U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,058,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Now you are just being absurd. You clearly live in a very low cost area. Many people live in places where your pension wouldn't even cover the real estate taxes on a completely paid off house. I have no idea where the OP lives and what the cost of living there is, but I trust her to know her financial situation better than you do.
She lives in NY State - out in the country somewhere. If I remember correctly, they have been trying to sell their place for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Now you are just being absurd. You clearly live in a very low cost area. Many people live in places where your pension wouldn't even cover the real estate taxes on a completely paid off house. I have no idea where the OP lives and what the cost of living there is, but I trust her to know her financial situation better than you do.
I used to live in California. I have an idea of what it costs to live there. Which is why I moved and why I would recommend moving to anyone still stuck in the paradigm of living in that high COL area.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM

271 posts, read 116,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks everyone. Monday I will be speaking to someone else in "Restorations". If I understand correctly, I need to pay it back any way I want, but it needs to be in total before I retire (again). From what I understand, my pension will be recalculated when I retire again.

So even if I HAD to pay it back the first year- I'd still get an tiny income because my pay would be over the $50K for that year.

I did look into "outside" jobs and went on interviews, but either they want to pay slave wages, and/ or the job wasn't want I really do and it was basically made up along the way during the interview. (I will be investigating deaths with NYS. Plus I wasn't hired yet, but I do have the quals since I've done this before. It is a new position for this agency which I have not worked in before.)

As far as returning to work to start with, I want to work. I'm bored and feel I have something to contribute. Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be. Who knows, I may stay in it past 10 yrs. Right now my health is better than ever.

We do have our house up for sale to down-size and we will save $$ there.

Thanks again.
Hi countrykaren

In reading the title then starting on your post... you wondered how Seniors can get a break. I thought you were in dire straights thus desperate to get back to work. Despite years of ill health you and your husband endured, you needed to get back in the saddle again

Per Zillow, you seem to live in a very low COLA area. A beautiful area. Per Sperlings Best Places, 55K per year is the average household income.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/13320_rb/
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I would re-consider working full time until your deathbed. You are set. Enjoy it. As we get older, we learn there is less "to prove" and relationships become more important. Relationships take time. As we age, juggling work and family becomes more difficult. And can result in taking on too much risking our health towards the end of life. I Maybe your husband is drawing absolutely no income and other unknown factors are involved here which are not my business.Just some thoughts to consider with my attempt to keep things in perspective. No matter what i wish you the best

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I used to live in California. I have an idea of what it costs to live there. Which is why I moved and why I would recommend moving to anyone still stuck in the paradigm of living in that high COL area.
Amen to that ^^^

Though I guess we're staying put but moving about 1.5 hrs away to a better area of California

Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM

979 posts, read 606,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
No, not at all.

I know many of my neighbors who live on much smaller pensions.

Of course people do not need as large a pension as mine.

Which is why I must question wealthy people who whine about their pension income being so much more.
Will you please just give the OP a break!!

Maybe you don't have good recall of previous posts by the OP so I will take the liberty to fill you in. The OP left her job a few years back in the hopes of starting a successful business but unfortunately it did not pan out. Both she and her husband suffered setbacks from illnesses which rendered both unable to work at various times. The OP has also been trying to sell her farm for quite awhile despite continually lowering the price, and at this stage of the game she will probably have to short sell which not only will she loose money but this will impact her credit rating for a couple of years which can cause major difficulties in her ability to secure financing for major purchases like a car. The OP is trying to make ends meet the best she can and for her that includes returning to work so she can pay her bills, keep food on the table, a roof over her head, and pay for health insurance which is a burden you are fortunate not to have because as a military retiree you have the benefit of Tricare. If you had a pension of $540/month and had a health insurance premium expense of $600/month you might be voicing the same rant as the OP.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She lives in NY State - out in the country somewhere. If I remember correctly, they have been trying to sell their place for years.
I missed this, sorry.

I usually don't skip pages in threads but did so this time. Nice reminders to read before replying

My bad

Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
I missed this, sorry.

I usually don't skip pages in threads but did so this time. Nice reminders to read before replying

My bad
That's okay - you wouldn't get the info from her opening statement - i just remember her from a thread she started maybe two years ago.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
If you had a pension of $540/month and had a health insurance premium expense of $600/month you might be voicing the same rant as the OP.
The OP pension income is $1740/month. Try to keep up.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,286,872 times
If the OP wants to go back to work -- and work until age 75 -- more power to her.

I wish I could be out of the work force for YEARS and expect to make what I was making before.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,266,787 times
Seriously, Submariner is being intentionally argumentative. If everyone wanted to live in the backwoods of Maine, then the COL would go up there too. Personally, Maine is one of the last places I would live in retirement. The majority of people prefer to live in more expensive COL locations, and the extra cost is well worth it. While the OPs conclusion that "they", whomever "they" are, keep seniors in poverty was clearly an emotional non substantiated rant, as stated, she is bored, unhappy not working, and wants the additional choices that more income can give them. All of which is perfectly normal, her life to live as she sees fit, not Submariners version of what should be enough.

It is rare that someone can leave the workforce for so long, and then at such a late age get employed at a decent salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement