U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM

31,988 posts, read 36,621,015 times

Advertisements

What I find interesting is that most of the people who have posted on this thread are the old timers who've been here 9+ years.

This forum is like a good stew, it takes a lot of good input to make it all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 12:29 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,340,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I'm also surprised that this forum would have the most complaints. I've been following it for about 9 years. I have seen it become a little more contentious in the last few years--but sadly so has the state of our general society. I have no problem with younger people posting- apart from those who are judgemental or insulting.
I pretty much agree with the content of the above quoted post, and will take the liberty of adapting it to reflect my thoughts on the subject.

I have followed various C-D threads on Retirement since July 2007 when I joined C.D.
After almost 40 years of working (which involved EXTENSIVE travel and thousands of personal contacts") throughout the western U.S., western Canada and Alaska), I retired in Dec of 1993, thus I've been retired 23 yrs!
The variety of thousands of "Life Experiences", personal contacts, varieties of personalities and advice from many retirees who understood what my job entailed, provided me with "all kinds of useful information" related to "Retirement" in general, and resulted in a very enjoyable and successful Retirement........and I wouldn't change a single thing!

My biggest gripe with some of the posts in this thread are from people who make subjective statements that are phrased as though they are "the-law-of-the-land"................when in reality, they are nothing more than opinions based on maybe 10 or 11 years of so-called experience and supposedly qualify to be applicable for someone twice their age that is close to going into retirement.

"IF" I were in today's "working world", I would start planning for my retirement 20 yrs before my anticipated retirement.

These plans would include":.....select a geographical location that suits your lifestyle , interests, hobbies, preferred weather, etc, etc, etc.
If at all possible, move to that location at least 10 yrs prior to your planned retirement date.
Also, if at all possible, be as "debt-free" as you can be when you do actually retire.
Realizing that we all live different types of lives, and have vastly different priorities, my thoughts and opinions on this retirement subject are certainly not, "one size fits all"!!!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,902,265 times
As a non retiree who still has 15 years away from retirement, I hope you guys stay welcoming to others. I visit here to help gain wisdom on preparing from retirement from folks who have been through it and have some pretty good advice for us "young folk".

Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
As a non retiree who still has 15 years away from retirement, I hope you guys stay welcoming to others. I visit here to help gain wisdom on preparing from retirement from folks who have been through it and have some pretty good advice for us "young folk".
There is no specific set 'retirement age'. Some will retire at 65, others might not until they are 72. I have known co-workers who got their pensions and retired at 38. I got my pension at 42. Everyone is different.

Don't let the old codgers chase you away.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Same here.

I came here to learn and to live vicariously through those of you already retired and enjoying life

Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM

575 posts, read 637,895 times
I, personally, welcome anyone who has a valuable contribution to make to this forum - but...

I'm going to off the PC consensus for a moment and say that I, absolutely, do find it strange that Serious Conversation hangs out here so obsessively - good topics or not. It feels voyeuristic to me and I just can't help feel that it's a bit on the creepy side for such a young kid (if he is who he claims to be). It's not like he's in a position to need advice, support or pertinent answers to questions that affect his life. It's as if he's getting something from directing conversations and observing us.

Also, recently, on the thread about climbing stairs (and subsequent adjustments in lifestyle, home purchase, etc.) I had a 40-something 'gentleman' call me out and others as slovenly, overweight, lazy Americans because we're choosing to purchase one-story homes or making other adaptations to our lifestyle and, in some cases, health-related limitations. I, flat-out, confronted his aggressive behavior and lack of awareness.

Lastly, we had a 30-something girl who posted the question 'how do we get over getting old' with the implication that we've lost our looks, etc. It has proven to be a valuable discussion for sure. But she never came back, never engaged with anyone - so, again, it feels like an observation on her part rather than active participation.

Again, in no way do I suggest exclusion, but I do prefer to interact with 50+ folks who are facing decisions and life issues that we can relate to and provide support for. I realize my opinion may be in the minority...

Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM

3,943 posts, read 3,261,008 times
CD forums---The bar without the booze. I've been reading and posting here quite a while, and over the years I've seen people come here with a fire in the belly, only to have that fire be extinguished by the naysayers who find some perverted delight in delivering a mean spirited admonition. Some have come to love the "bar fight" mentality here, other have chosen to moderate their own contribution through well thought out civil discourse.

So many of the old hands here have learned the art of skimming through the thread titles and responding to those which have some relevance to their lives. Civility abounds in some of the posts while the bar fight is going on all around them, my hat's off to those posters who have maintained their cool amid the bitterness and chaos of others posts. I enjoy reading, so this site has no more allure than some others I read on a daily basis.

From time to time I take a break from CD and enjoy the peace and quiet of those websites which promote civility among posters. All in all, I still think CD is a great place to convene with others when wanting to view alternate views to your own. Regarding the retirement forum: It's simply another slot to participate in, or just read through. I fail to understand those who take any of this too seriously..

Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM

6,123 posts, read 9,076,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
CD forums---The bar without the booze. I've been reading and posting here quite a while, and over the years I've seen people come here with a fire in the belly, only to have that fire be extinguished by the naysayers who find some perverted delight in delivering a mean spirited admonition. Some have come to love the "bar fight" mentality here, other have chosen to moderate their own contribution through well thought out civil discourse.

So many of the old hands here have learned the art of skimming through the thread titles and responding to those which have some relevance to their lives. Civility abounds in some of the posts while the bar fight is going on all around them, my hat's off to those posters who have maintained their cool amid the bitterness and chaos of others posts. I enjoy reading, so this site has no more allure than some others I read on a daily basis.

From time to time I take a break from CD and enjoy the peace and quiet of those websites which promote civility among posters. All in all, I still think CD is a great place to convene with others when wanting to view alternate views to your own. Regarding the retirement forum: It's simply another slot to participate in, or just read through. I fail to understand those who take any of this too seriously..

Say what??? You mean there are OTHER websites like CD??? Where are they? What are they called? I have been on here so long that I think its time to find diversity !!! LOL

Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
^^^^^^^^^^ PhxBarb: I was thinking the exact same thing!!

jertheber: Would you share some of those sites with us?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
There's a whole lot of forums here. For the Retirement one to have the most 'off topic' reports makes us sound like a bunch of crotchedy old sticks in the mud.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or