U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,214,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I, personally, welcome anyone who has a valuable contribution to make to this forum - but...

I'm going to off the PC consensus for a moment and say that I, absolutely, do find it strange that Serious Conversation hangs out here so obsessively - good topics or not. It feels voyeuristic to me and I just can't help feel that it's a bit on the creepy side for such a young kid (if he is who he claims to be). It's not like he's in a position to need advice, support or pertinent answers to questions that affect his life. It's as if he's getting something from directing conversations and observing us.

Also, recently, on the thread about climbing stairs (and subsequent adjustments in lifestyle, home purchase, etc.) I had a 40-something 'gentleman' call me out and others as slovenly, overweight, lazy Americans because we're choosing to purchase one-story homes or making other adaptations to our lifestyle and, in some cases, health-related limitations. I, flat-out, confronted his aggressive behavior and lack of awareness.

Lastly, we had a 30-something girl who posted the question 'how do we get over getting old' with the implication that we've lost our looks, etc. It has proven to be a valuable discussion for sure. But she never came back, never engaged with anyone - so, again, it feels like an observation on her part rather than active participation.

Again, in no way do I suggest exclusion, but I do prefer to interact with 50+ folks who are facing decisions and life issues that we can relate to and provide support for. I realize my opinion may be in the minority...
OMG yeah.

HAHAHA I remember that attack on lazy unhealthy people who DARED want a single story house especially in retirement years.

The thing IS, most of the shocks come from threads by people asking "for those who have done it". Or "those faced with the decision".

I don't object to someone 30 years old lecturing and pontificating to retirement aged adults on the internet. As long as they can take replies right back without getting ~offended.

But they sure SHOULD disclose their age so people who don't know them can totally ignore pretending to blend in as a senior with life experience and wisdom.

How about:

"I'm only 30 and hope to find my permanent retirement place while I'm still working". (doesn't even make sense but okay)

Versus:

"If you REALLY wanted to retire someplace else you would have done so while you were still working".

If I really want to have a dumb conversation talking in circles with a 30 something - I'll call my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Quote:
I, personally, welcome anyone who has a valuable contribution to make to this forum - but...

I'm going to off the PC consensus for a moment and say that I, absolutely, do find it strange that Serious Conversation hangs out here so obsessively - good topics or not. It feels voyeuristic to me and I just can't help feel that it's a bit on the creepy side for such a young kid (if he is who he claims to be). It's not like he's in a position to need advice, support or pertinent answers to questions that affect his life. It's as if he's getting something from directing conversations and observing us.

Again, in no way do I suggest exclusion, but I do prefer to interact with 50+ folks who are facing decisions and life issues that we can relate to and provide support for. I realize my opinion may be in the minority...
What do people think I could possibly be getting out of it? I'm not making any money off this. I'm far from perfect and have my own problems and things I need to work on, but I don't see chatting on this forum as one of them. People think I'm writing a book on it, but I'm not and the stuff on this forum is diverse and often just odds and ends. I don't think I post "obsessively." I really don't post much while at home or on the weekends. Much (to my occasional detriment) of my non-working hours are spent on the roads or out doing things. I don't know where people get this impression that I'm like some nut or recluse pulling seniors' strings like a puppet master. I've had some family issues that have slowed me down lately, but once I get these sorted, I'll be back out more.

For me, this is often no more than chit-chat to pass the time during slow periods and for me to throw scenarios out there that either I'm going through or know of.

People who know me in real life often run stuff by me. I've become kind of the "numbers/data" person for most of my friends. Sometimes my posts come from information I find out by being told directly. Other times, I'll post something that I doubt is 100% true, but is implied as such when I hear it through the grapevine. Other times I'll post something I'm involved with myself. Other times I'll think of some "case" or "what if..." retirement/aging related scenario and throw that out and see what people think. I admit I'll post stuff that is downright gossipy, but that doesn't make it less of a discussion topic.

I also don't have many people to talk. Remember that I'm in a declining manufacturing town in the middle of Appalachia. It is not easy to find intelligent people to discuss anything with here.

I've been forthcoming that I'm not a senior, and that I use this forum as mostly chit-chat. I'm just surprised that people would be so riled up by people or posts on here to flood the moderators with complaints. I'm sure plenty of those complaints are regarding me, but if you are that worked up, either ignore me, scroll over my posts, or go on to something else.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:23 PM

30,692 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OMG yeah.

HAHAHA I remember that attack on lazy unhealthy people who DARED want a single story house especially in retirement years.
Before I was transferred to the Fleet Reserve, I had to attend a 1-week school on how to transition from Active Duty to Retiree. In that class the instructor told us that we should all look for single-story homes. He had problems with his knees and he felt it was an important topic to discuss.

Quote:
How about:

"I'm only 30 and hope to find my permanent retirement place while I'm still working". (doesn't even make sense but okay)

Versus:

"If you REALLY wanted to retire someplace else you would have done so while you were still working".
I could see it. Some people have only owned one house. Whereas others of us have relocated many times and have owned a bunch of homes.

The person who has only done it once may wish to buy a retirement home while he/she still has a full income.

The person who has owned many homes sees it as less of a huge crisis.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
... I also don't have many people to talk. Remember that I'm in a declining manufacturing town in the middle of Appalachia. It is not easy to find intelligent people to discuss anything with here.
In our small town, there are limited topics of conversation. medical problems [heart surgeries, diabetes and joint replacements], SSDI, restaurants that closed 30 years ago, hunting, fishing, rifle calibers, cars people owned in the 70s, and the politics of FDR.

Forums like this exist as a place to find sanity and a broader base for conversation.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:32 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In our small town, there are limited topics of conversation. medical problems [heart surgeries, diabetes and joint replacements], SSDI, restaurants that closed 30 years ago, hunting, fishing, rifle calibers, cars people owned in the 70s, and the politics of FDR.

Forums like this exist as a place to find sanity and a broader base for conversation.
It's about the same thing here, which is why I find myself on these forums. It serves as a window to the world in a sometimes very narrow local perspective.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's about the same thing here, which is why I find myself on these forums. It serves as a window to the world in a sometimes very narrow local perspective.
Many people here are retirees who migrated here after they retired. So they came from the West Coast or the Bible belt, or NJ, or whatever. If they were all locals the conversation would be worse. Since they are mostly 'from away' a lot of the talk is about how things were done in their home states.

Since this is the oldest state with the highest percentage of retirees, I suppose it comes naturally as a normal feature of having so many retirees.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM

576 posts, read 639,447 times
Quote:
What do people think I could possibly be getting out of it? I'm not making any money off this. I'm far from perfect and have my own problems and things I need to work on, but I don't see chatting on this forum as one of them. People think I'm writing a book on it, but I'm not and the stuff on this forum is diverse and often just odds and ends. I don't think I post "obsessively." I really don't post much while at home or on the weekends. Much (to my occasional detriment) of my non-working hours are spent on the roads or out doing things. I don't know where people get this impression that I'm like some nut or recluse pulling seniors' strings like a puppet master. I've had some family issues that have slowed me down lately, but once I get these sorted, I'll be back out more.

For me, this is often no more than chit-chat to pass the time during slow periods and for me to throw scenarios out there that either I'm going through or know of.

People who know me in real life often run stuff by me. I've become kind of the "numbers/data" person for most of my friends. Sometimes my posts come from information I find out by being told directly. Other times, I'll post something that I doubt is 100% true, but is implied as such when I hear it through the grapevine. Other times I'll post something I'm involved with myself. Other times I'll think of some "case" or "what if..." retirement/aging related scenario and throw that out and see what people think. I admit I'll post stuff that is downright gossipy, but that doesn't make it less of a discussion topic.

I also don't have many people to talk. Remember that I'm in a declining manufacturing town in the middle of Appalachia. It is not easy to find intelligent people to discuss anything with here.

I've been forthcoming that I'm not a senior, and that I use this forum as mostly chit-chat. I'm just surprised that people would be so riled up by people or posts on here to flood the moderators with complaints. I'm sure plenty of those complaints are regarding me, but if you are that worked up, either ignore me, scroll over my posts, or go on to something else.
Look, I get that you're lonely and probably quite bored. And, I'm sorry if I made you feel defensive - but I've asked you before why you're hanging out on the retirement forum so often and you never replied, which made me wonder just what your motives were.

There are thousands of other CD threads you could contribute to and, judging from the number of posts you've made, I'm pretty sure you do hang out all over CD pretty regularly. But, still, you seem unnaturally curious about a generation with issues you won't be facing for, at least, 25+years.

Obviously, you have a right to hang out wherever you wish, but why not spend some time on other social media sites with more people in your own generation? Here's a couple of links that break it all down by age. I know my 30-something kids like chatting on Instagram and, of course, Facebook.

https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/201...-networks-age/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-age-group/

And BTW, I've never reported you, nor would I.

Regards,
Layla

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Serious Conversation, we have had quite a few discussions in this forum and a lot of it has been me to you etc. I have developed a sense of why you are in here and what your interest in life are and your opportunities to explore them locally.
I get it and your post describing why you post was exactly what I had surmised was going on.

Hey reality check folks. This is one of the most general topic forums in C-D and offers a base of people to discuss things with over a wider time frame during the day. Yes most of us are retired and there is a flow of people from early in the morning to late at night to participate with. This works for you and many others in the forum.

Keep on posting, you are a bright intellectual person with a wide range of interest and a great perspective on a lot of topics. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. I rarely find you whistling in the dark and yes you are serious and yes you do like conversation. That in my book makes you a great contributor.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,266,434 times
Here's one I have enjoyed reading, just for a refreshing break from CD

Senior Forums - Friendly Community for People over 50

Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,169,633 times
Quote:
But, still, you seem unnaturally curious about a generation with issues you won't be facing for, at least, 25+years.
To be fair, Serious Conversation IS facing many of those issues now, in the form of a dysfunctional family who are unfortunately successfully pushing their problems with aging onto him. I hope he follows through with his plans to leave his hometown sooner rather than later, so he can get out from under that mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or