U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,540,765 times

Advertisements

I would encourage all younger people to look at forums like this. I wish I had as a younger person. Except that was pre-internet.

I came from a family of successful entrepreneurs, almost no one worked for the man, or the government. No one steered me in that direction. In our conservative family, discussing money was verbatim. So I thought having my own company was the way to go. Never gave a thought to "benefits" or retirement planning. It was never mentioned growing up, or in my middle years.

If I could go back in time with the wisdom on this forum, I'd find that recommended but elusive government job that guarantees retirement success. Being an entrepreneur does not.

My BIL retired at 40-something from CA firefighting and boy are they sitting pretty now....and this after 4 kids put through exclusive universities with no tuition debt....

Live and learn but it's too late now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

If I could go back in time with the wisdom on this forum, I'd find that recommended but elusive government job that guarantees retirement success.

My BIL retired at 40-something from CA firefighting and boy are they sitting pretty now....and this after 4 kids put through exclusive universities with no tuition debt....
It's a good thought! - but not everyone can land a government job. (despite what those with government jobs often say)

Many repeatedly try for government jobs, but are never chosen and are consistently beat out by other applicants. And one often has to compete with workers already in the government system who are given first dibs on any job opening that occurs in all government departments.

And some people live in places where there are not government job openings suitable to their abilities, skills, training, or education....or there are government jobs which they repeatedly try for, but do not pan out because they are never chosen, as there are candidates with a better fit for the job.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-24-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,292,401 times
Quote:
I'd find that recommended but elusive government job that guarantees retirement success. Being an entrepreneur does not.
Owning your own business may not have the same 'guarantees' as a gov't job. But there's much more potential upside.
Depending on the business, you can get 'wealthy' in America owning your own company. You may have to bust your butt for it to happen but it can happen. With no insult intended for gov't workers.....that kind of job sets you up for a good retirement -- but I don't know if the potential up side is actual "wealth." More like job security, being able to coast if you want -- and still get paid.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:31 PM

1,387 posts, read 691,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
With no insult intended for gov't workers.....that kind of job sets you up for a good retirement -- but I don't know if the potential up side is actual "wealth." More like job security, being able to coast if you want -- and still get paid.
LOL! The FOX News version of government jobs is all fake news all the time. As for the thread. I've not had any particular issues here.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times
It's great and I've learned an awful lot from all of you on a broad range of topics.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,315,479 times
I'm also surprised that this forum would have the most complaints. I've been following it for about 9 years. I have seen it become a little more contentious in the last few years--but sadly so has the state of our general society. I have no problem with younger people posting- apart from those who are judgemental or insulting.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:20 PM

2,002 posts, read 2,642,528 times
Please note: This forum has the most complaints about posts being "off topic" -- not the most complaints in general.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

Please note: This forum has the most complaints about posts being "off topic" -- not the most complaints in general.
And the reasons for complaints about 'off topic' threads is because the Retirement forum also includes all things pertaining to seniors and often aging, and another reason is that often 'off topic' threads are started to get responses from older people, as many people wish to see what the senior point of view on a topic is.

Please see at the top of the Retirement forum: 'Sticky: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic. Marka'

(I enjoy the 'off-topic' threads)

Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 PM

746 posts, read 484,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Most thread titles are clear about the overall topic being discussed and that makes it easy for me to too select or ignore with 90% accuracy.
I agree! And like others have said, if I find I don't like the topic, I just move on. This forum has been very useful overall. I'm looking at retiring next year, God willing and the creek don't rise...

Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM

13,323 posts, read 25,578,684 times
I've been reading and posting here for years (retiring in January at age 64/8 months) and have found many discussions very informative and useful and often touching. There are so many areas to consider- financial, emotional, meaningful... I had no idea that there were so many reports of "off topic" and have, like so many others, just skipped over topics not of interest or veering off somewhere. I thank the mods for their work.

I did notice the sticky at the top of the forum but didn't know what it referred to.

These discussions help me get through four more months of night shifts, if the nights are quiet and the creek don't rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or