U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:33 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - I know the big farmers market in the city takes food stamps. Heck, even the Schwan's people take food stamps.
This program matches every EBT dollar with an additional dollar.

Spend $1 of EBT and buy $2 of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
Quote:
Oh and BTW, some ppl stated that I should not expect as much money now as when I got paid before retirement. That is so wrong. I expect more. I'm a licensed professional. I have the training and experience from when I did work. This job will pay me approx. $20K more than when I worked before retirement.

A word to the wise (I don't mean to be disrespectful, but want to give you a little advice- just as everyone gave me ideas and suggestions) Never expect less, because that is what you will get. Expect more for your talent and you will get more.
That sounds a little like an 'entitlement' attitude, but I'll not presume you meant it that way.
Good for you that you can make more.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,266,787 times
Something still not right. No increase in pension if you add more years working directly for the state? Is it a contributory pension and you donít getnto contribute? Then that would make sense.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post

Oh and BTW, some ppl stated that I should not expect as much money now as when I got paid before retirement. That is so wrong. I expect more. I'm a licensed professional. I have the training and experience from when I did work. This job will pay me approx. $20K more than when I worked before retirement.

A word to the wise (I don't mean to be disrespectful, but want to give you a little advice- just as everyone gave me ideas and suggestions) Never expect less, because that is what you will get. Expect more for your talent and you will get more.

So thank you everyone for your help, ideas, and suggestions. It gave me the questions to ask.

I don't expect less, or more. The rules for how each pension works is what it is, and that is what we agree to when we start.

I'm a high school drop out who made over 65K per year, I was paid for my talent.

I think it would be more appropriate to say, "know the rules and make sure they are upheld, and make your decisions on the knowledge of those rules to maximize your benefits."

Locally, we have financial advisers who specialize in state and county pensions, for a small fee you go and meet with them and they lay it all out for you so you can make informed decisions. I did that and attend every seminar given on the subject.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-26-2017, 07:52 PM

362 posts, read 297,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
$50k pension at $540/mo is 7 years and 9 months. Sounds about right.
Um ...That's 50,000 a year for life. NYSERS Pension is 50% of your FAS or Final Average Salary. I happen to receive a similar pension from NYS and its closer to 3,400 a month. I really don't want to get into the tall grass here over numbers. Countrykaren is a sweetheart, I want only the best for her. Not many hearty souls would return to work, pay a penalty, and persevere for 10 more years to boost their pension at 75 years old. The deeper we dig the more complex the equation gets, this is why I love Countrykaren. She will twist you into a pretzel...then ask about retirement in one of the states she hasn't already asked about, or maybe a RV....Pure Genius......And some day that farm will sell, I can just feel it....Countrykaren you are simply the best....Good luck my dear.....

Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 AM

11,133 posts, read 8,544,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
I know someone is going take this the wrong way, I'll be called snarky, rude or insensitive. I love Countrykaren, she is a prolific poster, has started hundreds of similar 'what should I do?' scenarios... She is gifted in creating threads that never quite add up. She's clearly very intelligent, click on her name and see the hundreds of discussions she's initiated. She's scored again, 'highly specialized skills' ...like what? A NYS Pension that pays her very little but she has to pay back 50,000 plus..to return to work...A farm that never sells...Bless her soul, she is a treasure......There is no right or wrong answer to her questions, or problems, ..they don't exist, ..just enjoy the ride.....She's great ....
Interesting perspective...

Old 09-27-2017, 07:53 AM

844 posts, read 747,492 times
I will not be paying back my pension (plus interest, BTW). It isn't worth it to reinvest in a new recalculated pension at age 75 (what if I don't work until 75 due to illness, accident, etc). Even the pension ppl said it wasn't advisable . I would need to pay back 103 months.

As I said this was more of a rant when I received the wrong information from someone else, or maybe she didn't understand that I didn't want my pension recalculated. Maybe she just wanted me off the phone (@3:30pm) so she could just go home.

We can live on my Hubbie's salary, but our expenses do not let us save anything for old age. We live day to day (and it wasn't like that in 2008 when I took retirement- expenses go up over the years when your money stays the same.). It's not having money accumulate in the bank, etc that bothers me. My mother is 90 and in perfect health- We can live a long time and I do not like not having money that will support us in our 80's and 90's.

I think there is more to life than sitting in front of a TV drinking beer in the middle of the woods in retirement. We want to travel, and do things. We want to be near other ppl (tho not urban or even suburban), nearer to shopping and doctors, and things to do. If we want to eat out twice a week -or more- I feel I should be able to do that and not worry if we will have the money and do that. When younger we had our farm, and animals. Now we are ready for a new lifestyle.

My plan is for my whole salary to be put in the bank (for some liquid) and invested for however long I work. I plan (so does Hubbie) to work until 75. Plans get waylaid all the time, of course, but....that's the plan. My SS and pension as it is now, will help with bills- as it does now. My whole paycheck will not be touched.

I'm sorry if some ppl feel I post too much on city data. (no not ready) Anyway, this is a place to get information from ppl who "been there, done that" and I appreciate the info they provide. I answer ppl also to the best of my knowledge, and expect the same from others.

Yes, we were considering retirement in a different state- Florida being primary. We went down and didn't like it for many reasons, except I still like vacations there. But when you look at it from a resident perspective, it is not for us.

RV living is out because of info we received which did not make it an option for US- it works for some ppl , not us.

Oh and BTW- we did have a buyer (the third person who came) for the farm but we turned it down for-again- a variety of reasons. As I said, when you expect more- if you are patient , you will get more. We rent out the hay fields, altho the pay range is $25/ac for that, so you don't make a lot on it.

Most ppl are not looking for a farm- that's a specialty property, so we will wait. Working will help with the money situation. "Regular" houses aren't moving fast either and many have been for sale for a long time. We are priced within range. A farm on our street about 1/2 mile away, with only 1 barn (we have 4) and 60 ac (we have 103) is also for sale at a higher price than us. It's just the market and a waiting game.

So thank you all who really want to help someone and gave answers to my questions. The rest of you might want to look into why you are so hateful, and perhaps jealous.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Retirement is not working. A pension is a post retirement benefit from a specific employer. You stop working and receive that benefit. Leaving a employer and taking another job is just that. What the OP did in a forum like this muddles the issue.

Rules are written not for the OP's situation but to prevent others from gaming the system.

What is the pension based on? Highest three year salary? So she leaves comes back, works three years at a much higher salary and gets a big bump in pension based on that higher salary.

Does that work for people?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Regarding expecting more, having strong work history in large corporation.

Went through a huge downsizing.

Had a similar opinion, all my experience, etc. and I should find a job that pays at least an equal amount to what I was earning.

Got quite a shock when I started applying for jobs with other companies. Crashed into reality. They didn't care how much I knew or how much experience I had. I was new to them and therefore I would start at the bottom. You can expect more but when it comes to reality, you can get quite a shock.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
^^ Sometimes I wish I'd had a job paid for by taxpayers for the past 30 years.

Quote:
The rest of you might want to look into why you are so hateful, and perhaps jealous.
There we go with what could be taken as a hint of entitlement attitude, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement