only one posting “nontechnical” information. For instance, grandma needs adaptions to the house to make it more senior friendly. While “by the book” it ought to go in House forum, that audience is probably not primarily senior, nor experienced in adapted properties for against residents. You’ll like get a much more targeted demographic response here.

I probably get three positive responses from seniors on here to every grumbler. All the information I post is true as best I know. I talk about real world scenarios in my life and in the lives of those I know.

I’m surprised the mods even let that slip. They must be getting tons of unwarranted and nuisance reports.
Bada Bing!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM

One thing I think the curmudgeons on here don’t realize is that there are eminently qualified professionals dealing with senior issues who are not seniors themselves. These people can often put forth far better advice than an “unprofessional” senior.

I know someone personally who is my Age. This person works as a home health consultant and is actively involved with a state Alzheimer’s advocacy group.

Would the seniors here reject her professional advice on an age basis?

I’ve said several times I am no professional in the health or gerontology fields. I’m just a bored office worker with a crappy personal life, time to burn, a knack for writing, and a lot of smarts. With that said, there are tons of 30 year old professionals who have specific expertise the average 70 year old does not.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM

9,605 posts, read 10,977,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I think the curmudgeons on here don’t realize is that there are eminently qualified professionals dealing with senior issues who are not seniors themselves. These people can often put forth far better advice than an “unprofessional” senior.

I know someone personally who is my Age. This person works as a home health consultant and is actively involved with a state Alzheimer’s advocacy group.

Would the seniors here reject her professional advice on an age basis?
Based on her age and her occupation: you can bet I'd reject her advice.

"Consultants" and "advocates" are not our friends. Their one desire is to remove our control of our money, our choice of a place to live—in other words, our whole lives.

There are far too many "young people" who don't believe that we should have the rights of an adult. They believe that we should have no more rights than a five year old. They despise us and hold us in contempt.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Based on her age and her occupation: you can bet I'd reject her advice.

"Consultants" and "advocates" are not our friends. Their one desire is to remove our control of our money, our choice of a place to live—in other words, our whole lives.

There are far too many "young people" who don't believe that we should have the rights of an adult. They believe that we should have no more rights than a five year old. They despise us and hold us in contempt.
That is an absolutely delusional point of view. These people are offering their professional expertise, often free of charge, to folks who have absolutely no knowledge of that field. That is not you. From your posts, you are a well-informed and well-read man. But neither is that trait confined to seniors.

For people who run along your rails, look up Paul Waggener. Paul has more wisdom than virtually anyone than I personally know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or