U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 PM
 
6,920 posts, read 7,324,986 times
Reputation: 9840

Advertisements

^^ I don't know what to say to that other than, "Wow. Okie-dokie, then....."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
5,544 posts, read 4,139,307 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The biggest problem here with ageism is it works both ways and no one sees that.

The old people think the young people are dumb and stupid, and the young think the old are dumb and stupid and don't know anything either! Neither age bracket can see they are as bad as the other.

"Wisdom comes with age". I disagree. I think WISDOM comes from EXPERIENCES. BOTH can have WISDOM, based on their experiences. Being old does not automatically make one wise. But experiences do.

And anyone 30-ish to 50s are just caught in the middle.

And everyone's experiences and therefore WISDOM, is different.

When I was in the dating game electronically in my 30s, I was amazed at the 28, 29 years old who would put in their profile "no one over 30". Um, uh, duh...you're just a short time away from your marker yourself!! ( I was early 30s, so not too far older than they, but that " 3" in front of the age number scared them off!!!). Reminded me of stickers in cereal when i was a teen " dont trust anyone over 30"!!

May, as I said before we are ALL AGING . AND gaining EXPERIENCES.

May the gods of the universe bless us all to LEARN from one another.

Anyone interested in RETIREMENT TOPICS should be able to post here, regardless of not yet near but wanting to know about retirement, to those who retired long ago.
Maybe we can all learn from one another.

Gaining EXPERIENCES and thusly WISDOM, from each other could help us all.

Yes. This. No censorship and let's try to learn from everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
5,544 posts, read 4,139,307 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Based on her age and her occupation: you can bet I'd reject her advice.

"Consultants" and "advocates" are not our friends. Their one desire is to remove our control of our money, our choice of a place to live—in other words, our whole lives.

There are far too many "young people" who don't believe that we should have the rights of an adult. They believe that we should have no more rights than a five year old. They despise us and hold us in contempt.
wow what a generalization.
This world is changing faster than ever before. Technology, economics, medical advancements, people living longer. There's just so much to know nowadays.
I think to get the most from life you need to be open and hear everything. You can make a decision on whether the info applies or helps you. But if you just dismiss it and don't listen. Who knows what you will miss out on.
I listened to one real estate podcast from someone almost half my age who had been doing it for 4 years. I could have said " I've been in real estate for 30 years, almost longer than that person has been alive. I don't need to listen to her."
What I learned from her because I was open to it changed my life to possibly going homeless or living in poverty to retiring early in with a 6 figure income in about a 5 year time span.
I hope I'm never to stubborn and pig headed to judge people and not listen. Although it's always a struggle for me

BTW I wonder how many complaints have been sent to the moderators on this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,670 posts, read 3,714,126 times
Reputation: 12559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
.....

In a similar vein, I suggest that people get over objecting to posters based solely on their age; younger people should be welcome to post here, as they may be looking ahead for advice on their own retirement planning or they may be talking about issues their own parents are facing. We (collectively) shouldn't be so grouchy and grumpy and unwelcoming.
No single poster or group of posters "own" this forum. It is open to all comers regardless of age or anything else as long as they abide by the basic rules and treat people with respect and in a cordial manner. I've noticed on other CD foras that someone will occasionally post something to incite controversy. I think that's pretty rare on the Retirement forum. There is no reason to respond to those threads because there will usually not be a real discussion. Responding only moves the thread higher on the forum's index page making it more visible. Being thin skinned and overtly judgmental on a public forum is counterproductive. Opinions vary so be open to an alternative view or opinion on a public forum...otherwise why be here in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM
 
5,433 posts, read 3,471,587 times
Reputation: 13714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Opinions vary so be open to an alternative view or opinion on a public forum...otherwise why be here in the first place?
People are here for a lot of other reasons than just reading alternative views and opinions different from their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 AM
 
Location: NNV
1,534 posts, read 992,630 times
Reputation: 3134
I agree with the OP in its entirety. Since the moderators are volunteering their time to moderate they should be given the benefit of the doubt as to how the forum should be run. I personally feel they are doing a damn fine job, end of story. On to the next subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 AM
 
72,120 posts, read 72,094,203 times
Reputation: 49644
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
wow what a generalization.
This world is changing faster than ever before. Technology, economics, medical advancements, people living longer. There's just so much to know nowadays.
I think to get the most from life you need to be open and hear everything. You can make a decision on whether the info applies or helps you. But if you just dismiss it and don't listen. Who knows what you will miss out on.
I listened to one real estate podcast from someone almost half my age who had been doing it for 4 years. I could have said " I've been in real estate for 30 years, almost longer than that person has been alive. I don't need to listen to her."
What I learned from her because I was open to it changed my life to possibly going homeless or living in poverty to retiring early in with a 6 figure income in about a 5 year time span.
I hope I'm never to stubborn and pig headed to judge people and not listen. Although it's always a struggle for me

BTW I wonder how many complaints have been sent to the moderators on this thread?
you can take someone like michael kitce's who is not even close to retirement age and yet he is one of the top researchers today in the field of retirement planning .

personally i have found many seniors can be quite financially ignorant . they run on myth ,old wives tales and mis-information they hear from other mis-informed people

so when it comes to knowledge age means little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,659 posts, read 4,502,541 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
...
BTW I wonder how many complaints have been sent to the moderators on this thread?
Not a single one . . . yet. The conversation, so far, has been civil and respectful.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 04:18 AM
 
12,839 posts, read 14,145,215 times
Reputation: 35119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can take someone like michael kitce's who is not even close to retirement age and yet he is one of the top researchers today in the field of retirement planning .

personally i have found many seniors can be quite financially ignorant . they run on myth ,old wives tales and mis-information they hear from other mis-informed people

so when it comes to knowledge age means little
Yes, as does one huge chunk of the rest of the human population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 AM
 
72,120 posts, read 72,094,203 times
Reputation: 49644
exactly so age is not a factor in many things . the young here can teach the old if they are knowledgeable in that area .

many older people get blinded by their own experiences and think experience is the best teacher but in many cases they are wrong .

it is like in music we say practice does not make perfect ---- perfect practice makes perfect. so experience is not always the best teacher when you are doing things wrong or not the best way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top