U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM

2,215 posts, read 743,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
This whole thread reminds me of the passionate controversy in Gulliver's Travels where one faction asserts eggs should be opened from the small side & another group protests that the opposite is obviously correct... much ado about nothing. We all found our way to this forum without needing to read a manual & figured out that retirement is pretty much a latter passage of life that includes some financial planning but isn't limited to that. All I needed to see was the title of the Landline thread for example, to skip over it, as I do with most of the threads that don't interest me, what is difficult about doing that?

And unless someone is personally attacking or spamming, etc... I really don't understand why they would be reported, just move on. Live & let live, post & let post, learn who to ignore. I vote NO on dividing the forum or restricting who should contribute.
Could be some people just want a nice, safe echo chamber where everyone agrees and commiserates with each other. No one is allowed to upset any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,485,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
This whole thread reminds me of the passionate controversy in Gulliver's Travels where one faction asserts eggs should be opened from the small side & another group protests that the opposite is obviously correct... much ado about nothing. We all found our way to this forum without needing to read a manual & figured out that retirement is pretty much a latter passage of life that includes some financial planning but isn't limited to that. All I needed to see was the title of the Landline thread for example, to skip over it, as I do with most of the threads that don't interest me, what is difficult about doing that?

And unless someone is personally attacking or spamming, etc... I really don't understand why they would be reported, just move on. Live & let live, post & let post, learn who to ignore. I vote NO on dividing the forum or restricting who should contribute.
I'm fairly new to the whole 'agism' thing, and when I first experienced it I was really offended at the complete rudeness and disrespect from people who don't have a single gray hair. It's complete stupidity on behalf of younger people to assume that they get smarter as they get older, but older people are stupid.

I don't think there should be a division or restriction on discussion topics and participation, as it is indeed easy to spot the ridiculous "I'm young and am therefore better at everything" perspective ... to choose to take the high road and attempt to educate, or to voluntarily self-exclude.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM

2,525 posts, read 801,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lots of discussions here have nothing to do with aging or retirement planning . i have seen them drift off to politics,religion and their cats and dogs . but it is what it is . i just don't bother reading what i have no interest in . simple fix .
exactly.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
I think I'd agree that "Retirement" is not exactly the right title for this forum, given the variety of posts. For the most part I don't mind the wide variety of topics covered (although there is a LOT of "young people today, why when I was their age" kvetching that makes me roll my eyes and mostly just move on).

If we stuck with strictly "retirement" based posts this would be a less interesting forum, I think. We have a lot of people in very different positions and circumstances here, a strict limitation to "I worked 45 years and now I have retired and am on a pension" type threads would get rid of a lot of us (and that includes me).

Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Could be some people just want a nice, safe echo chamber where everyone agrees and commiserates with each other. No one is allowed to upset any other.

Nail hit squarely on the head! Well said, and with few words! I didn't really address that problem directly in my original post, but a lot of the contentiousness and over-reporting here stems from what you described. Part of it has to do with cliques. A clique will circle the wagons and attack and report anyone who "upsets" one or more of them. I have been the victim of that more than once, and I even have a pithy name for the clique, which I will refrain from stating in the open forum.

In my opinion, just because someone is "upset" is not ipso facto proof that the rules have been violated. It could be that the person is too easily upset and that no one has done anything wrong.

I just love your wonderful choice of words: "....a nice, safe echo chamber.....". Give me vigorous debate any day. This is not supposed to be a kindergarten.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:13 AM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The point is a perfectly valid thread can be hijacked or go off the rails by younger people (who don't disclose it) along the way. LIke something out of left field "If you wanted to retire to a different geographic location, you should have done so in your working years".

Or "Older people don't like change or moving."

LOL okay.

Or "don't run with scissors".

I hijack threads with quips all the time. In this retirement subforum, everybody is fine with it. It's supposed to be fun & entertaining or people would stop reading it. I generally try to maintain a fairly high signal-to-noise ratio when I post.

I think it's really healthy to have your assumptions challenged. If you're 45 and contemplating retiring to some cool place where you've always wanted to live, why wouldn't you take the challenge to see if you can pull the trigger now? I can't speak for anybody else but moving is a huge PITA and big changes in life can be very unsettling. I'm a planner. If you introduce too much change into my life, I can't plan. With this whole retirement thing, I get one shot at it. If I screw it up, things could get pretty lean. The more change I introduce into my life, the more risk I take on that I screw it up.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM

5,461 posts, read 4,091,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Then lets start up a subforum where those people can just repeat the same mantra and fresh ideas are a no no and you must be voted in by the other and you can be voted out by them too.
Actually they should not even be on a public forum but maybe have their own private facebook page.
I hope as I age I never get as sensitive and closed minded as what I am perceiving some people are apparently here.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Then lets start up a subforum where those people can just repeat the same mantra and fresh ideas are a no no and you must be voted in by the others and you can be voted out by them too.
Actually they should not even be on a public forum but maybe have their own private facebook page.
I hope as I age I never get as sensitive and closed minded as what I am perceiving some people are apparently here.

You can't believe how delighted I am to see your expression of basic ideas that I have held for some years now regarding the Retirement Forum. (I rather imagine the same situation prevails in other City-Data forums).

Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM

8,394 posts, read 9,141,441 times
Quote:
Wow way to misrepresent that thread and slam the old fogies while you're at it. My impression was the vast majority of the contributors were cell not landline users.

How old am I?

I posted to it with 100% valid reasons (not that it's any of your business to claim I don't know what I'm talking about, not making sense or intolerant).

And I began my post with the fact that I own a business and.....

Do YOU own a business? A SERVICE business dependent on telecommunications? I use my landline AND my cell AND my iPad AND a second android, AND my computer for telecommunications.

I GUARANTEE you I'm more active and tech savvy than you and Mrs5150 - whom you referenced. My business operates 365 24/7 and I'm out in my vehicle, or walking, or with clients OR on my SELF BUILT WEBSITE. Communicating with the public the whole time.

Now considering my entire corporate career before owning businesses was spent at the PHONE COMPANY in every conceivable position - including R&D and IT - including a Product Manager with a $5 Billion P&L, including directly reporting to the President - your claim is particularly amusing. And insulting.

See what I said before?

Someone pompously attacks another member or exhibits ageism or some other nonsense but the reply is often to be considered "personal attacks".

I'm not difficult, I'm definite.

~Coco Chanel.

P.S. And YES, of course the quality of a Telco landline (not Reseller) is indisputably superior and it doesn't make a user Intolerant, or Lacking Sense to believe that. Especially if they actually USE THE PHONE.

That doesn't mean a cell isn't acceptable for lots of people. But maybe also you're the only person who's unaware of the AT&T dropped call problem.

Jeeze none of the landline users were even particularly argumentative about it - they simply answered the question and gave their reasons why.
Quote:
Well here's an example of unneccessary and innacurate ageism discrimination.

Took me all of three seconds to see it here.

Of course the mod post probably meant ageism against younger people. Probably because it's widely ACCEPTED and normalized to bash older people.
Oh gee, now my 67 year old feelings are hurt.

Posted from my iPhone

Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM

2,525 posts, read 801,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh gee, now my 67 year old feelings are hurt.

Posted from my iPhone
wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or