U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
And I cringe when someone complains that Serious Conversation should not be posting because of his age
I don't think I'll be posting in this subforum again but before I go I'd like to say that you have completely misstated the objections to SC's frequent and lengthy postings.

I don't have a problem with his age. I have a problem with the decades of maturity and life experience he's missing, yet he feels qualified to (in my case) lecture to a 64 year old who does have that maturity and life experience.

I have never reported any thread as off-topic.

Vote me off the island if you like. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 PM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
...... I am at a stage where I am constantly reviewing and evaluating my retirement savings and financial situation, but also my lifestyle, location and what retirement is going to look like for me/what I want it to be........
This is a good description of topics that clearly belong regardless of the age of the poster.

Personally I would like to see fewer of the chat topics asking about past good and bad jobs, things people collect, etc.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 PM

1,193 posts, read 942,811 times
I'm offended by this topic and have requested it be closed.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 PM

2,531 posts, read 803,938 times
Admittedly, I have just scanned the last five pages, but aren't we taking all of this just a tad too seriously? Do I get pissed off when someone says something I perceive to be arrogant or offensive? Sure. Am I totally jealous of those who have enough money to be retired already? You bet. But honestly, if it gets to be too much I just stop reading.

When I get useful information out of this forum, I am grateful and scour the internet to follow up. If I have specific questions, I direct message the people I think might have the answers and I have to say I have gotten some very good, practical help, from some very kind people.

This forum may occasionally devolve, meander, wander off into the woods and get lost, but it always seems to find its way back and the trolls and bad eggs inevitably get bored and move on, like any bully will if you ignore them long enough. I think one of the problems is people get sucked in (human nature) and pay them too much attention. Anyhoo, that's my two euro. Now I need to start a thread on why I can't find any information on.....and for the record, I just turned 65.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 PM

3,899 posts, read 1,655,140 times
Since topics on the retirement forum (and all the others) show up in the "Active threads from around the forum," sidebar, you're going to get people of all ages chiming in.

Not sure why you would want to exclude anyone.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 AM

5,482 posts, read 4,096,685 times
Wow I had no idea of the drama here. I like the variety of topics an ages and viewpoints. If you start narrowing things down to much you'll just see the same things said over and over.
I've gotten into a few heated discussions on cd but I have never reported a thread or a poster. I don't have to engage or read their posts. It's just as easy for everyone else to do the same.
I say let's just leave everything as is.
I'm willing to bet whatever changes you make you will never eliminate the static. If people are that upset they can ignore or leave, but I hate the idea of any kind of censorship.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,295 posts, read 3,342,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sounds to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the mod was saying that the retirement forum has the most reports of 'off topic'.

ER was voicing his surprise at this. There's a whole lot of forums here. For the Retirement one to have the most 'off topic' reports makes us sound like a bunch of crotchedy old sticks in the mud.

And there's a lot of comments about someone being too young to post on the retirement forum, like there's a minimum age requirement.

His attitude/request is that the posters here lighten up and not be so narrow-mindedly snooty.

if that's the gist of his post, I agree.
Well folks, here is my .02 cents worth............
I think PAhippo is quite correct in his summation. I would like to add a few additional thoughts as well.

I have been on CD since July 2007 and am in my 86th year of living and am in my 24th year of retirement.
As is true with any large group of participants that offer their comments, thoughts and subjective opinions on a particular subject, ....."all walks-of-life" are represented here, and the various levels of maturity, education and 'consideration-of-others',...of the poster are quite often "self-evident". So,..............
When a particular post in a given thread is not in alignment with "my thinking", I just "consider-the-source", delete the post and go on to another thread that doesn't aggravate me.
As my wonderful daughter says:....."Don't sweat the small stuff"!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
I think we've been having a very responsible and adult conversation and see no need for intervention on the thread.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:43 AM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
At 69 I don't think I need to be protected from a 49 year old. I can hold my own and, generally, I don't see grounds for complaining. We do have a method for ignoring posters if we don't want to hear from them. A 30 year old needs to be thinking about retirement. I retired very early and could have benefited from this forum before I retired.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:05 AM

71,595 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is a good description of topics that clearly belong regardless of the age of the poster.

Personally I would like to see fewer of the chat topics asking about past good and bad jobs, things people collect, etc.
lots of discussions here have nothing to do with aging or retirement planning . i have seen them drift off to politics,religion and their cats and dogs . but it is what it is . i just don't bother reading what i have no interest in . simple fix .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or