U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM

30,705 posts, read 49,503,410 times

Advertisements

My high school graduating class had 750 students. A few died during high school. My class has a Facebook page and they do reunions every 5 years. They just held their 40th 2 weeks ago. One guy is in charge of posting photos whenever we learn of a classmate passing.

I am currently 58 and it seems like these memorials are happening pretty frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,067,210 times
'Aging' can encompass any phase of life, my thirteen year old grandchild is aging and has middle school concerns. While I oppose the rigidity of the 'get off my lawn' thinking, I'm not sure that reading posts from people approaching middle-age and how to cope with empty nest would keep me here.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 AM

296 posts, read 150,350 times
I like it!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM

6,898 posts, read 7,303,124 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that reading posts from people approaching middle-age and how to cope with empty nest would keep me here.
I'm not a pick up my marbles and go home kind of person.
The point is that 'retirement' is no longer as AGE-RELATED a topic or phase of one's life AS IT USED TO BE PERCEIVED.

If there's a 40- or 45-year-old retired person....that person may not be interested in any of the "older" retiree issues, even as that person may be dealing with empty nest issues. And has every right to post about that here (Not that anyone said they didn't)

Just like I'm single and not interested in any of the married people issues.

So I'll just do what I imagine we all do.
Click on a thread whose title interests us, see what the thread starter says, and either read more and comment -- or not.

Last edited by selhars; 09-26-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
^^^^^

Yup like I read the first post on "What Age were you happiest/unhappiest?" and only clicked on the last page to clear it from my haven't looked at list and never put my two cents in. Just not something I had any input for.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

So I'll just do what I imagine we all do.
Click on a thread whose title interests us, see what the thread starter says, and either read more and comment -- or not.

No fair! You're using common sense!

However, I don't really think that's what we "all" do. If we all did it, there wouldn't be so much complaining and so much discussion about younger people posting here. I wish we all would do it, so I am with you, as I wrote that very suggestion into my original post for this thread. Indeed, lots of people are with us on this, but unfortunately not "all".

Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 PM

12,760 posts, read 14,110,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the point is dying young is rare as we get closer to retirement age and really is a poor criteria for long term retirement planning unless you have a fatal disease .

it is kind of man bites dog news and that is why we tend to remember those who expire pretty young.

at 65 , a couple has a 97% chance one will be alive at 75.
Yes, yes I do get it....but considering that my "rattling off the names...." that you suggested would take not a whole lot of seconds, I found it very funny.

Sorry I should have put one of the yuk-yuk icons next to my comment, didn't realize the frowning purple face would not do it.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,127 times
I am surprised at the moderator's comment that number of reported posts is the highest here. But I don't see it as a problem. My experience on this forum, which is my favorite, is the great variety of topics discussed here, and for the most part there is a lot of wisdom in the collective posts. I think we will be well served to remember that when we point a finger, four are pointing at us.

I know of only one thread that got closed, and I don't post here as often as others. I think it got heated about feminist issues. I think it is GOOD to have a heated discussion about feminist issues :-)

I agree that anyone can post here, of course. It will be boring is we only talked as retired people, we all have other identities as well. But there was a poster who seemed to ask a lot of questions but did not participate. I don't usually respond to posts like that. I trust a poster who asks a question but also shares her own thought so we know where she is coming from. If someone is using this forum for research, fine, but I want to know and decide if I want to participate.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,947,197 times
While it is hard for me to comment without knowing the content of posts that were reported I too find it very surprising that this board would have that reputation. Who is to say a 30 year old does not belong here? We should be encouraging posters who are thinking about their future at such a young age. Hell it's got me wondering if I upset some folks. I've been posting here for about 4 year, when I was 54 and years away. Wonder if others feel I don't belong? All I can say about that is get bent.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:22 PM

172 posts, read 108,416 times
I have a few years to retirement and am in the planning stages. This forum has been a wealth of information. Any question I have asked pertaining to my questions about retirement have been answered and I am very appreciative of the intelligence and input of many people on this forum that have taken the time to be so helpful and honest in their responses. There are several topics that I have seen that I don't feel relate to this forum. But, if I am not interested in it I just don't read it and move on. I don't think it is necessary for some of the snarky comments. If you don't like the topic, just let it go. Play nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or