U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 05:58 AM

4,884 posts, read 2,360,968 times

Advertisements

I've been coming to this forum for the past 6 yrs - mostly lurking - to obtain information that may help my retired parents and to prepare myself for retirement for a few years.

Since I'm not a regular - I haven't noticed any conflicts - or reasons for complaints. My thanks to the forum for all the advice that has helped me throughout the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,060,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't think I'll be posting in this subforum again but before I go

Vote me off the island if you like. Carry on.

No one has voted you off - you seem to have voted yourself off.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM

29,829 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That is an absolutely delusional point of view. These people are offering their professional expertise, often free of charge, to folks who have absolutely no knowledge of that field. That is not you. From your posts, you are a well-informed and well-read man. But neither is that trait confined to seniors.

For people who run along your rails, look up Paul Waggener. Paul has more wisdom than virtually anyone than I personally know.
I often at times like this in the forum wonder about the respect folks have for the thoughts of their own children and parents. Do they treat them with less credibility and wisdom? We are certainly counting on our children to help guide us as needed as we age.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:07 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,979,827 times
I wish this forum had been around before my company downsized me out of a job at age 55. At that time I thought I could retire but I got a rude awakening when I tried to deal with the individual health insurance market. My premiums kept going up wildly every year. If I knew that at age 55, I would have moved for a new job.

Bottom Line: They don't want to insure people over 60. So I returned to work at age 61 primarily to get affordable group health insurance. The ACA insurance is too risky because there is no way to predict future premiums.

So I think 65 is the earliest age for most people to retire. I don't think the politicians will gut Medicare because people in both tribes need it and support it.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 AM

71,905 posts, read 71,971,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've been coming to this forum for the past 6 yrs - mostly lurking - to obtain information that may help my retired parents and to prepare myself for retirement for a few years.

Since I'm not a regular - I haven't noticed any conflicts - or reasons for complaints. My thanks to the forum for all the advice that has helped me throughout the years.
the time to learn and set the building blocks for descent in to retirement can be a decade or more before . usually by the time we start frequenting retirement sites it is to late to make changes .

Old 09-24-2017, 07:28 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,572,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the time to learn and set the building blocks for descent in to retirement can be a decade or more before . usually by the time we start frequenting retirement sites it is to late to make changes .
Yes...but policy changes quickly now. There's no 5, 10, or even 20 year grandfathering in. Health insurance premiums have changed a lot in 10 years. All you can do is save every dime you can...running scared. I really don't want to live like that or retire like that.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 AM

71,905 posts, read 71,971,035 times
you can't plan on what if's .

we plan around what was ,what is and what stands a reasonable good chance of continuing . then we nudge things along the way to keep it on course , like steering a big ship .

the plan should at least start off in the direction based on what is . doing nothing and having hope as a strategy , or betting on remote outcomes because you think things will change is never a good idea .

Old 09-24-2017, 08:27 AM

29,829 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...but policy changes quickly now. There's no 5, 10, or even 20 year grandfathering in. Health insurance premiums have changed a lot in 10 years. All you can do is save every dime you can...running scared. I really don't want to live like that or retire like that.
You have a good head on your shoulders and ask good questions. Don't run scared but move forward planned which you are doing. The unknown is just that and the mistake many make heading in and living in retirement is that they have blinders on. You have your eyes wide open!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,572,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You have a good head on your shoulders and ask good questions. Don't run scared but move forward planned which you are doing. The unknown is just that and the mistake many make heading in and living in retirement is that they have blinders on. You have your eyes wide open!
...that's why it seems so scary!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 AM

6,319 posts, read 4,765,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I believe you are thinking of your major interest in financial issues. I think there are a lot of other lifestyle issues that are equally important. I also disagree about retirement being a descent. Retirement offers endless possibilities for growth and change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or